[MAP] Trespass by Greaser, JD, Rabidbutton (updated)

[MAP] Trespass by Greaser, JD, Rabidbutton (updated)

Postby greaserpirate » 14 Apr 2013, 23:28

This map started out as a collaboration between me, JD, and Rabidbutton over a month ago. Since then, I've been fixing it up with their help and the help of others who provided feedback. Now, it's ready for the world to see.

Tresspass is mainly an arena deathmatch map for 2-6 players (team or non-team) but it can also be played in CTF. It's set in the middle of an old, Earth-style city, right near an old nuclear power plant, with looming skyscrapers bearing the names of corporations that once ruled the metropolis.

Also, JD discovered that there's a pretty cool parkour path among the skyscrapers, so I decided to make it playable for Time-Trial and Gauntlet; also, if the jetpack mutator is selected, you spawn outside the clip of the arena and can play a big, open match somewhat like Center. (Still, playing inside the arena is recommended)

Screenshots:

20130407002018.png
Down in the middle (older)

20130407003729.png
Near the Alpha flag (older)

Quick Update, April 16:
-Correctly named
-used Quin's suggestion, made invisible walls for dm/ctf/dtf/bb that disappear in gauntlet/time trial
-gauntlet players now spawn inside the map

Update June 4:
-reworked outside buildings; kool-aid pool is now full nuclear stack. Also looks less prominent on minimap
-More indications for timetrial/gauntlet that disappear in other modes where the goal is
-very minor texturing adjustments
-faster path no longer exists
-time-trial starts inside, like Bonifarz suggested
Attachments
trespass_v2.zip
Enjoy!
(1.9 MiB) Downloaded 423 times
Last edited by greaserpirate on 05 Jun 2013, 03:58, edited 2 times in total.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Re: [MAP] Tresspass

Postby bonifarz » 15 Apr 2013, 10:28

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:Also, JD discovered that there's a pretty cool parkour path among the skyscrapers, so I decided to make it playable for Time-Trial and Gauntlet; also, if the jetpack mutator is selected, you spawn outside the clip of the arena and can play a big, open match somewhat like Center. (Still, playing inside the arena is recommended)

I do like the style of the environment and the level of detail here, really nice. What feels very unnatural is the clipping that separates the interior from the jetpack/trial region - at least when you are walking on the clipping. Maybe you can make use of those one-way-cubes you also placed in erosion, or you can place some mode-specific mapmodels, maybe large invisible ones as pseudo-clipping for certain modes? - EDIT: Oh, mapmodels have no flags for muts and modes, which actually makes sense, so that suggestion is nonsense.

Of course, I could not resist to test the trial route. I notice that there are some more arrows pointing to the spawn area, so maybe you intended to put the first checkpoint somewhere else? When I try to follow the arrows one lap takes about 40 seconds, but if you climb the arc from the other side it takes only 15 seconds. A trial route that starts down in the corridors with mode-specific obstacles that block some pathways could be fun. I really like the idea to have a map for both deathmatch and trial games.
PS: Handsome jack's tomb, eh? =)
bonifarz

Postby qreeves » 15 Apr 2013, 22:00

You control the visibility of mapmodels with triggers, see what I did with the grate models in vault to block the paths in CTF/BB.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby greaserpirate » 16 Apr 2013, 00:33

bonifarz {l Wrote}:When I try to follow the arrows one lap takes about 40 seconds, but if you climb the arc from the other side it takes only 15 seconds. A trial route that starts down in the corridors with mode-specific obstacles that block some pathways could be fun. I really like the idea to have a map for both deathmatch and trial games.
PS: Handsome jack's tomb, eh? =)

True, I'm probably going to have to fix the 15-second route... I don't remember if the chekpoints are working, but I don't think you can complete time-trial without going throught the 'start' checkpoint.

I'm not sure how a time-trial that starts in the corridors would work: I wouldn't know how to implement mode-specific obstacles (except grunts/turrets) and the player can't be allowed to escape the arena because then they could just hide in survivor.
Time-trial on this map was mostly an accidental 'easter egg'; I don't know if, in the end, it can be as enjoyable as a real time-trial map.

And about the handsome jack tombstone... we thought that the space in the middle (where the boxes are now) needed some cover, so I decided to copy a tombstone I'd made in another map. The lifesize Butt Stallion statue I made didn't copy correctly though :lol:

Anyway, how did you like the deathmatch aspects of the map?

(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
greaserpirate

Postby bonifarz » 16 Apr 2013, 06:55

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:True, I'm probably going to have to fix the 15-second route...
A bit of clipping or a slightly steeper slope will do.
greaserpirate {l Wrote}:I don't remember if the chekpoints are working, but I don't think you can complete time-trial without going throught the 'start' checkpoint.
True, it just puts you back to the spawn point without a lap time (which would be zero then anyway).
greaserpirate {l Wrote}:I'm not sure how a time-trial that starts in the corridors would work: I wouldn't know how to implement mode-specific obstacles (except grunts/turrets) and the player can't be allowed to escape the arena because then they could just hide in survivor.
Very true, you want to avoid that camping. Quin's hint about triggers that toggle mapmodels made me curious to experiment.
greaserpirate {l Wrote}:Time-trial on this map was mostly an accidental 'easter egg'; I don't know if, in the end, it can be as enjoyable as a real time-trial map.
Yeah, that was quite clear, I just like the idea of a trial extra on a non-trial map, although it is "inefficient" and difficult to set up.
greaserpirate {l Wrote}:Anyway, how did you like the deathmatch aspects of the map?
I think this one can get quite popular for its density and compactness. E.g. I have the impression echo was played very often for that reason, and this one looks so much better.

Btw: Is the spelling for trespass intentional? If it is an allusion, then I didnt get it.
bonifarz

Re: [MAP] Trespass

Postby greaserpirate » 16 Apr 2013, 16:35

bonifarz {l Wrote}:Btw: Is the spelling for trespass intentional? If it is an allusion, then I didnt get it.

:think:
Wow, I feel dumb.

Updated, see first post.

(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
greaserpirate

Re: [MAP] Trespass (now starts inside for gauntlet)

Postby TheLastProject » 16 Apr 2013, 16:52

I've tried it on gauntlet, and I must say, wow. This is the most confusing gauntlet map I ever played. I could not figure out where the goal was until the teams switched (although I did get a clue around half-time, I did not figure out how to reach that place). To also make it possible at all to reach the goal without dying because you need to wait to regenerate impulse, a fair bit of jump pads will have to be added close to the buildings to allow getting on them quickly. To make it newbie-friendly, you want to assure that you could reach the goal with nothing more than single jumps, although obviously a route with double jumps would be faster.

(Small note: the arrows on the building are cute, but practically invisible and unclear to me. If you want to use arrows, you'll need to find a better way :P)

Also, a minor thing, I got stuck between a building and the huge arch on which the gauntlet goal rests.

For other modes, however, the map plays quite well. The problem seems to be in the area for gauntlet.
Attachments
2013-04-16-173740_1360x768_scrot.png
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby bonifarz » 16 Apr 2013, 17:24

Hey Greaserpirate.

I hope you don't mind when I post a modified map here.
This is just a suggestion for a longer path in trial games, with minor improvements to the arrows (directions, clipping) and the arc shortcut is fixed (minor change of the slope there, asymmetric). I also include a dmo in case that helps. There is another (difficult) shortcut in the last section, though.
I just see you have added mode specific blockers, too, so that is nothing new, and I may have missed some other fixes here.
Keep up the nice mapping.
EDIT: Just took a look at the trespass.zip, the blend 1 doors are perfect as blockers and the arc shortcut is fixed nicely.
Attachments
trestest.zip
new trial path suggestion, dmo included
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 367 times
bonifarz

Postby jadwight » 01 Jun 2013, 21:54

thats what opensource is all about!

Greaser have you checked out his edits?
jadwight

Postby greaserpirate » 02 Jun 2013, 00:30

jadwight {l Wrote}:thats what opensource is all about!

Greaser have you checked out his edits?

Bonifarz' edits? Yeah.

I think I've come to the conclusion that this should be an 'easter egg' for time-trial/gauntlet/jetpack (not in any of those rotations, but still playable in those modes), since it was just intended to be a deathmatch map in the first place.

Which reminds me, I haven't submitted it to the tracker yet. Usually I get a lot of feedback so I'm sure a map is done, but on this the feedback was mostly on the exterior, which I'm not sure can be made as good as 'real' maps for those modes.

(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
greaserpirate

Postby Evropi » 02 Jun 2013, 02:29

Hey greaserpirate,

I like the map. While I've been waking up to the fact the Trak textures are way overused and cause every map to look about the same, I think they are used to a good effect on this map.

There are many things the map does really, really well. I'd especially like to draw attention to the way you have formed walls. Every single steep section or low wall still seems ideal for wallrunning - aside from the normal high walls. Other map-makers could certainly take a cue from this map! In general, it is a well-done and well-textured map.

I ran into only one problem. I have the minimap on instead of the HUD that the game comes with as the default setting. For some reason that is gratuitous to me, you have a toxic bubble bath at the top of one building, which creates a perfect green that looks like a glitch. I just had to zoom out to find out what it was. Considering it's not at all visible to players and just looks ugly on the corner map, it might as well be removed, don't you think? Here is a screenshot of what it looks like for reference:

minimap.jpg
How the bath looks on the minimap.

I'll be honest with you; I probably won't play this map. I think maps that are as complicated as this are only really appropriate for duels. Examples of this are Live Fire and Panic. However, Tresspass is far too big to be suitable as a duel map. I didn't try Gauntlet mind you, only a few deathmatches (both team and FFA). It was okay, but just not my type.

I wish you the very best of luck with Tresspass! Let's just say I won't be surprised if it's the latest Greaserpirate map to end up in RE. :)
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby ballist1c » 02 Jun 2013, 03:57

can't decide whether a gauntlet-timetrial/deathmatch map is a genius idea or a terrible one
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Re: [MAP] Trespass by Greaser, JD, Rabidbutton (updated)

Postby greaserpirate » 05 Jun 2013, 04:11

Update:
-reworked outside buildings; kool-aid pool is now full nuclear stack. Also looks less prominent on minimap
-More indications for timetrial/gauntlet that disappear in other modes where the goal is
-very minor texturing adjustments
-faster path no longer exists
-time-trial starts inside, like Bonifarz suggested

Here's a picture of the new reactor stack:
20130604224534.png

And the indication for gauntlet:
20130604224454.png
I hope it's not too subtle.

Still, when this map is finished I'll submit is as a deathmatch map first and the timetrial/gauntlet/jetpack modes will probably stay as easter eggs.

Also, Evropi, for the record: Trespass is about the same size as Panic but smaller than Livefire.

(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
greaserpirate

Postby Ulukai » 05 Jun 2013, 09:11

Damn that's looking good, too bad I haven't had the time yet to really test the map. It's a bit dark looking from the screenies, but I like what I see!
Ulukai

Postby Boognish » 09 Jun 2013, 23:36

Love it!
Boognish