The big TODO list

The big TODO list

Postby Bertram » 06 Jan 2013, 13:10

Hi,

I've created the current list below:
(Note that most of those points aren't really needed to make the game playable, but simply just cooler :) )

I don't plan to work on the points I've not put reservation for now, except for when it's needed for the story or I feel like to. ;)
So, if you'd like to help, pick one and/or propose a new one, and have fun!

For the currently known issues discussed in the game, please have a look here: https://github.com/Bertram25/ValyriaTear/issues

Translations:
- Add translations for more countries.
Harder: I'd love to see support for "harder to bring" countries, such as Arabic, and Asian countries for instance.

C++:
- Add the 'Cursor memory' option there: enabled by default, used to keep in memory (or not) the latest battle command chosen.
- Add support for the monster info list, displaying the monster image and name, XP and HP when you've seen and beaten a monster.
Later, provided we create a 'scan' spell, more info should be shown on monster which have been scanned.
- Add support to display a bit of description about the different places of the world, such as the layna village
and the layna forest, should be done within the world map.

Scripting:
- Add a mini-game at game start with orlinn, replayable, not long, and not hide n seek based.
- Add a side-quest where you can catch butterflies.

Harder: (Should be reserved to people quite at ease)
- Add a 'Quick save' option, only one, not one per slot, details need to be discussed.
- Add support for scriptable monster attack animation.
- Add Unicode support for filenames.
- Add step sounds support for when the characters/map sprites are running based on the tile they are on.

Other content:
- Finish F1 help with images and pages support.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Re: The big TODO list

Postby jahallc » 01 Feb 2013, 14:16

Hi Bertram,

I'm not sure how soon you were wanting a translation for the game in Spanish, but I'm currently a Spanish graduate student in the U.S. working on a translation certificate. As part of my thesis, I am translating video games. I can't promise anything soon as I'm still working on projects for class, but eventually we could provide a Spanish version! Just letting you know the option is out there =)!

Best,

Jordan
jahallc

Postby Bertram » 01 Feb 2013, 21:24

Hi jahalic, :)

I'd be more than happy to have the game translated in Spanish. :)

I don't know how at ease you are with such things but feel free to open the es.po file in the po/ folder of the repository and update it using poedit against the given valyriatear.pot file in the same directory.
Once you've made changes you're happy with, send the po file back and I'll put the update in.

Feel also free to ask me, NaN, or BioHazardX if you need help to test your changes.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby shirish » 06 Apr 2013, 16:48

Bertram {l Wrote}:Hi,

<snipped>

Scripting:
- Add a mini-game at game start with orlinn, replayable, not long, and not hide n seek based.
- Add the side-quest of getting back chicken to grandma.
- Add a side-quest where you can catch butterflies.
- Add more details to the maps, polish what you see fit as long as it's small fixes or additions.

<snipped>

Regards,

Now I wish I knew some programming. The ones given for scripting are interesting. Hope somebody does the required things.
shirish

Postby Bertram » 08 Apr 2013, 08:31

Hi Shirish,

IMHO, everyone that can do common logic thinking, can eventually compute things. (But that doesn't mean everyone enjoy this ;) ) What hurts is to get used to the burden of the language.

I'm quite sure you're already able to make certain tweaks, starting small to bigger simply by observing what is already done, that's what all programmers did at start after all.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby shirish » 09 Apr 2013, 14:46

Just a little heads up for people, this is what is necessary for Episode 1 to be playable (made by Bertram25)

https://github.com/Bertram25/ValyriaTea ... t-15896677
shirish

Postby Bertram » 09 Apr 2013, 15:36

Hi Shirish,

A little correction, this is what I'm currently sure of what is necessary. ;)

After this list, I still need a couple other maps and dialogues, and will do an intermediate release, as the changes are already many! :D

The episode I will be "full" when the story will reach a point we're not that far from, but still lack a proper second "dungeon".

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby shirish » 10 Apr 2013, 17:10

Bertram {l Wrote}:Hi Shirish,

A little correction, this is what I'm currently sure of what is necessary. ;)

After this list, I still need a couple other maps and dialogues, and will do an intermediate release, as the changes are already many! :D

The episode I will be "full" when the story will reach a point we're not that far from, but still lack a proper second "dungeon".

Best regards,

Looking forward to the intermediate release then.

