RESOURCE: Help Wanted

RESOURCE: Help Wanted

Postby qreeves » 21 Jan 2013, 10:18

From time to time we all need a hand with something we're working on, especially in something as large and collaborative as Red Eclipse. Here, I would like to introduce you to the "Help Wanted" thread. Rather than create a new topic each time we're looking for someone to help us out with something, we can post here. I will probably use it to ask the community for help with something I can't get done normally, you may all use it to work on your submissions, be they maps, mods, or ideas.

You should have a fully formed idea, with clear instructions on what you want done and how. You should not bump this thread if people do not respond.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Re: RESOURCE: Help Wanted

Postby qreeves » 21 Jan 2013, 10:20

.. and to get the ball rolling: We need a "Red Eclipse" sky box (think how "Halo" has the halo in the sky). I'd like to have at least one map with a "Red Eclipse" theme.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Sniper-Goth » 21 Jan 2013, 13:43

Red Eclipse Skybox? Lets see what we can do about it.
Red Eclipse in game name: Sniper-Goth/Sniper-quake3. Maps in the making: DOTA style map, ringed, train, ladder race,.
Sniper-Goth

Postby ballist1c » 21 Jan 2013, 16:41

Hi!

I am currently overhauling the "Official Maps" section of our aged wiki athttp://www.redeclipse.net/wiki.

There are 2 things you can do to help me with this:

1) Count the number of weapons, grenades, and rockets in any of these maps, and post them here:

cargo
colony
error
fourplex
industrial
institute
keystone2k
oneiroi
pumpstation
starlibido

2) Take some screenshots of gameplay in deathmatch, CTF, DTF, Bomberball, and Timetrial (default settings please).

If you can take 5 minutes of your time to do this for me that would be great. Thanks
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby greaserpirate » 21 Jan 2013, 20:05

Cargo: 6 nades 1 rocket
Colony: 12 nades 1 rocket
Error: 6 nades 1 rocket
Fourplex: 8 nades total (2 normal + 2 multi only + 2 no insta + 2 no insta no team) 1 rocket
Industrial: 20 nades 1 rocket
Keystone: 16 nades 1 rocket
Oneiroi: 7 nades 1 rocket
Pumpstation: 13 nades 1 rocket
Starlibido: 2 nades

If you need any more just tell me.

Here are the scrrenshots:
screenshot.0234.png
Defend-The-Flag

screenshot.0236.png
CTF

screenshot.0238.png
Bomberball

screenshot.0241.png
Time-trial

screenshot.0242.png
Deathmatch (could be a better pic)

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby ballist1c » 21 Jan 2013, 20:19

tyvm!

ballist1c

Postby quintux_v » 22 Jan 2013, 02:35

qreeves {l Wrote}:From time to time we all need a hand with something we're working on, especially in something as large and collaborative as Red Eclipse. Here, I would like to introduce you to the "Help Wanted" thread. Rather than create a new topic each time we're looking for someone to help us out with something, we can post here. I will probably use it to ask the community for help with something I can't get done normally, you may all use it to work on your submissions, be they maps, mods, or ideas.

I once saw (on another forum) a thread titled "small questions not worth making an entire topic for" (or something similar), would you consider this to be roughly similar to that?

qreeves {l Wrote}:I'd like to have at least one map with a "Red Eclipse" theme.

Doomsday/Apocalypse? anyways,
http://artsoul.homestead.com/Red-Eclipse.jpg
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs11/PRE/i/2006/259/6/3/Red_Eclipse_by_Villantatore.png

ballist1c {l Wrote}:Count the number of weapons, grenades, and rockets in any of these maps, and post them here:

would there be a way (for future use) to use some kind of entselect command to select all of those and discover the # of each?
Also, for each map, maybe you could have some kind of indicator of predicted computer performance on each map, along with "server popularity" or something like that.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby greaserpirate » 22 Jan 2013, 03:16

quintux_v {l Wrote}:would there be a way (for future use) to use some kind of entselect command to select all of those and discover the # of each?

Yeah, it's just /entfind weapon 8 and count the number of squares on the right side of the screen.

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby Dratz-_C » 22 Jan 2013, 06:46

quin,
Here is a story that I came up with as I visualized how to achieve the foundations of an engaging universe within which Red Eclipse could exist. I could use this framework to make a skybox. I might try when I have time.

The Ternary Star, Trinity
This is a very bright start made up of stars larger than our sun. It has in its sway at least 4 planets. Two are too close to Trinity to support life. One planet, Aegis was farther away but still too hot. One planet was at the right distance but had a large terminal moon. Some people escaped from planet Crescent just before the collision. The left in a spaceship they called the Kite. It was designed for a short trip to their one last hope for survival, planet Aegis.

The Planet, Aegis
This planet is solid and about size of Venus. It has four remote moons half the radius of our moon. Due to its relatively thin atmosphere and closer distance from Trinity people cannot survive on the surface without protective suits, and only then on the dark, cold side of the planet. However, this area is too cold for permanent habitation. Aegis does not spin. Possible indications of life under the surface of the star-ward hemisphere and in the more remote areas of the opposite hemisphere have been detected. There even seem to be some microbial contaminants in the water from the planet. Some permanently wear their protective suits, not trusting the quality of the water or air.

The Penumbra
Around this planet from the ternary star light bends with a red hough. People can use this pleasant heat if they park the Kite on the far side of Aegis.

The Kite
This is a 20,000 mile wide triangular construct whose inner border is formed 500 miles in by a similar triangle. Flat on the front and back surfaces, when you are facing it it is much wider than it is deep. People use the triangle on the edges in the most light for energy and resource storage such as water made of reactants from Aegis. The evaporation creates 10,000 miles of air density near the tips. The inner 10,000 miles is a colder dimmer environment. People use this for sleep and for changing the states of substances such by freezing.

The Planet, Crescent
This was a solid planet twice the radius of Earth. Crescent used to be an area of increase. It had a large moon that was 1/3 the radius of Crescent. Unfortunately the moon was in a terminal orbit and would ultimately destroy half of Crescent. Crescent went from prosperity to a crescent shaped shell of its former self.

The Moon Finis
Finis was an orbiting body of Crescent. It was about 7 times the radius of our moon. It took 10,000 years for it to fall to Crescent and end most remaining animal life.

Cheers
Last edited by Dratz-_C on 27 Jun 2013, 00:48, edited 1 time in total.
Dratz-_C

Postby qreeves » 22 Jan 2013, 07:41

greaserpirate {l Wrote}:Here are the scrrenshots

The HUD is not default settings.
qreeves

Postby qreeves » 22 Jan 2013, 08:38

quintux_v {l Wrote}:would there be a way (for future use) to use some kind of entselect command to select all of those and discover the # of each?

Something along the lines of:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
printweapons = [
    entcancel // clear the entity selection
    entfind weapon // find all weapons and select them
    entloop [ // loop over the entities selected
        text = (entget) // get the full representation of the entity (space separated values)
        id = (at $text 2) // need the "id" attribute from the text
        echo (format "found: %1" (at $weapname $id)) // tell everyone all about it
    ]
]
qreeves

Postby Ulukai » 22 Jan 2013, 17:27

qreeves {l Wrote}:.. and to get the ball rolling: We need a "Red Eclipse" sky box (think how "Halo" has the halo in the sky). I'd like to have at least one map with a "Red Eclipse" theme.

Is something like this what you were thinking of? Tell me if you want more / less / bigger / smaller stars or mist. Or more planets would be possible eventually as well.

screenshot.png
Ulukai

Postby Dratz-_C » 22 Jan 2013, 23:38

Ulukai,
Just to get the ideas out there: much like your picture this is an annular eclipse http://asaaf.fis.ucm.es/eclipseanular/i ... ipse31.jpg
This is a red eclipse on the bottom right: http://ut-images.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-co ... phases.jpg
Based on this information, might space be blacker and the center of the eclipsing body be more red?
annular_red_eclipse.jpg
This rough is what I was thinking in picture form.
Here is another try at it.
annular_red_eclipse2.jpg

I am not knocking your concept, I just want to make sure it stands the test of time by being closer to how it might actually look.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby Ulukai » 23 Jan 2013, 07:48

Dratz-_C {l Wrote}:Ulukai,
Here is another try at it.
annular_red_eclipse2.jpg

Cheers

I like your second picture too, you don't happen to have a higher resolution picture of this, for better quality? I'll upload another screenshot when I have had time to make another concept.
What I used in the screenshot I posted is more similar to the RE logo and I think it fits nice actually. We can see how a more realistic red eclipse looks and if it fits just as nicely.
Ulukai

Postby Dratz-_C » 23 Jan 2013, 14:01

Ulukai,
It was just a rough so it may be tomorrow when I have time but I will try to make a high resolution facsimile and post it here. I will try for sources that fit the red eclipse license requirements this time as well.
Cheers
Dratz-_C

Postby quintux_v » 24 Jan 2013, 04:23

qreeves {l Wrote}:

Something along the lines of:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
printweapons = [
    entcancel // clear the entity selection
    entfind weapon // find all weapons and select them
    entloop [ // loop over the entities selected
        text = (entget) // get the full representation of the entity (space separated values)
        id = (at $text 2) // need the "id" attribute from the text
        echo (format "found: %1" (at $weapname $id)) // tell everyone all about it
    ]
]

Wow, that was quick. Maybe this code could be integrated into some kind of section of a map's cfg file which describes the map? Would be useful for the wiki.

Ulukai {l Wrote}:Is something like this what you were thinking of? Tell me if you want more / less / bigger / smaller stars or mist. Or more planets would be possible eventually as well.

It's a good start, though everything looks kinda skewed. Is that the RE logo eclipse or a different one?

Also, just some extra inspirational images: http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/20868/21May12_Lunar_007.jpg and http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/007/0/4/red_eclipse_by_davidlc-d35zvfv.jpg

strangely enough, on Bing, there were some related searches on "Blue Eclipse", which actually looked pretty cool.
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby Ulukai » 24 Jan 2013, 09:42

I know it's far from finished, but wanted to give an idea of what I was thinking of. I agree that is should be more black with less present stars, mild red gas and some star groups inside. The image I used is a real photo that recolored. And it looks skewed because of the angle of the screenshot, the image is actually round :p I will continue working whenever I find some more time and will present one or more options when I have some result.
Ulukai

Postby ballist1c » 24 Jan 2013, 21:39

quintux_v {l Wrote}:
Wow, that was quick. Maybe this code could be integrated into some kind of section of a map's cfg file which describes the map? Would be useful for the wiki.

That is what I asked for, the wiki :) This is being used for the wiki on individual map's description mages, check it out

ballist1c

Postby Dratz-_C » 25 Jan 2013, 04:44

Ulukai,
[These pictures are deprecated by new work and have been unattached by the poster. A thumbnail remains.] Homework kept me away and I have more to do so I will have to get back to it. Here is the high-resolution version. It is made with the help of two creative commons license photographs. I will attach them. A search using their file names will show that they are ready for commercial use and modification. Likewise I will release this under the same CC license allowing commercial use and modification. [Annular_Red_Eclipse3.png , flickr-1264349089-hd.jpg , flickr-5518222028-hd.jpg .] I have some higher resolution photographs but they would require individual permission from each copyright holder which would take time and possibly not yield favorable outcomes.
Cheers
Last edited by Dratz-_C on 27 Jun 2013, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.
Dratz-_C

Postby Ulukai » 25 Jan 2013, 14:58

Thanks for the images Dratz-C.

I started all over again to make a more subtle skybox and used the newly provided images for this. There are 2 versions attached so everyone can try it out for themselves. Both versions are basically the same, except from the image of the Red Eclipse.

Some screenshots:
screenshot.0003.png

screenshot.0005.png

screenshot.0006.png
Attachments
skybox-redeclipse-red.zip
(3.16 MiB) Downloaded 788 times
skybox-redeclipse.zip
(3.1 MiB) Downloaded 750 times
Ulukai

Postby Ulukai » 25 Jan 2013, 17:06

For those interested, I have created an accompying cloudbox for it, which can be used in combination with a "cloudblend 0.25" value. All files are released under CC-BY-SA license.
If colors need to be tweaked, just ask.
Attachments
helix.zip
(2.19 MiB) Downloaded 790 times
Ulukai

Postby Dratz-_C » 25 Jan 2013, 23:15

Ulukai,
[These pictures are deprecated by new work and have been unattached by the poster. A thumbnail remains.] Please try this modified version of my starscan skybox on for size.It includes the necessary credits for the two images that were a help to me when compositing the planet. When people are judging the red eclipse planet I think we should be bold and make it big. Also, I believe that if the planet is in red light the surroundings should accentuate the red with contrast such as a black and white star field rather than dilute it with a red nebula. I feel that red eclipse planet should go on the top rather than the front so that it can be seen through open central geometry, cloudboxes, skyward windows and fogdomes and be usable as a light source in spin situations. I came to this conclusion when I had already done the work on a front image so I will include it here as well. If you want to test the image for the front you can swap the following two images into the skybox. Finally I will more accurately zenith the planet and even out the gaps in the penumbra in the next version of the skybox image.
starscan_ft_thumb.jpg

Cheers
Last edited by Dratz-_C on 27 Jun 2013, 01:11, edited 2 times in total.
Dratz-_C

Postby Dratz-_C » 26 Jan 2013, 06:11

Ulukai,
[These pictures are deprecated by new work and have been unattached by the poster. A thumbnail remains.] Here is another version. It has a centered planet and a uniform penumbra. Swap it for the _up image to test it if you want.Looking at the end result, I think it would nice if the penumbra had more rays of light rather than a glow. I shall have to edit and re-composite the source images to accomplish my wish. I will take about a week break and then come back with the goods when I am able.
Cheers
Last edited by Dratz-_C on 27 Jun 2013, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
Dratz-_C

Postby qreeves » 26 Jan 2013, 07:34

Ulukai {l Wrote}:I started all over again to make a more subtle skybox and used the newly provided images for this. There are 2 versions attached so everyone can try it out for themselves. Both versions are basically the same, except from the image of the Red Eclipse.

I like this one the best. but think it would be better with a bit more blur around the circumference of the planetoid and perhaps some light bleeding. I tried to jury rig these thoughts into an example for you, but it doesn't look great because IANAA.

redeclipse_sky.jpg
qreeves

Postby Dratz-_C » 26 Jan 2013, 15:54

quin,
[These pictures are deprecated by new work and have been unattached by the poster.] Here is the annular eclipse with more blur and a slight red tint in the penumbra. For viewing convenience I placed it in black, dark red, and a starfield. After I post this set of pictures I will work on the light bleed. In a lunar red eclipse this bleed allows you to plainly see the lunar surface. I will tone that effect down considerably, but I hope there can be a little definition to the surface.
Cheers
Last edited by Dratz-_C on 27 Jun 2013, 01:17, edited 1 time in total.
Dratz-_C