PyORPG - a Python/PyGame ORPG engine

PyORPG - a Python/PyGame ORPG engine

Postby Marcus » 11 Jun 2013, 14:02

PyORPG is a work in progress. The goal is to create an ORPG engine that allows everyone to be able to setup their own ORPG adventure - so it strives to be simple, easy and customizable.
It is currently based on the source code of Mirage Source (http://www.key2heaven.com/ms/), which is an old Visual Basic 6 ORPG.

Screenshot
pyorpg1.jpeg
Screenshot (3rd of July 2013)

(View full size here: http://i.imgur.com/KTMpzcA.jpg)

Some of the currently implemented features:
* Log-in (creating accounts, characters etc.)
* In-game commands (/who, /help and more)
* Map editor - opened by calling the in-game command "/mapeditor"
* Chat

As you can see by the features, this game (engine) is nowhere near finish. It's not even an ORPG yet - at this stage I would rather call it a chat with game graphics.

What I will add to the engine is:
* RPG elements (stats, items etc.)
* Combat (PvE, PvP)
* Trading
* NPCs
* Skills/Spells

Link for the client: https://github.com/marcusmoller/pyorpg-client
Link for the server: https://github.com/marcusmoller/pyorpg-server

The source code is licensed under MIT ( :mit: ). I was considering LGPL, but I wanted users to be able to package their games without the need to share the source as well.
You can find the license for the game assets in the GIT repository as well.

Feel free to help out developing PyORPG by forking the project on GitHub and adding pull requests!
Last edited by Marcus on 03 Jul 2013, 18:26, edited 3 times in total.
Marcus

Re: PyORPG - a Python/PyGame ORPG engine

Postby shirish » 12 Jun 2013, 16:30

Are you going to make a game which showcases the engine or no ?
shirish

Postby Marcus » 12 Jun 2013, 17:14

shirish {l Wrote}:Are you going to make a game which showcases the engine or no ?

Eventually, yes.

I just don't want to create a full game (story, maps, NPCs etc.) before the engine is atleast 80-90% "complete".
Marcus

Postby shirish » 12 Jun 2013, 20:03

Marcus {l Wrote}:
shirish {l Wrote}:Are you going to make a game which showcases the engine or no ?

Eventually, yes.

I just don't want to create a full game (story, maps, NPCs etc.) before the engine is atleast 80-90% "complete".

Hopefully you'll keep us apprised us of updates. Btw what is an ORPG ? I have known about JRPG's but this is the first time I have heard of ORPG's .
shirish

Postby Marcus » 12 Jun 2013, 20:09

shirish {l Wrote}:
Marcus {l Wrote}:

Eventually, yes.

Hopefully you'll keep us apprised us of updates. Btw what is an ORPG ? I have known about JRPG's but this is the first time I have heard of ORPG's .

I'll do the best I can to keep you updated. You can always have a look at the commits over at GitHub if you want.
ORPG is for Online Role-Playing Game.
Marcus

Postby Marcus » 21 Jun 2013, 12:39

A few updates - 21st of June 2013

I've setup a website for the project - you can find it here: http://www.powrtoch.org/pyorpg/

A (very) few engine upgrades:
* The engine is relatively more stable now. A bunch of account upgrades.
* Added background music (still need a way to mute it, though)
* Added some experimental PvP (you can attack a player, but the player doesn't receive any damage - yet). Also added a slash sound to add to this.
* Some more minor stuff.
Marcus

Postby Marcus » 03 Jul 2013, 17:42

Some more updates - 3rd of July 2013

I've now been busy setting up a small wiki page, so that it is easier to test out PyORPG. You can find it here: https://github.com/marcusmoller/pyorpg-client/wiki (have a look under Quick Start)

* I've resolved a few problems with account/character creation, but it's still not perfect.
* Started messing around with some new fonts both in-game and in the menus. Unfortunately, I don't have that big design skills.
* I've been messing around adding a GUI to the server, but haven't been successfull thus far. It'll be there though.

EDIT: I've also added a few more screenshots, which you can find here: http://www.powrtoch.org/pyorpg/about.html
Marcus

Postby Marcus » 08 Jul 2013, 11:28

And yet again some updates - 8th of July 2013

I've now started working on inventory and item support - also added a rather basic tooltip for the inventory.

You can see an example here:
pyorpg-inv.jpeg
Started adding items and inventory.

I also added a very basic configuration file support, which I mostly added so that I could easily disable the music (it was getting rather rough hearing the same music over and over again).

The items have really added an RPG feel to the game, so I am pretty excited about this. Next stop is an in-game item editor.
Marcus

Postby Marcus » 12 Jul 2013, 14:24

More updates - 12th of July 2013

Full item and item editor support has now been added. Item stats such as STR+ and durability is also working.
The inventory system is working, but I have yet to add equipment functionality.

Here are some screenshots:
pyorpg-iteminv.jpeg
Showing the item editor.

pyorpg-invsample.jpeg
Showing the player inventory.
Marcus

Postby Marcus » 28 Jul 2013, 16:52

And more updates - 28th of July 2013

I am pretty excited about this update, as PvP is now implemented.

* Players can attack and kill each other, but they don't drop their inventory (yet).
* The damage is based on the player stats and the bonus attributes of the weapon.
* The player respawns after being killed.

Attached is a screenshot showing off the chat log after PvP (sorry for the big image size).
pyorpg-pvp.jpg
Marcus

Postby Marcus » 12 Aug 2013, 13:57

... And more - 12th of August 2013

Only small improvements to the engine due to being away on vacation.
I've just set up a forum for the project, which can be found here: http://www.powrtoch.org/pyorpg/forums/

I hope the forum will eventually be as good as the Mirage Source forum was (http://www.key2heaven.com/ms/forums/index.php). It was filled with community-provided tutorials for modifying the engine to your needs, creating your own graphic assets and lots more.

Time will tell if it'll be just as good.
Marcus

Postby Marcus » 17 Aug 2013, 21:09

A little update - 17th of August 2013

I've changed the default tilesheet and item sprites into Liberated Pixel Cup entries. They look great and I can't wait to change the character sprites as well.

Admins can now spawn items using the map editor and these can be picked up by players using the RETURN key.

pyorpg-mapitems.jpg
Marcus

Postby Marcus » 30 Aug 2013, 16:01

Rather big update - 30th of August 2013

NPCs are now working perfectly! Create and edit your own NPCs using the /npceditor command.
I've also changed the player sprites, so that they are 32x64. They are borrowed from Liberated Pixel Cup as well.

Screenshot (please don't mind the naked dude):
pyorpg-newsp.png
(Please don't mind the naked dude)
Marcus

Postby Marcus » 21 Sep 2013, 16:26

And an update (yet again) - 21st of September 2013.

This update brings magic into the game!

Here's a copied text from the weekly Screenshot Saturday over at reddit /r/gamedev:
Spells

All spells have animations and use spritesheets for animation. An example

The sprite animations are currently borrowed from the original Mirage Source project.

There are currently 5 types of spells which can be used for creating your own spells in the in-game spell editor.

These are:

Add HP - adds a specified amount of HP to the target
Add MP - adds a specified amount of MP (mana) to the target
Remove HP - removes a specified amount of HP from the target
Remove MP - removes a specified amount of MP from the target
Give item - gives the caster a specified item. This will be useful for conjuring items such as bread etc. (like the Mage spell in World of Warcraft)

Targetting

Another focus has been targetting. Players can now target NPCs and other players by clicking on them using the mouse. This will add a hovering arrow to highlight which player/NPC is currently targeted.

See the screenshots for details.
Attachments
pyorpg-spell2.png
pyorpg-spell1.png
Marcus

Postby d3hydr8 » 04 Oct 2013, 21:09

This is really cool Marcus, I really hope you don't drop this :P Also, I cannot tell if you purposely do not allow people to register and login on you're forums or if that's something you have not noticed ?
d3hydr8

Postby oberhamsi » 09 Oct 2013, 11:31

just found you on github! i love it. i'm eagerly awaiting a demo... reading the source until then :)
oberhamsi