Half-Episode I release timeline?

Half-Episode I release timeline?

Postby Roots » 05 Dec 2012, 17:26

I'm a little lost right now about what work remains until this release is ready. Is there a list that you have Bertram, or at least some idea of what remains to be done? And any deadline that you had in mind for all of this? I think it would be a good idea to establish a clear stopping point if you don't already have one. There's always more that can be done/improved for every release, but at some point you have to stop and say "this is good enough" and release.

The things that I can think of that are remaining are:
- Adding the final maps/game content
- Balancing
- And there are probably a handful of minor bug fixes we might want to get to

In the future it would be really useful to have some kind of roadmap as we begin working on each release so that everyone can know what needs to be done and focus their efforts accordingly.
Roots

Re: Half-Episode I release timeline?

Postby qubodup » 05 Dec 2012, 18:35

qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Roots » 05 Dec 2012, 19:43

Ah, so there is. I think it's a little outdated and incomplete though. Most of the entries there are for the next release, not the current one.
Roots

Postby Bertram » 07 Dec 2012, 16:17

Hi there,

@Roots: Yep, there is one updated and you already summarized it very well:

https://github.com/Bertram25/ValyriaTea ... state=open

To give priorities:

Balancing and content are our crucial goals for the time being.
Balancing is yours and story content is mine (for others reading.)
If somebody can give a hand at finishing cpack installation support, and refreshing the nsis script, I won't complain,
but I'll handle it if not already done when I'll reach that part.

To be more precise, I'll finish the last maps needed for the first release by next week (I'm actively on it, even if I don't necessarily commit daily).
I'll then be actively on polishing, creating/refreshing the installer/package makers scripts as told above.
Release date for RC1 expected roughly in two weeks if and only IF we can't have the balancing done, all the maps done, and a sufficient amount of polish done
on the dungeon and overall speaking. Guys, I'd be so happy that we can give the floss community a christmas gift. ;)

The next roadmap will be decided commonly but only when that release is done.

qubodup {l Wrote}:There is a roadmap:
http://valyriatear.blogspot.de/p/roadmap.html

Ah thanks, I forgot to update those pages. Will do it now.

Regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Roots » 07 Dec 2012, 20:58

Right, leave all the balancing work to me. It won't take me long and should only require some minor tweaks to enemy stats I think.
Roots

Postby Bertram » 08 Dec 2012, 00:18

Ok, I just pushed the second (optional) encounter with the wolf. You might just have to wait a bit for the third and final one.
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Roots » 08 Dec 2012, 03:03

Yeah I saw. Tomorrow I'm going to balance test for the first 3 levels (up to and including the first wolf boss). Any balance changes I made I will commit and pull request right away. That way others can try out the balancing for themselves. Although note that you're going to have to start a new game, since all the stats of the characters in the old saved games are going to be junk now.
Roots

Postby Bertram » 10 Dec 2012, 09:51

Roots {l Wrote}:Although note that you're going to have to start a new game, since all the stats of the characters in the old saved games are going to be junk now.

Yep, I've seen that. First, I told myself we should fix it, but finally I think it's a good thing as such necessary changes should be done now, before the first release is out.

Keep it up :)
Bertram
VT Moderator