[MAP] Interference v9

[MAP] Interference v9

Postby Unnamed » 12 Jul 2013, 19:26

First I wanted to create some platforms hovering in the air connected to the base on the ground, but I decided the map is big enough. And this way it's a team or multi DM/CTF/DTF/BB map.

update: v9
-more detailed buildings outside the map
-removed the geometry on the pillars and added pushers there (=> no camping)
-reduced height of the platforms in front of the stairs by 1/2
-removed the big windows of the 4 buildings near the alpha/omega base and changed their appearance
-removed many camping spots (I hope I removed enough of them :) )
-clipped the small walls inside the map so you can't stay inside them
-changed the obstacles on the left and right side to be a kind of pusher and the obstacles near the stairs to be big pipes
-other geometry and texture changes

update: v8
-many small changes, some of them were removed again in v9
-added walls at alpha and omega base for multi (they have much less cover than sigma/kappa)

update: v7
-changed environment: indoor -> outdoor
-many geometry and texture changes
-changed smoke particles
-less verts and better fps

update: v6
-removed these blue pulsing idk what it is
-removed few other details to have less verts
-changed particles

update: v5
-added sounds
-changed tile textures around the middle
-changed tiles at the stairs
-changed the yellow scrolling textures in the middle

update: v4
-moved multi-BB flags further away from the wall and fixed the entity for kappa
-moved rocket up and added spawn locations for DTF
-bomber-ball don't spawn in the middle now
-the windows are a bit more detailed
-some texture changes
-added 8 light ents wich were missing
-in multi there is a grenade instead of a mine on both sides at the upper layer

update: v3
-removed the elevators. It looked too empty so I added something that looks like the elevator from the previous version but without any function
-changed the two walls at the upper layer (screenshot)
-changed skybox and terrain outside the building

update: v2
-removed the platform
-both elevators move you down
-Added 2 teleports to the upper end of the elevators. They are only used for BB. The bomber-ball spawns in one of them.
-in DM/CTF/DTF the elevators are just decoration
-changed skybox
Attachments
interference_v9.zip
(3.52 MiB) Downloaded 290 times
screenshot.0064.jpg
Tip: how to climp on these walls: hold q pressed and run into a wall.
screenshot.0063.jpg
Last edited by Unnamed on 16 Dec 2013, 17:48, edited 14 times in total.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP] Interference

Postby Ulukai » 12 Jul 2013, 20:24

The screenshots look nice, fresh and unique. Looking forward to try it out once I have some time.
Ulukai

Re: [MAP] Interference

Postby TheLastProject » 12 Jul 2013, 22:05

After having tried it, I must admit that I like it, but there are also flaws with this map.

Personally, I like the layout and the general look. Some things have a fair bit of detail in them (the slightly moving mapmodels on the location where hot air is blowing up close to the elevators). I also think the layout would make for good gameplay, promoting a fair bit of different routes for CTF-related games. Also, the "feel" to the map, for me at least, is quite enjoyable.

The elevators, however, I do not like a bit. The flying up is weird, especially the white you suddenly move through (which is probably a hidden teleporter). Then, the area on top, doesn't really add a lot. Even worse, jumping down and staying close to the elevator makes you suddenly drop dead. This feels quite weird, because we went up through them just fine. Also, the way the elevators "push" you makes for glitchy animations while falling down, and a weird push when attempting to walk into the wrong elevator. I therefore feel that the elevators do not add anything and, if anything, lower the general quality of the map.

In general, I like the map, even though my framerate on it is a tad bit lower than on other Red Eclipse maps.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Re: [MAP] Interference v2

Postby Unnamed » 14 Jul 2013, 11:11

The elevators are now only used in BB to get the bomber-ball. The only problem is that you don't see in wich the ball is.

WIth outlines my framerate is lower than 20 so I had to turn it off while editing.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP] Interference v3

Postby Unnamed » 12 Aug 2013, 12:45

v3 released
Unnamed

Postby TheLastProject » 12 Aug 2013, 17:13

v3 seems great. A few small things:
- On bomber ball, the goals are placed so close to the wall the text above it is not visible all the time. Please consider moving them a tiny bit further away from the wall
- On multi CTF, team kappa has two flags. Please remove one :)
- On defend-the-flag, the rocket spawns inside of the middle flag. This looks a bit weird (although I understand the reasoning). Should probably be fixed somehow, but no clue how.

My framerate on this map is pretty low due to the openness, but I'm not sure what could be done about it. I personally enjoy the map, both gameplay-wise and style-wise, and I personally would be fine with a map like this being added to RE's default rotation.
TheLastProject

Postby Unnamed » 12 Aug 2013, 18:01

TheLastProject {l Wrote}:- On bomber ball, the goals are placed so close to the wall the text above it is not visible all the time. Please consider moving them a tiny bit further away from the wall

Haven't noticed this. I'll do that.
TheLastProject {l Wrote}:- On multi CTF, team kappa has two flags. Please remove one :)

The second flag has to be for bomber-ball only.
TheLastProject {l Wrote}:- On defend-the-flag, the rocket spawns inside of the middle flag. This looks a bit weird (although I understand the reasoning). Should probably be fixed somehow, but no clue how.

I could just push the ceiling inside the tube higher and place the rocket there.
Unnamed

Postby TheLastProject » 12 Aug 2013, 19:04

Unnamed {l Wrote}:
TheLastProject {l Wrote}:- On bomber ball, the goals are placed so close to the wall the text above it is not visible all the time. Please consider moving them a tiny bit further away from the wall

Haven't noticed this. I'll do that.

Great!
Unnamed {l Wrote}:
TheLastProject {l Wrote}:- On multi CTF, team kappa has two flags. Please remove one :)

The second flag has to be for bomber-ball only.

Quite easy to miss something like that. Thanks!
Unnamed {l Wrote}:
TheLastProject {l Wrote}:- On defend-the-flag, the rocket spawns inside of the middle flag. This looks a bit weird (although I understand the reasoning). Should probably be fixed somehow, but no clue how.

I could just push the ceiling inside the tube higher and place the rocket there.

Well, I guess that could work. Hopefully it won't cause more issues than it solves.
TheLastProject

Postby qreeves » 13 Aug 2013, 02:02

In most maps the middle rocket is set to "not defend, bomber-ball" and another rocket (or two) is placed elsewhere in the level with the inverse setting.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Unnamed » 13 Aug 2013, 09:26

qreeves {l Wrote}:In most maps the middle rocket is set to "not defend, bomber-ball" and another rocket (or two) is placed elsewhere in the level with the inverse setting.

In this map there is no good place elsewhere for the rocket. I can make the bomber-ball not spawning in the middle, but I would have to add two rockets so the distance between the flag/spawn location and a rocket is the same for every team. I think I will do this for dtf.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP] Interference v4

Postby Unnamed » 14 Aug 2013, 18:53

v4 released
I think I fixed all problems except the low framerate.
Unnamed

Postby Ulukai » 18 Aug 2013, 00:15

What can I say, another fantastic looking map of yours. I'm not too fond of the white floor tiles, but other than that the style and visuals are great! I think they suit RE perfectly.
Maybe some sounds to support the smoke in the middle? And some textures in the middle scroll faster than others (the orange ones all going to the central tower structure). And check the small sides of the trak5 tiles above the orange lights at the staircases, the voffset is not right everywhere. But these are very minor issues given the detailed look of this map. :)
Ulukai

Postby Unnamed » 18 Aug 2013, 12:44

I tried other tile textures:
Attachments
screenshot.0159.jpg
Last edited by Unnamed on 18 Aug 2013, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
Unnamed

Postby Ulukai » 18 Aug 2013, 14:56

Unnamed {l Wrote}:I tried other tile textures:

I found no download containing this version, only the white tiles. Another suggestion which suits the blue theme of the map I think:
screenshot.jpeg
Ulukai

Re: [MAP] Interference v5

Postby Unnamed » 18 Aug 2013, 16:40

Ulukai {l Wrote}:
Unnamed {l Wrote}:I tried other tile textures:

I found no download containing this version, only the white tiles. Another suggestion which suits the blue theme of the map I think:

I only uploaded the picture. I think this texture looks better, because it's less shiny.
I used both textures in v5 now.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP] Interference v5

Postby Ulukai » 18 Aug 2013, 18:44

Tile textures are much better now, I like the combo you used. And the little details to the big tiles at the staircases are nice as well.
Just fyi, the scrolling of textures is still not coherent everywhere but it's not a big deal since most players won't ever notice if they're not studying the map.
Ulukai

Re: [MAP] Interference v6

Postby Unnamed » 24 Nov 2013, 13:11

v6 released
I tried to increase the framerate. There are still a bit too many verts (or not enough walls).
Unnamed

Re: [MAP] Interference v7

Postby Unnamed » 06 Dec 2013, 19:54

v7 released
I changed it to be outdoor instead in a single huge room and some details like the lamps were removed. The framerate should be much better now.
Unnamed

Re: [MAP] Interference v8

Postby Unnamed » 13 Dec 2013, 19:55

v8 released
more details and many small changes
Unnamed

Re: [MAP] Interference v8

Postby Evropi » 14 Dec 2013, 14:06

I haven't played this since version 2 or so and I was very impressed by how radically the map has changed. Your continued commitment to delivering high-quality maps has not gone unnoticed.

However, there are some areas of serious concern here. Please do not take my criticisms personally; the last thing I want is for you to stop making good maps. Hopefully, you can make this already good map even better by considering my problems with it.

blocks.jpg
Probably the worst section of the map for me.

These blocks are just annoying to jump over. You can't double jump over both of them at the same time and need to stop and move back for jumping over the second block. Additionally, they are laid out in a series of 3 steps which can also be infuriating to jump over. They break the flow of movement inherent in the game.

Also note the fact that I was able to stand inside the wall. This behaviour is acceptable but be warned that it can lead to camping.

ugly.jpg

These platforms feel a little out of place on the map. They do not fit in well with its general style. They're also kind of ugly. :( Also, they break the flow of movement a bit (but to a lesser extent).

floating.jpg

These platforms look great, but they really shouldn't be floating. They should be very small steps that you should just be able to walk over. There is enough cover on the map already so don't replace them with boxes. But they need lowering, and they certainly should not be floating!

boring.jpg

This is basically the penultimate camping spot. I would slap you with a trout for that, IRC-style, but I think it's okay given that the whole map is full of camping spots (such as the platforms on the top).

My complaint here is that the out-of-map section is rather boring. Try juicing it up a bit. Aesthetics are everything. :)
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Re: [MAP] Interference v9

Postby Unnamed » 16 Dec 2013, 18:01

v9 released

Thank you for your feedback. It is helpful.
Evropi {l Wrote}:These blocks are just annoying to jump over. You can't double jump over both of them at the same time and need to stop and move back for jumping over the second block. Additionally, they are laid out in a series of 3 steps which can also be infuriating to jump over. They break the flow of movement inherent in the game.

I just added them in v8. I replaced them now with a wall/pusher. This way you can also get fast to the platform above.

Evropi {l Wrote}:Also note the fact that I was able to stand inside the wall. This behaviour is acceptable but be warned that it can lead to camping.

I wanted to clip these walls, but it seems I have forgotten about it.

Evropi {l Wrote}:These platforms feel a little out of place on the map. They do not fit in well with its general style. They're also kind of ugly. :( Also, they break the flow of movement a bit (but to a lesser extent).

Well, I tried something out. I just placed a big pipe there now.

Evropi {l Wrote}:These platforms look great, but they really shouldn't be floating. They should be very small steps that you should just be able to walk over.

I didn't realised how high they are until I pressed F9 ;) . They have to float, because I want the ground under the panels to be illuminated by (not visible) lamps on the bottom of the pannels.

Evropi {l Wrote}:This is basically the penultimate camping spot. I would slap you with a trout for that, IRC-style, but I think it's okay given that the whole map is full of camping spots (such as the platforms on the top).

I tried to remove the most camping spots.

The buildings outside the map were also improved.
Unnamed