Update: Bertram25 today pushed some updates (after almost a week passed) and now only 5 things remain for the 1st episode release as per the Episode 1 discussion ticket :-

1. Readd the tileset images in the map data files, with a path relative to the map data file. This will comply with Tiled specs.

2. Start to test advanced Battle Events

3. See what I can import from Socapex's work on my humble own ;)

4. Add dialogue and fight in the village

5. Add missing crystal voice acts.

Now I know there are couple of mores tasks which he shared above which he needs to do before he makes the release, this is so that at least I can keep track of if he adds stuff in the TODO discussion ticket or checks them out. Github doesn't have to have some sort of history to know what he checked (although do think he checked something today.)
shirish

Postby Bertram » 20 Apr 2013, 13:42

Hey :)

I was out those days and enjoying a bit of sun before it disappeared again.

Now trying to bring what's next.

Hope you're going well either.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby shirish » 25 Apr 2013, 20:22

Betram made some changes yesterday. See :-

https://github.com/Bertram25/ValyriaTear/issues/126

1. Start to test and do advanced Battle Events

Story :-

1. Add missing crystal voice acts.
2. Add dialogue and fight in the village
3. Add flee from the village scenes

So still some time away but seems to be coming along.

Update: Two of the things he fixed yesterday so only 4 things remain as being shown above.
Last edited by shirish on 26 Apr 2013, 03:15, edited 2 times in total.
shirish

Postby Bertram » 26 Apr 2013, 00:01

@shirish Thanks for keeping info gathered somewhere for everyone interested. I really appreciate it. :)
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby shirish » 28 Apr 2013, 23:43

Bertram {l Wrote}:@shirish Thanks for keeping info gathered somewhere for everyone interested. I really appreciate it. :)

And two of those four were done today it seems :-

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
~/games/valyriatear$ git pull origin master
remote: Counting objects: 72, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (26/26), done.
remote: Total 51 (delta 40), reused 35 (delta 25)
Unpacking objects: 100% (51/51), done.
From https://github.com/Bertram25/ValyriaTear
 * branch            master     -> FETCH_HEAD
Updating 9e4cdb3..9321f01
Fast-forward
 dat/battles/tutorial_battle_dialogs.lua                                            |    4 +-
 .../layna_village/{ => battle_with_banesore}/battle_dark_soldier_idle_down.lua     |    0
 dat/maps/layna_village/{ => battle_with_banesore}/battle_lilly_idle_down.lua       |    0
 dat/maps/layna_village/battle_with_banesore/battle_with_banesore_script.lua        |  253 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 dat/maps/layna_village/battle_with_banesore/herth_walking.lua                      |   19 +++
 dat/maps/layna_village/battle_with_banesore_script.lua                             |  158 ------------------------
 dat/maps/layna_village/layna_village_riverbank_at_night_script.lua                 |    2 +-
 img/sprites/battle/characters/bronann/bronann_attack.lua                           |    2 +-
 img/sprites/battle/characters/bronann/weapons/steel/bronann_attack.lua             |    2 +-
 img/sprites/battle/characters/bronann/weapons/wood_bronze/bronann_attack.lua       |    2 +-
 src/modes/battle/battle.h                                                          |   12 ++
 src/modes/mode_bindings.cpp                                                        |   17 ++-
 12 files changed, 306 insertions(+), 165 deletions(-)
 rename dat/maps/layna_village/{ => battle_with_banesore}/battle_dark_soldier_idle_down.lua (100%)
 rename dat/maps/layna_village/{ => battle_with_banesore}/battle_lilly_idle_down.lua (100%)
 create mode 100644 dat/maps/layna_village/battle_with_banesore/battle_with_banesore_script.lua
 create mode 100644 dat/maps/layna_village/battle_with_banesore/herth_walking.lua
 delete mode 100644 dat/maps/layna_village/battle_with_banesore_script.lua

r$ git log
commit 9321f01eab85b497ae0f33a2bf5ded13d01cbb6a
Author: Yohann Ferreira <yohann_ferreira_at_orange_fr_>
Date:   Mon Apr 29 01:32:43 2013 +0200

Removed a debug statement.

commit bab4aab4b7628f40b9ffda30ecafc6e84cd6154d
Author: Yohann Ferreira <yohann_ferreira_at_orange_fr_>
Date:   Mon Apr 29 00:59:12 2013 +0200

Basically finished the riverbank battle scene.

It still needs some tweaking but it's complete.

I also added bindings to get the state of an actor, to avoid
    triggering a dialogue when bronann was fighting.

I also added a missing terminator time to its attack animations.

As can be seen it looks like the riverback fight scene is almost done, he just need to add some tweaks to it. Looking forward to playing it real soon now.
shirish

Postby shirish » 01 May 2013, 03:55

Bertram updated today morning and now only two are left :-
1. Add missing crystal voice acts.
2. Add flee from the village scenes

Hopefully by this week-end everything will be tied up and we would be able to play.
shirish

Postby Bertram » 01 May 2013, 08:06

Hi, :)

The voice acts might wait a bit since, I just can't get my hand on the missing cables (eh) :oops:

2 scenes left on my own before the next save point.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby shirish » 01 May 2013, 08:55

Bertram {l Wrote}:Hi, :)

The voice acts might wait a bit since, I just can't get my hand on the missing cables (eh) :oops:

2 scenes left on my own before the next save point.

Best regards,

o.k. cool waiting for it. :)
shirish

Postby Bertram » 01 May 2013, 22:49

First scene almost done. A bit of balancing and polishing awaits on the overall additions though :think:
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby shirish » 08 May 2013, 10:17

Bertram {l Wrote}:First scene almost done. A bit of balancing and polishing awaits on the overall additions though :think:

saw that, waiting for the next batch of updates :(
shirish

Postby BioHazardX » 22 May 2013, 13:45

It would be nice if someone creates a portrait-pack for some secondary (but important for the story) characters, at least for Orlinn, Flora, Lilly, Herth.
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Bertram » 22 May 2013, 14:18

It would be nice if someone creates a portrait-pack for some secondary (but important for the story) characters, at least for Orlinn, Flora, Lilly, Herth.

Oh, yeah! I wish that would happen also.

Since you thought about it, I'll try and see if someone would agree doing that on OGA, for instance.

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 22 May 2013, 14:50

Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Bertram » 08 Aug 2013, 08:57

Hi @BioHazardX,

Your idea just bore fruits!
http://valyriatear.blogspot.ch/2013/08/ ... raits.html

Thanks and best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby BioHazardX » 08 Aug 2013, 13:14

That's good! The game is becoming more and more beautiful; I pray for the volunteer to make the other missed portraits ^^
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Bertram » 09 Aug 2013, 08:55

Hey,

Only one requested portrait left. I guess i should have requested them all: ;)

Orlinn (WIP):

Herth (Orlinn and Kalya's father):

Sophia (the nomad merchant) - Final? version:
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby shirish » 14 Aug 2013, 08:25

Hi all,
These are the things missing from making Ep. 1 release :-

Story / Content:

Add missing crystal voice acts. (almost done! arg!)
Add pursuit maps (4/6 done)
0.6.0 RC1 Release!

Episode I Release:

Spread back status effects to the map mode. I could also add traps in the dungeon poisoning the characters, for instance.
Add "soft-edge" character movement support #208
Add a better looking world map.
Add second dungeon and boss.
Episode I Release! :D

This is from https://github.com/Bertram25/ValyriaTea ... t-22182124

We are getting there, just need four maps for forests, better looking world map and a second dungeon and boss and we should be set.

Hopefully we have something by the end of the month to enjoy :)
shirish

Postby BioHazardX » 16 Aug 2013, 11:11

So, will the 0.6 version include the first full episode?

For the second dungeon, I suggest to use this nice tileset from LPC http://opengameart.org/content/lpc-dungeon-elements , and adding new enemies for the next forest levels (like bees, worms, pumpkins, man-eater flowers etc. are suitable as habitat) always taken from LPC project (here http://opengameart.org/content/lpc-dungeon-elements ).

I was thinking that you can edit the names and the colours/skins of some already existing enemies like slimes, spiders, bats, make them stronger than before for the future levels. You don't need to redesign a new enemy, and this method is also frequently used by different games (even in Diablo and Torchlight games).
If I haven't explained well, you start to fight against some weak green slimes in the game, then you can meet them again but as stonger red slimes, again as purple in a dungeon, later yellow etc. Or applying this with spiders you can make them in tarantulas, black widows, and others.
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX