need help?

need help?

Postby firebird » 23 Jan 2013, 15:40

Hi everyone!
Yesterday found your OpenDungeons page. Want to try something new, and i suppose that you need artist. Isn't it? Well, I haven't a lot of experience, but looking for new tasks. You can see some of my artworks here: http://smishlayeva.deviantart.com/gallery/
So if you are interested in me, just let me know. ;)
firebird

Re: need help?

Postby hc » 23 Jan 2013, 19:01

Hi and in name of the forum: Welcome! :)

I've had a look at your gallery, looks proficient.
Are you studying art or similar?

Are you having some preferences what you'd like to do? :think:
Do you like to paint pictures, concepts, user interface graphics,
or do you can or like to learn more about 3d modelling and texturing?

I can't speak for the Open Dungeons project but I could instantly imagine:
Monster Concepts
Trap and Building Concepts
Menu-Background pictures
Intro-Story Paintings

Maybe the Open Dungeons main contrubutors can help further, I'm just helping out you've got to know.
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby Julius » 23 Jan 2013, 19:18

So judging by the link you are offering 2D drawn concept pictures? The examples you made look quite nice for sure, but nothing that would be really useful for game creation.

I don't know what kind of concept graphics OD needs, but there is probably plenty of stuff on OGA you could extend on (for example portrait sets: http://opengameart.org/art-search?keys=portraits ).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 23 Jan 2013, 21:01

Welcome Firebird! As hc pointed out we could use concept art for creatures, traps and rooms. Icons and a user interface redesign would be also nice.

You can find a list of creatures here, but you could also invent some new creatures if you want.
List of traps.
List of rooms.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby firebird » 23 Jan 2013, 21:25

hc {l Wrote}:Are you studying art or similar?

I'm studying drawings and my future art is a bit involved in my future profession.

hc {l Wrote}:Are you having some preferences what you'd like to do? :think:
Do you like to paint pictures, concepts, user interface graphics,
or do you can or like to learn more about 3d modelling and texturing?

Well, I don't know a lot about 3D graphics - all knowledge I have finishes with SketchUp, but i can try anything about 2D.

Julius {l Wrote}:So judging by the link you are offering 2D drawn concept pictures? The examples you made look quite nice for sure, but nothing that would be really useful for game creation.

I don't know what kind of concept graphics OD needs, but there is probably plenty of stuff on OGA you could extend on (for example portrait sets: http://opengameart.org/art-search?keys=portraits ).

That's just because I haven't something like that before. Thank you for link! Can anybody who wants to share their artworks (portraits in this case) upload them on OpenGameArt web page?

Skorpio {l Wrote}:Welcome Firebird! As hc pointed out we could use concept art for creatures, traps and rooms. Icons and a user interface redesign would be also nice.

You can find a list of creatures here, but you could also invent some new creatures if you want.
List of traps.
List of rooms.

Thanks! From tomorrow I'll try to draw something from that. =)
firebird

Postby Julius » 23 Jan 2013, 21:49

firebird {l Wrote}:Can anybody who wants to share their artworks (portraits in this case) upload them on OpenGameArt web page?

Well OpenGameArt is a website that hosts "open source" (e.g. Creative Commons) artworks that could be used for games. So anything non game related should not be uploaded and anything you upload needs to be under an free/libre license which will allow anyone to use and modify your artworks as long as they credit you (and depending on the license there are also other restrictions like "copyleft").
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Danimal » 24 Jan 2013, 00:02

Hi Firebird, the directions Skorpio gave you are correct but old (some obsolete even, wiki needs a clean up), look here for possible traps:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2903&start=125#p41598

You dont need to know 3d modelling at all, leave that to Skorpio and me, but we dont have that much imagination for concepts (we do what we can), loading screens, maps, icons, mostly anything is welcome.

And welcome to the forum :)

PD: You can do whatever you want rigth now to help, but if you feel you are lost we can point you a few more pressing tasks (namely concepts for traps and creatures)
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 24 Jan 2013, 02:03

Julius {l Wrote}:
firebird {l Wrote}:Can anybody who wants to share their artworks (portraits in this case) upload them on OpenGameArt web page?

...anything non game related should not be uploaded...

Careful Julius. I don't think you're being broad enough here. What is and isn't game related for starters? That's incredibly hard to define. Are concept works game related? Portraits of regular people? They could be used. A watercolour scene could be a suitable backdrop for a suitably themed game.

If the piece has purpose or is somewhat finished, then it is most likely suitable (license permitting) for OpenGameArt. However, for general artistic development, you're already using the correct resource - DeviantArt.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby paul424 » 24 Jan 2013, 13:04

Hello firebird , hope you would contribute somehow to our game ...

Scorpio : Also if firebird says she can use SketchUp : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SketchUp : " The free version of Google Sketchup can export 3D to .dae and Google Earth's .kmz file format. The Pro version extends exporting support to include the .3ds, .dwg, .dxf, .fbx, .obj, .xsi, and .wrl file formats." than can you convert within those file formats to Ogre3d meshes.

firebird: If you want to try 3d modeling , architecural style ;) you could try to model diffrent dungeon hearts for each faction ... ( that large orange orb thingie when you start the game ) .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby firebird » 24 Jan 2013, 14:06

Well, I've read what Danimal gave, so here will be first trap 'Poison dart launcher'. It takes a bit time. Don't know if it's what you need...

paul, it would be great to draw something in 3D, I'll try to model dungeon hearts too. =)
Attachments
Poison_dart_launcher.pdf
(87.78 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
firebird

Postby Julius » 24 Jan 2013, 17:55

If you want to get into 3D modeling I would strongly recommend you to stay away from Sketch-up. The workflow of it is totally different from other programms, and the resulting meshes are almost always not very well usable for games (since they are build up from primitives mostly).

With your background in drawing I suggest you either do digital sculpting with Blender3D, or for more simple polygon meshes WIngs3D ( http://www.wings3d.com/ ).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Danimal » 24 Jan 2013, 19:20

Firebird, thats pretty cool. But this traps are attached to walls or dungeon floors, it migth be a little hard to figure them,but you can always rewatch Indiana Jones ;)
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 25 Jan 2013, 14:47

Hey Firebird, your dart launcher looks nice, but we actually need something like ancient war machines or traps that are hidden in the ground or in the walls. For the poison dart launcher I imagined a machine similar to the Roman scorpio, but automatic. Something like the Ewok log trap or a sarlacc from Star Wars could be funny. But you have to keep in mind that the game is tile based and the traps should fit on a square floor tile. Or maybe we could have also larger traps across several tiles.

BTW, Psycho from the SumWars team has already made some war machines which we could probably reuse:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3724078/Ballista_kl_01.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3724078/tribock_03.jpg

And he also offered his shields and a skeleton:
http://sumwars.org/forum/index.php?topi ... 58#msg2958
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3724078/Skelett3.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby firebird » 26 Jan 2013, 11:43

Now I'm trying to learn how to model 3D objects in blender, so I'll disappear for some time.
firebird

Postby Danimal » 26 Jan 2013, 14:49

Its not necessary to dissapear, skorpio is a very experienced blender modeler, feel free to make a post showing your models and we can advise you.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby hc » 29 Jan 2013, 18:57

@firebird: I just like to emphasize that if you would like to do what you like to do then that's the spirit :)

Hope you just disappear for a moment - don't hesitate to ask, show and tell.

BTW: What program(s) did you use for the poison darts?

Edit:
Oh, almost forgot, as the others pointed out basically everybody can submit/publish on OpenGameArt.org .
But you have to judge yourself if it might be useful for a game.
Concept art and other inspiring art counts as well.
Valueable are of course sets of pieces that can be used together in a game - and again there is no hard rule.

You see, a major difficulty for open source games is to find matching assets/game-art.
So, as Julius pointed out, you may take other's art and extend it - that's one thing: Expanding on what's available.
The other form of contribution is of course to create new art: Extending what's available.

Open source lives by that you do what you like best or do what you need the most. :think:
github.com/hackcraft-de
hackcraft.de
hc
LW3D Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 17 Mar 2013, 23:09

Hi firebird, and a very warm welcome aboard :)

as hc suggested then we need concepts, and you seem to be comfortable with 2D artwork and sketches so why not start there?.

We need sketches for the human and undead races. You are of course also very welcome to make concepts for the other races: Constructs, Corpars, Elves, Mercenaries, but remember to read their [url=opendungeons.sourceforge.net/w/index.php/Backstory]backstory[/url] first to get an idea of what we want them to look like :)

and welcome aboard again :D
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator