Some new models

Re: Some new models

Postby Danimal » 21 Jan 2013, 15:55

That reminds me of "evil genius", where you could select the ratio of different troops, and they automatically trained until filling it when the newbies arrived to base, is that it?.

Another approach would be having different training rooms (barracks for swords, armory for pikemen, archery range for archers, library for mages) this would be awesome, you drop them on one of those rooms, when they finish their training they "transform" to a better class, and as game progress the keeper could spent some of his skill points to unblock one advanced training room to further upgrade them; example: you unlock "mead hall" so any swordman that is dropped there become a Barbarian or Berzerker, if you instead unlock the "heroes hall" your swordmen become Crusaders.

Different species dropped could give different results, example: drop an orc into a library and it becomes a chaman, drop a human and it becomes a warmage; drop an orc or human into into a barrack an it becomes a swordman, but drop an elf and it becomes an assasin with invisibility.
What i mean to say is that different species could bear different skill set with the same training option. That would give a lot of variety for sure in the gameplay, but i wonder if its too much code wise...

Skorpio, i remembered a game that used a similar system to what you said: "Battle realms", its troop creation is mostly what you intended.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 21 Jan 2013, 17:00

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had in mind. I haven't played Evil Genius and Battle Realms, but I was inspired by RPGs. Nexus War had a nice class system and I recently started to play ToME4.

Nexus War was a pretty epic browser and text based pvp MMORPG which is not active anymore, but there seems to be a clone Nexus Clash which I haven't checked out yet. I lost the interest in NW when my character was maxed out and raids against other factions lost their thrill.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 20 Feb 2013, 21:10

Skorpio, i know you dont have time/will for models atm, but what happened to most of the models you presented on this thread (first pages) you plan to release them someday? Not pressuring you, i myself work on mine just when i feel like it, but it would be a pity to let them die.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 20 Feb 2013, 22:52

You mean the demon and insect monster in the first post? They're still on ice. I could upload the Sculptris files, if anyone wants to take a look at them, but they are still untextured and have no low poly versions. I want to finish the chicken next, which we can also use for OD.

BTW, I recently checked out the unofficial Blender 2.6 exporter and it seems to work fine, so we can probably abandon 2.49 completely.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 02 Mar 2013, 00:56

Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 02 Mar 2013, 20:31

Sure it could be used in OD, even though the eyes seem to be a bit too high. :) It would be cool to have some vermin swarms as independent creatures, immobile guards or traps. The poly count could probably be lowered, in order to have thousands of them on the screen at the same time. :D
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 03 Mar 2013, 00:42

thousands? you are crazy, they would eat ours monsters :( ; but i loved how in DK1 your first creatures were cockroaches, spiders, flies and satanical frogs :cool: . we could do something alike, even if its only as hostile npc´s
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 11 Mar 2013, 17:32

I'm texturing the insect monster now. I like the yellow-black color scheme very much, but since the lizardman and one of the tentacles use thise scheme already, I'll maybe change the hue later. The wings have to be redone in Blender, because clean flat surfaces are a bit difficult to model in Sculptris. Here are some screenshots:
Insectmonster_paint1.jpg
Insectmonster_paint2.jpg

I've also been working on an old model which could perhaps be used as an alien race for UFO:AI, but maybe we could turn it into a creature for OD as well.
Kreatur1D.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 11 Mar 2013, 22:35

The fly is good looking, but darker colors could fit it better, black and dark red? that way you can call it a bloodfly, hell, the red color could be some kind of light so it shines in the dark.

The other guy looks good, but too much alike the troll, could you make it more feral and beastly? hunch it over, like a gorilla (or longer arms, shorter legs), increase the number and size of rock skin all over its back, front chest is good (could be scaly), bigger hands with claws for digging, the feets needs a lot of reworking... if i have to put my idea in a word, it would be an armadillo-man.

Hey i found something like that, its s0me kind of super hero, but get the idea:
http://www.google.es/url?sa=i&source=im ... 3659487050
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 13 Mar 2013, 18:53

That sounds like a completely different creature. :) I'm actually trying to model something Muton-esque, if you know them from X-Com, however I guess I could do a total conversion and turn him into an armadillo man as well (but not right now). Hands and feet are not done yet btw.

I'm checking out some more color combinations for the insect now. I like the blue-purple version, and I think it would be cool, if the blue parts glowed.
Insectmonster_paint3.jpg
Insectmonster_paint4.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Flipflop » 13 Mar 2013, 19:31

Wow, that looks really cool!
Flipflop

Postby paul424 » 15 Mar 2013, 15:26

Hopefully, you Scorpio get the working wersion on Windows , and see the faulty meshes .... Maybe I could do it ... but maybe you look it first , if there was some flaw in logic enumeration the author should detect it first .... look at the tiles of the form 00011111 they do get bad orientation ....

Second is the Rock and Gold materials don't have Specular and Diffiusion maps so far ... and Maybe we could even apply diffrnet material for Dirt , Rock and Gold for the mesh faces , like bottom ( dug ) , top ,( the undug ) , and the side one .... probably you want the lower ones be brighter cause Player going to trace what happen there , rather than at the top :) .

This guy awesome , he does not have the cg / material scripts but he provides texture map for Specular , Diffiuse , Emissive :) for any texture type he provides :

http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads. ... &s=dd&pn=1
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 20 Mar 2013, 09:08

I must admit , that your Adventurer model is one of the nicest in game, probably due to high poly version it represents. So as you see it is not the case that the high poly characters slow down the game --- for now large batches ( the total number of material iteration the engine must go through ) is the problem ! So keep creating high poly version whenever you can :) .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 20 Mar 2013, 13:05

Thanks, and thats good to know Paul; ironically what we call high-poly is considered very lowpoly everywhere else. But i think ill stick to dungeon security until i get the hang of normals, specularity and so on. Might do a base model from time to time, but wont finish it until im able to fully work the full pipeline.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 20 Mar 2013, 23:14

i fell in love with this model, can we use it?

http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/67196
Attachments
szani_dra1_medium_7a5b7972f801001bf6e8541b25b6c9288b2abe2b.jpg
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Julius » 21 Mar 2013, 08:45

Looks nice, but without legs it is a bit difficult to envision it underground ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 21 Mar 2013, 12:04

Julius {l Wrote}:Looks nice, but without legs it is a bit difficult to envision it underground ;)

You're making a fantasy game, not a cave creature simulation.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Danimal » 21 Mar 2013, 16:08

i recall we will have outside levels somewhere in the future
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 21 Mar 2013, 19:44

I think we can use it, but winged creatures are problematic because they often overlap with the walls (like the wings of the Pit Demon), unless you make the creature rather small. Folded wings usually don't look very good either (the dragon (or maybe his wings are too low poly?)). I think that's the reason why the dragon in DK had no wings at all.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 21 Mar 2013, 20:31

maybe we can make it into some kind of familiar or scout unit (small by nature)? We could name it drakeling or something in that fashion.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 21 Mar 2013, 21:49

Don't care about collisions, when we come up with any system we just place few points on creature edge wings and test for collision with other volumes. Createus already walk on themselves already , doesn't that worry you more :D ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 23 Apr 2013, 19:57

I returned to my steampunk miner to enter OGA machines contest, here is a finished version, it has an applied oclusion map, diffusion map and glow map.
Attachments
Steampunk miner 1.png
Steampunk miner 2.png
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 08 May 2013, 18:37

I've been quite inactive, but at least I managed to rig the insect and create a few animations. I've already tested it in-game and the size seems to be okay, but I'm not sure how I can make the wings transparent and use normal and spec maps at the same time. The model is 39 cm tall and 1.1m long by the way.
Attachments
Insectmonster.zip
Walk and fly animations of the Cave Hornet.
(7.13 MiB) Downloaded 363 times
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 10 May 2013, 20:51

Hi, yes, things have been calm around here lately. I blame college exams most likely to be the main culprit.
Skorpio, can you please have a look at my other post about the homepage topics? i could use a bit of help there

Why not use alphas for the wings?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 11 May 2013, 14:19

I use a texture with alpha and that's my problem now, because I don't know how to add alpha maps to the new material scripts. In the videos that I've attached to the last post you can see the transparent wings (I still wanted to improve the texture, though).

By the way, is the OpenDungeons Youtube account not accessible anymore? Or does anyone have a new password and username/e-mail? Didn't we want to create a new account a long time ago?
Skorpio
OD Moderator