Dungeon "Security" elements AKA Traps and Doors

Re: Dungeon "Security" elements AKA Traps and Doors

Postby Danimal » 23 Feb 2013, 21:58

i added more ligths to make a good screenshot, actually is a bit darker due to the oclussion map
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 24 Feb 2013, 20:52

The spike trap is in the repository now, but not exported yet. I had to add an armature and rebake the ambient occlusion, and I also joined the two objects and the materials. You have to check the "normalized" button before baking AO. The result will be a lot brighter, so when you set it to multiply it will only darken the recessed areas. You can combine the AO with the diffuse map in an image editor.

What the model needed was a specularity map. It's only visible from certain angles, it really adds to the appearance, though. The rusty parts are a "bit" too shiny for rust, but it looks kinda cool. ;)
Spiketrap_render1.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 24 Feb 2013, 23:07

Indeed it does; any idea for the poison trap?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hc » 25 Feb 2013, 22:52

@Skorpio: AAA

@Danimal: Replace spikes with smaller/thinner needles and add some greenish ooze instead of red blood? Maybe wood instead of steel this time?
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby Danimal » 25 Feb 2013, 23:54

Sorry HC but i dont think that would made them different enought, i want them to be recognized at a sinle glance but im out of ideas...
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 26 Feb 2013, 01:16

Some kind of grate/vents which the gas rises out of.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Danimal » 25 Mar 2013, 02:21

After a total a lack of inspiration i finally had an evil revelation, see here the WIP poison trap; The pedestal will be black marble with green veins, the squares on the side will have engravings (need ideas about what to depict, maybe death-themed with the grim reaper...), The idea is that once an enemy gets near, the central rod (would an spear like tip be better?) elevates and start spinning, the skulls open their mouths from which a tube appears and begins to "spit" poison gas all around.

The pics are taken just to give a rough idea of what i mean, dont critic how bad the second one is, its just for early showing. Also the skull has quite a few polis (4XX x 3 skulls), but loses too much quality without them.
Attachments
wip1.png
wip2.png
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 25 Mar 2013, 20:33

Oh man, the second one is so bad! (just kidding :) ) I think it's a very cool idea and the trap looks already pretty nice. You can probably keep the skulls as they are, because really low poly skulls usually don't look very good.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 25 Mar 2013, 22:21

Donno , those skulls are too serious and bad taste, they don't match the game style ( I suppose the cartoonish one ) >
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 25 Mar 2013, 22:46

That skull is a simplified version of the one the future skeleton model will have, and i think the current art style took a turn for realism with Skorpio´s new tileset, not much cartoon remaining in OD. But i guess some people may think the skulls are too macabre. Just so you know, the future wood barricade will have a few impaled heads... :twisted:
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 26 Mar 2013, 18:38

Skorpio how should my workflow go?
Model -> Skin UVs -> texture -> ? -> profit

After texturing i wonder what kind of map ill need and in which order, any help?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 26 Mar 2013, 21:34

I either start directly with the high poly or make a low poly as base mesh for sculpting (of course it helps to have some concept art prepared). Then I paint the color texture in Sculptris and PS, but you can also do that in Blender after the unwrapping. When the texture is done I import the model in Blender and start with the retopology, then I unwrap and bake the colors, normals and AO to images and clean them up in PS (you can bake in xNormal, too). You can also just bake the normals and AO and then paint the color map in PS based on these maps. I create the spec (and gloss if needed) map based on the color map, depending on the different materials of the body. After that comes the rigging, skinning and animation (but I sometimes check out how the mesh deforms before texturing, because you have to rebake if you change the topology).
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 03 Apr 2013, 18:12

Can we start making the OD's tutorials Scorptio ? First could be how to make and export own tile Set in blender , so that others could perpare one :D
What else I thought ... I wanted you to build the development branch , but the windows version is stuck , so it' becomes the squared circle problem .
Can you make some more Tiles , that is more types and add some modification to existing ones ? I thought each tile in Tile set could have several version like A, B ..... up to ... :P and than we can randomly choose , so the patterns of Tiles on the Map don't look so repeatable .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 04 Apr 2013, 15:46

I can try to write a tutorial, but I'm still busy with the insect monster (does anyone have a name for it?). I'm done with retopo and baking, but still have to paint the wings, rig and animate it. I've also improved the walk cycles of the goblin and spider (these models could also use normal maps). I'll create more tile variations when I'm done with the insect. Actually I wanted to add some partly dug out versions, but I guess that'll be difficult and would multiply the needed number of tiles again. :eew:
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 04 Apr 2013, 17:42

For me it looks like a hornet :)
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 05 Apr 2013, 16:07

Ah you're right, it's a cave hornet! :)
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 28 Sep 2014, 17:13

Im resurrecting this thread since this is the rigth place for this model; BEHOLD the Boulder Trap, bane of Indiana Jones wanna-bes and squasher of adventurers and monsters alike!

CC-BY-SA by Danimal, textures CC0 by Nobiax
Attachments
preview.png
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 05 Nov 2014, 17:08

Updated Boulder model, It now has a rolling animation called "Triggered" , someone had to made the ball start rolling :cool:
Attachments
Boulder.zip
(638.13 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Bertram » 05 Nov 2014, 17:30

Bertram
VT Moderator