Il prefer your dark version of City Night ^^

But your track is wonderful !
Attachments
problem.PNG
Ludsky

Re: New Track: [Track in a city at night that is still unnam

Postby Wolfs » 03 Dec 2012, 20:06

Ludsky {l Wrote}:Bug in your track in the picture

I do not really know what is going on there; this happens for me, too :(.

Ludsky {l Wrote}:Il prefer your dark version of City Night ^^

The track is still dark, but I made a mistake when designing the lightmap: It is very big and a lot of graphic cards cannot deal with this size. This is the reason why you get a "day track" :). Or perhaps you forgot to download the lightmap and to put it in the track directory ;).
Wolfs

Postby Ludsky » 03 Dec 2012, 20:56

Wolfs {l Wrote}:

Ludsky {l Wrote}:Il prefer your dark version of City Night ^^

The track is still dark, but I made a mistake when designing the lightmap: It is very big and a lot of graphic cards cannot deal with this size. This is the reason why you get a "day track" :). Or perhaps you forgot to download the lightmap and to put it in the track directory ;).

review the driveline perhaps ?

No, your track is wonderful, rework still a little this track.... you can do several routes, multiple paths ....
Ludsky

Postby Hero » 03 Dec 2012, 20:59

And try to reduce the face count where ever possible. You're such a good artist you make to much. :D
Keep your mouth closed while chewing your food! That's ALL I hear.

For more game forums go to opengameforums.zxq.net and register today!
Hero

Postby Ludsky » 03 Dec 2012, 21:59

Hero {l Wrote}:And try to reduce the face count where ever possible. You're such a good artist you make to much. :D

The face is good ;)
Ludsky

Postby Hero » 03 Dec 2012, 22:16

No, it makes the level slower. Of course you may be thinking of something else...
Keep your mouth closed while chewing your food! That's ALL I hear.

For more game forums go to opengameforums.zxq.net and register today!
Hero

Postby hiker » 03 Dec 2012, 23:02

Wolfs {l Wrote}:

I didn't really test this again, but I've checked this in the past and the problem was that the drivelines are way too high, so the AI thinks it's off track.

Try starting STK with --track-debug (might need artist mode enabled), then you should be able to see this.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Icy » 07 Dec 2012, 02:52

Well, I just raced on it. It's awesome, but, the AIs are confused. And, when the countdown starts, I just keep on bumping and the bumping leads me to the wrong way :think:
Why don't you think about a name for it? Like, "Wolfs City" or "Tux City"?
-Icy
Icy

Postby Wolfs » 07 Dec 2012, 08:46

Icy {l Wrote}:And, when the countdown starts, I just keep on bumping and the bumping leads me to the wrong way :think:

What exactly happens and which version of SuperTuxKart are you using? Please post also a screenshot if possible.

Icy {l Wrote}:Why don't you think about a name for it? Like, "Wolfs City" or "Tux City"?

I actually called it "City lights" some time ago. I will update the topic, sorry about that :|.
Wolfs

Re: New Track: City lights

Postby ChemBroTron » 09 Dec 2012, 10:44

2 things:
- The AI (hardest one) is spacing out under the bridge right before the end. They try to drive through the wall.
- I think, there is a texture missing. The stairs on the alternative route are completely black
ChemBroTron

Postby Wolfs » 09 Dec 2012, 18:21

ChemBroTron {l Wrote}:2 things:
- The AI (hardest one) is spacing out under the bridge right before the end. They try to drive through the wall.

In my local version, I have already fixed this issue. I am currently adding a further second way, but when the track gets playable again, I will upload a new revision to STKAddons.

ChemBroTron {l Wrote}:- I think, there is a texture missing. The stairs on the alternative route are completely black

Could you post a screenshot so that I can see where exactly this is?
Wolfs

Postby ChemBroTron » 12 Dec 2012, 00:32

Here you go. It is right after the beginning to the right. A little bit dark, hope you can see it.

stkdebug-01.jpg
right after the beginning to the right, missing texture
ChemBroTron

Postby Alayan » 13 Dec 2012, 20:51

I tried the track. First I took it on addons, after on that topic replacing the previous, but in both ways I have something totally buggy. (Testing it on the 0.7.3)
A screen :
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby Wolfs » 13 Dec 2012, 22:48

ChemBroTron {l Wrote}:Here you go. It is right after the beginning to the right. A little bit dark, hope you can see it.

Ah, I see. The problem is that there is absolutely no light in this area, and so the lightmap turns the part completely black. I am currently planning to add more lights to the track, such as a moon. I hope this will fix this issue.

Alayan {l Wrote}:I tried the track. First I took it on addons, after on that topic replacing the previous, but in both ways I have something totally buggy. (Testing it on the 0.7.3)

Now that's weird :(. I can only guess what the problem is:

• I have developed the track with current SVN, and perhaps 0.7.3 is just too old. Could you test the track with the new 0.8 release?
  • The track is currently using a lightmap that is far too big for some graphic cards, so that could also cause this issue. I am planning to split the terrain into several pieces, so that I can use smaller lightmaps. This will hopefully fix all these issues. As a workaround, you could try to scale down the lightmap from 8192*8192 to 2048*2048 (though this would greatly decrease the quality)
  • The track is not exactly what you would call leightweight :). Perhaps this is causing the issue.
I hope this does help you :).

hiker {l Wrote}:
Wolfs {l Wrote}:

I didn't really test this again, but I've checked this in the past and the problem was that the drivelines are way too high, so the AI thinks it's off track.

Try starting STK with --track-debug (might need artist mode enabled), then you should be able to see this.

This was indeed the problem, thanks :).
Wolfs

Postby Alayan » 14 Dec 2012, 00:56

Thanks for your answer. :)
So :
-I don't have yet the new 0.8 release properly installed so I cannot test it now. But I'll do it in some days.
-My graphic card has now some years, but was pretty good so it would be surprising (or an issue to solve) (I have a Nvidia 7300GT 256MB)
-I have an important loading time cause of this, but after there is no lag, it would be strange.

Note that I didn't have the ligthmap in the first version from addons, but with or without I have the same issue. :(
Alayan
STK Moderator

Postby ChemBroTron » 03 Feb 2013, 14:58

Any update on this track?
ChemBroTron

Postby Wolfs » 03 Feb 2013, 22:12

ChemBroTron {l Wrote}:Any update on this track?

I'm currently trying to fix all the bugs that have been reported. I am also trying to create a better skybox which fits the track, making the track reverse-driveable and improving the scenery, but since I have little spare time atm, work progresses only slowly :(.
Wolfs

Postby curseofmifan » 10 Feb 2013, 17:45

I have got a problem loading the track. When I want to start it STK crashes and the NVIDIA OpenGL Driver says that my hardware is to weak to run the application. I actually have got an AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 x 3,4 Ghz) and a Geforce GTX 550 Ti in my computer, so it can't be too weak.
The Console of STK gives this out:

STK_Problem.png

Version of the Track is that, which can be downloaded ingame.

PS: Sorry, if my English isn't the best I'm actually no native speaker of this language.
curseofmifan

Postby Wolfs » 13 Feb 2013, 11:03

curseofmifan {l Wrote}:I have got a problem loading the track. When I want to start it STK crashes and the NVIDIA OpenGL Driver says that my hardware is to weak to run the application. I actually have got an AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 x 3,4 Ghz) and a Geforce GTX 550 Ti in my computer, so it can't be too weak.

STK_Problem.png

I am sorry, but I cannot see anything unusual in the terminal output :(. The track is currently not very well designed and makes unnecessary heavy use of the hardware (too many triangles, too large textures, ...). Your computer seems to be more powerful than my own, so I cannot tell you what is going wrong (and I cannot really debug this, since you appear to be using Windows, while I am using Linux).
Maybe a developer could look into this?
Wolfs

Postby curseofmifan » 13 Feb 2013, 11:53

Wolfs {l Wrote}:
curseofmifan {l Wrote}:I have got a problem loading the track. When I want to start it STK crashes and the NVIDIA OpenGL Driver says that my hardware is to weak to run the application. I actually have got an AMD Phenom II X4 965 (4 x 3,4 Ghz) and a Geforce GTX 550 Ti in my computer, so it can't be too weak.

STK_Problem.png

I am sorry, but I cannot see anything unusual in the terminal output :(. The track is currently not very well designed and makes unnecessary heavy use of the hardware (too many triangles, too large textures, ...). Your computer seems to be more powerful than my own, so I cannot tell you what is going wrong (and I cannot really debug this, since you appear to be using Windows, while I am using Linux).
Maybe a developer could look into this?

Thank you for the reply!
I just tested if uninstalling and reinstalling the track might help, but it doesn't.

I will now test the track on my Linux installation.
curseofmifan

Postby hiker » 13 Feb 2013, 13:35

curseofmifan {l Wrote}:I have got a problem loading the track. When I want to start it STK crashes and the NVIDIA OpenGL Driver says that my hardware is to weak to run the application.

I think the problem might just be a 'not exactly correct' texture, i.e. a texture that does not 100% follow the standard, but is accepted by most drivers.

As a test, can you just replace the .png in the package one after another with a texture that works fine, e.g. anything from STK (or perhaps as a first step, replace all textures just to see if this is indeed the case, before wasting too much time)? If suddenly the track works, we know what texture causes the problem (of course it will look horrible in game ;) ). You might be able to fix the issue by just loading the texture in an image processing program, and saving it again. But please let us know which texture caused the issue (well, it might actually be more than one texture, so you might need to repeat this).

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby ChemBroTron » 13 Feb 2013, 14:32

Wolfs {l Wrote}:
ChemBroTron {l Wrote}:Any update on this track?

I'm currently trying to fix all the bugs that have been reported. I am also trying to create a better skybox which fits the track, making the track reverse-driveable and improving the scenery, but since I have little spare time atm, work progresses only slowly :(.

Oh. Oh, well. Then the City lights video has to wait. :(
ChemBroTron

Postby curseofmifan » 13 Feb 2013, 15:06

hiker {l Wrote}:
curseofmifan {l Wrote}:I have got a problem loading the track. When I want to start it STK crashes and the NVIDIA OpenGL Driver says that my hardware is to weak to run the application.

I think the problem might just be a 'not exactly correct' texture, i.e. a texture that does not 100% follow the standard, but is accepted by most drivers.

As a test, can you just replace the .png in the package one after another with a texture that works fine, e.g. anything from STK (or perhaps as a first step, replace all textures just to see if this is indeed the case, before wasting too much time)? If suddenly the track works, we know what texture causes the problem (of course it will look horrible in game ;) ). You might be able to fix the issue by just loading the texture in an image processing program, and saving it again. But please let us know which texture caused the issue (well, it might actually be more than one texture, so you might need to repeat this).

Cheers,
Joerg

I replaced the arrow.png with an texture of classic_subsea, but this didn't work.

On my Linux the track loads, but at Kubuntu 12.10 repository there is still the 0.7.3 version, so I've got that graphical problems which already were said a few posts ago.

I remember that the track was working fine, when it was released. In middle of the December I got a new graphics card (Geforce 9500 GT 512 MB --> Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1024 MB) and at the beginning of this year I bought a new display (19 inch (1280x1024) --> 27 inch (1920x1080)). Since I changed one of them, this track wasn't loading anymore.

The next thing I will do is to look if a new driver for my graphics card is availible.

Thank you for investing your time to help me!

EDIT: Updating the graphics driver didn't help.
curseofmifan

Postby hiker » 14 Feb 2013, 06:09

Hi,
curseofmifan {l Wrote}:I replaced the arrow.png with an texture of classic_subsea, but this didn't work.

No, it's not a missing texture, it's an invalid texture (at least on some drivers). That's why I can't tell you which one it might be, since I can't reproduce the problem.

It might actually be possible to just remove/rename the textures, and see if this fixes the problem. If the texture is not found, it should just stay white. That might be a bit less work the copying a texture.

Note that at least the screenshot in that package has a minor problem: it's named .png, but is actually a jpg - though irrlicht (should) handle that without a problem.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby curseofmifan » 14 Feb 2013, 17:16

hiker {l Wrote}:Hi,
curseofmifan {l Wrote}:I replaced the arrow.png with an texture of classic_subsea, but this didn't work.

No, it's not a missing texture, it's an invalid texture (at least on some drivers). That's why I can't tell you which one it might be, since I can't reproduce the problem.

It might actually be possible to just remove/rename the textures, and see if this fixes the problem. If the texture is not found, it should just stay white. That might be a bit less work the copying a texture.

Note that at least the screenshot in that package has a minor problem: it's named .png, but is actually a jpg - though irrlicht (should) handle that without a problem.

Cheers,
Joerg

I tested the track on my brother's computer (Windows 7 x64, too) and there it's running without problems.

I now will test your idea to solve my problem.

EDIT: It's one of the textures. I just renamed all of the textures and now the track loads but of course it's completly white.
curseofmifan