Music

Music

Postby svenskmand » 06 May 2010, 22:14

I have been searching a bit on freesound.org for samples to use in the music for OpenDungeons :), I have almost no experience in making music, but I think that game music/ambient music is easier to do good than normal music as there is not that much focus on rhythm and melody as there is in normal music.

I someone have some ideas for other cool samples to use from freesound.org then please post links to them in this thread.

We should also decide on what types of music we should have, should we have different music for each faction, and if we go with the alignment system then should the music change according to you alignment? and if so how should we make this practical? For tools I suggest Audacity or Ardour to do sequencing, or a tracker, as Audacity and Ardour cannot make/generate notes (music notes), but can only arrange prerecorded samples.

Regarding trackers I have not found a good, cross-platform, one yet, but I am on the lookout for one so if you have any suggestions then please post a link here :) The one tracker I have in my sights right now is MilkyTracker but I have not really played around with it yet, but I found these two (video 1 and video 2) nice videos on YouTube, and it seems that it has very nice features, I especially like that you can just draw sound samples with the mouse :)
Last edited by svenskmand on 06 May 2010, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Re: Music

Postby Skorpio » 06 May 2010, 23:16

I own a pretty good commercial music program and have a little bit experience in sound design. Actually I was trying to produce some sounds for OD in the last days, but I always end up making music (which is not usable for OD (and I don't even have a finished track yet)). :)
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 06 May 2010, 23:33

Please either use open source software, or be sure that you can export to a format that can be open with open source programs, else it is pretty difficult, and expensive, to be able to modify you contributions :(

The program you have is it only a sequencer or can it also do notes and or synthesis?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 06 May 2010, 23:46

I think it can only export in the wav format, but I also have a program to convert that.

svenskmand {l Wrote}:The program you have is it only a sequencer or can it also do notes and or synthesis?

Both.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 07 May 2010, 15:08

What is it called?

You can also try out Beast BSE, it is in the repository of Ubuntu, the package is called beast, so it should be as easy as
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
sudo apt-get install beast

to try it out :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby A New Room » 16 May 2010, 02:16

Ambient Sound FX.zip
(2.64 MiB) Downloaded 539 times
These are about 5 very basic ambient vocal sounds I did.

They maybe a little too DKish, but I hope they are a little helpful.

Please tell me what you think :)
Mentor: "This land would give you a case of truly terrifying flatulence if you were eat it…"
A New Room

Postby svenskmand » 16 May 2010, 18:48

I like laughing :), but they may be a little too slow in pitch, but I like how deep they are :)

By the way I just found another cool program to make music with, it is called Rosegarden, it should be very much like Cubase (although I do not know that). It only does the composing, meaning the instruments/sounds you have to get from an syntesiser program like QSynth or ZynAddSubFx, all programs are available from the Ubuntu repository :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby A New Room » 16 May 2010, 21:54

Well they are kind of intended for ambience, which I assume isn't particularly fast :/
Mentor: "This land would give you a case of truly terrifying flatulence if you were eat it…"
A New Room

Postby svenskmand » 16 May 2010, 23:42

Yes, that is right, but I still thing they are at bit to slow, a little speed up might be better. But cool :), which mic do you use by the way?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby A New Room » 17 May 2010, 01:04

You are right the laugh sounds a hundred times better sped up :D

I use a Logitech Clearchat Comfort USB, as well as Skype to regulate the volume since it is often way too loud.
A New Room

Postby qubodup » 17 May 2010, 21:17

A New Room {l Wrote}:
Ambient Sound FX.zip

Fun :)

May I upload them to OpenGameArt (see rightmost link in top nav bar ;) )? What license(s) do you want to apply to them?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby A New Room » 17 May 2010, 22:03

qubodup {l Wrote}:
A New Room {l Wrote}:
Ambient Sound FX.zip

Fun :)

May I upload them to OpenGameArt (see rightmost link in top nav bar ;) )? What license(s) do you want to apply to them?

You may upload them there if you wish, as for licenses I'm not really fussed. :D
A New Room

Postby qubodup » 18 May 2010, 13:04

A New Room {l Wrote}:You may upload them there if you wish, as for licenses I'm not really fussed. :D

Pick one then! :)
1) Anyone can use, modify, sell these sounds for any purpose, you get no attribution, you lose ownership ( :pd: :zero: )
2) Anyone can use, modify, sell these sounds for any purpose, you get attribution (name & url), you keep ownership ( :by: )
3) Anyone can use, modify, sell these sounds for any purpose but modified versions have to be released under the same terms (recursively read this sentence), you get attribution (name & url), you keep ownership ( :by: :sa: & GPL )
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 18 May 2010, 13:31

qubodup {l Wrote}:
A New Room {l Wrote}:1) Anyone can use, modify, sell these sounds for any purpose, you get no attribution, you lose ownership ( :pd: :zero: )

Well you do not lose owner ship (it is not possible to waive ALL you rights), you can still publish it again under another license if you want.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby A New Room » 18 May 2010, 20:18

qubodup {l Wrote}:Pick one then! :)
1) Anyone can use, modify, sell these sounds for any purpose, you get no attribution, you lose ownership ( :pd: :zero: )
2) Anyone can use, modify, sell these sounds for any purpose, you get attribution (name & url), you keep ownership ( :by: )
3) Anyone can use, modify, sell these sounds for any purpose but modified versions have to be released under the same terms (recursively read this sentence), you get attribution (name & url), you keep ownership ( :by: :sa: & GPL )

Okay then I suppose there is no way I can win... so number 1...
A New Room

Postby qubodup » 19 May 2010, 02:27

A New Room {l Wrote}:Okay then I suppose there is no way I can win... so number 1...

I thank you, user #345! Your contribution has been registered under #3452! Please proceed!
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 09 Jun 2010, 21:58

A New Room is user #228 in this forum, what do you mean by #345 then?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 10 Jun 2010, 05:03

I assume he means user 345 on OpenGameArt.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 10 Jun 2010, 13:44

svenskmand {l Wrote}:A New Room is user #228 in this forum

is not. :p

forum.freegamedev.net/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=345
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 10 Jun 2010, 15:04

Is so, after creation date :P, look here, heh is third on page 10, and there is 25 people on each page, and 9x25+3 = 228 :P
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Deflektor » 11 Jun 2010, 02:56

Hello, everyone !

Allow me to introduce myself. I am Jorma Poyer AKA Deflektor, i'm 24 and i am from France. I was supposed to be the lead music composer for the WTFO project, but for so many reasons, i couldn't keep in touch with the project, nor did i had time to work on my own musical projects.

It's with huge sadness i discovered today the project was dead, but then, i discovered with relief the OpenDungeons project.

So, here i am, rid of most of the trouble i had this year, and ready to offer my contribution.

Here are a few examples of what i've done for the WTFO project :
- Dungeon ambience : http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/234006
- Battle theme (heroic-sounding) : http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/234007
- Battle theme (also heroic-sounding) : http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/235962
- Battle theme (evil-sounding) : http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/237738

I am mostly a classical musician, but i can other styles as well :
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/198831
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/172481
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/230397

I hope to work with you guys !
Deflektor

Postby svenskmand » 11 Jun 2010, 15:44

Now it really annoys me that I did not bring my headphones to work today :S Well I cannot wait to get home to hear you creations :) And also very welcome aboard Deflektor :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 11 Jun 2010, 15:55

Glad to have you joining our project Deflektor. I am at work so I haven't gotten a chance to listen to your stuff yet but I hope to check it out later tonight.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 12 Jun 2010, 00:42

Deflector: I must say that it is some pretty nice examples you have made there :), I like them :) When listening to them I noticed that you have used at CC-BY-NC-SA license, please be aware that we use CC-BY-SA, take a look here for how we license the game. The licensing page also mentions file formats, but for music we have not decided on the format yet, although and Ardour project would probably be the best alternative. I plan to use Ardour in combination with Rosegarden and various synthesizers all connected through JACK, and I will provide both the nodes (MIDI-files and settings for syntesizers) and the wave-forms. But depending on how easy it is to set up the different synthesizers, it might be a simpler alternative to use Ardour - that is have the music as in a format with multi-tracks.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 12 Jun 2010, 05:32

I just got a chance to listen to these samples and they are awesome. I especially like that they loop quite nicely, some of them without even being able to tell where the thing starts unless you are looking at the progress bar (the "Conquest of the Underworld" is probably my favorite). I agree with svenskmand that ideally we would like to have them under cc-by-sa however the nc clause is not necessarily a deal breaker. Currently I don't think there is any real notion of making a commercial release of OpenDungeons, however the additional restriction could potentially be a problem if we wanted to, for example, maybe set up dedicated servers to facilitate game connections and have these be donation, subscription, or ad-supported (the game would always be free to play of course, I am just talking about servers to let you find others to do multi-player with and you could still do this without the central server). Please let us know what you think of the idea of the license change and hopefully we can come to some arrangement, I would hate to see such good music be left out because of something like that.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator