Some new models

Re: Some new models

Postby Skorpio » 28 Nov 2012, 19:30

A few more problems with the armature: The bone names should always be consistent (upperarm_L was lower case and Upperarm_R upper case). You also need an underscore before the L and R ( .R .L works too IIRC, but I always use underscores). And clear the bone roll with Ctrl-N in the armature edit mode. The reason for these practices is that you can copy a pose and then flip it, what is very useful for creating walk cycles.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 29 Nov 2012, 13:34

Taking note on that, next char wont have feets... Guess who can be?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 29 Nov 2012, 22:05

Giant amoeba? :) Or a bile demon?
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 30 Nov 2012, 11:06

Another steampunk model, like the previous ones ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 30 Nov 2012, 16:36

Thought the ameboa fits my currents skills what i want to do next is a warrior lamia, but im a bit indecisive, i would go to the cute side with two cutlass, but what do you think, is better a more feral approach or maybe something in between?

Cuteness overdose:

Feral:

Brutal:
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 30 Nov 2012, 19:23

I'm not a fan of the manga style, so I prefer the second one.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 30 Nov 2012, 19:35

what about weapons? swords, bows , spears?
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 30 Nov 2012, 19:45

Yeah, weapons would be cool. :) There are some cool weapon sets on OGA which we should implement at some point. The creatures are able to carry different weapons, so they don't have to be a part of the model. They probably need specialized attack animations, though, especially for bows, crossbows and spears.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 30 Nov 2012, 20:08

I'm currently reanimating the adventurer and the basic four animations are already almost done. They need to be tweaked a bit more, since they are still too stiff, but they look already pretty nice in-game.

Does anyone know when Svenskmand will return to finalize the new version?
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 04 Dec 2012, 00:35

I've fixed the walk cycles of several creatures now, because they were all out of sync. Some animations still look a bit stiff and need more work, though. Also, the lizardman is implemented now and I've increased the intensity of the normal maps of the troll and orc.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 04 Dec 2012, 01:27

Good work man, happy that someone still keeps the show going
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 05 Dec 2012, 18:05

I must say I feel kind of discouraged when I see the fast progress of War for the Overworld (they even have a kickstarter campaign now). I'm not sure if it's worth to continue working on OD if WftO will be getting all attention. Maybe Open Dungeons could go another route, but I think the farther away it gets from Dungeon Keeper the less attention it will get. And without active programmers OD will go nowhere anyway. Well at least our models could be used in other games.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Julius » 05 Dec 2012, 18:39

Well WftO isn't open-source as far as I can tell. However you are of course not completely wrong.

As for another route, I always wished there was a game with an sort of real-time editor similar to DK (either completely free to build or with game constraints like limited funds or such) where one "Dungeon Master" could play against a hero group that plays like a sort of Diablo like game. Would make for a great combination of COOP gameplay with the old pen and paper dungeon master concept.

But yeah as of now OD isn't really progressing.

Edit: maybe one should look again into merging OD and Summoning Wars, and try to advertise for a coder on the Ogre3D boards. I never had a look at the code-base of those two games, but I assume they would be natural candidates for a merger.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Danimal » 06 Dec 2012, 15:31

The real problem are the programmers, or lack of, no artist is going to post on any forum asking for programmers, and we seem to be the more motivated. The reason is that we dont know what the heck we are suppossed to say or ask. One of the programmers needs to do that. Or at least spend one iteration of the project to comment and make the code as friendly as possible and then ask.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 06 Dec 2012, 16:59

A freegamer article might help. So... now just somebody needs to write it. Maybe at the weekend, or maybe Julius fancies doing one?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 06 Dec 2012, 19:38

I guess I could do so... however I would for sure mention the idea of merging OD and SumWars and would like to know first how people feel about that.
I also posted something along that line on the SumWars forums: http://sumwars.org/forum/index.php?topic=432.0

Edit: What ever: http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2012/12/c ... -help.html I hope it helps :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 06 Dec 2012, 21:19

I think a cooperation with Sumwars would be cool, but I wonder how exactly that could work. The media could be shared of course, but what would be the job of potential programmers? Will they have to work on two projects at the same time? I guess sharing knowledge would be the most important aspect. For example, we still need to do something about the lighting and shadows in OD, while Sumwars doesn't even have normal map support at the moment IIRC. And I'm also not sure if my 3D tileset is the best and most efficient solution.

By the way, I don't want to blame anyone if OD stalls. I think everyone here has done a great job so far, but if private life or health issues interfere, there's nothing you can do about that. It seems for such a project we would have needed a bigger team anyway, or people who can work full time on it, so that the game progresses faster than developers can lose the interest.

Thank you for the blog post Julius. You could've linked to Danimal's last blog post as well. ;)
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Julius » 06 Dec 2012, 21:50

Skorpio {l Wrote}:I think a cooperation with Sumwars would be cool, but I wonder how exactly that could work. The media could be shared of course, but what would be the job of potential programmers? Will they have to work on two projects at the same time? I guess sharing knowledge would be the most important aspect. For example, we still need to do something about the lighting and shadows in OD, while Sumwars doesn't even have normal map support at the moment IIRC. And I'm also not sure if my 3D tileset is the best and most efficient solution.

I think they could actually be the same game, e.g. the exact same code-base. IMHO underground ARPG level look exactly like those that could be done with your tileset, and you would just need two different control shemes, one for controlling an individual unit (aka ARPG) and one for managing the dungeon (aka OD). The latter could also double as a level editor. Pathfinding and such for players and enemies would be the same too, as would models, attack animations... everything.
The most promising way to merge would probably to include some aspects of SumWars into OD (GUI, loot and inventory elements most notably), but that is just my outward impression. However I think IP wise, SumWars is actually much nicer, e.g. not a clone :p So maybe using OD code and SumWars IP would be the nicest ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 06 Dec 2012, 22:47

I think the problem is, Julius, that you are looking at it without your pragmatic glasses on.

Yes, it sounds, on the face of it, like a match made in heaven. However, what you are doing is taking 2 simple-ish game concepts and merging them. That makes the end concept actually a game-and-a-half. Maybe that is less work than 2 separate games, but it is still more work than 1 game and the problem for both projects is that they don't have enough man-power to make 1 game, let alone 2 games in one.

Project mergers can be really problematic. Just look at MegaGlest and GlestAE for an example, and they were iterations of the same game!

I think a more practical approach is to somehow identify 5 "low hanging fruit" features for each game and post those, so that there is a straight forward starting point.

@ Skorpio, Danimal: Is that something either of you can put together?
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby oln » 06 Dec 2012, 23:39

I think this could be a great idea if someone took up the task. I think using the same engine for both games like julius suggested is something that should be achievable (at least with the engine I had been envisioning when working OD). It could be that the sumwars code base would be a better starting point than the OD one, I haven't looked at it, so I don't know.

Another thought I came up with lately was to look at whether something could be made using the Cube 2 engine(or any of the projects using it, such as red eclipse), since it has the adjustable terrain built in. The way it's morphable could be a move away from the (square) block-based fad that has started after minecraft got popular, and more away from the DK/evil genius games. I think a kind of god game with terrain that is morphable in 3 dimensions could potentially become pretty neat.
oln

Postby Skorpio » 07 Dec 2012, 00:03

oln {l Wrote}:I think a kind of god game with terrain that is morphable in 3 dimensions could potentially become pretty neat.
That would be cool, especially when combined with multi level dungeons (hopefully that won't be too confusing, though :) ). Maybe this could be done with something similar to the dynamic tesselation in Sculptris or unlimited clay in Blender. However, that would create too many polygons very quickly.

Here's a list of things that should be done first in my opinion:

- Tile set implementation (this should have the highest priority)
- AI improvement to allow basic gameplay for a minimalistic tower defense/rush or dota mode
- Editor improvements - Adding and deleting creatures, traps, rooms and other props is not possible yet (only in the level file). Modifying the map layout is not possible in editor. With these features people could already design maps and load their own creatures and props.
- Creatures' health points don't work (and probably damage, too). They seem to die instantly, but I'm not sure if it's not implemented yet or if it's a bug.
- Lighting has to be improved and we have no shadows yet
- The music stutters and we need to find more music (have to search on OGA and elsewhere)
- Shaders and particles for water, fire and lava
- Sounds need to be improved.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 07 Dec 2012, 01:23

Skorpio, this list should be highly visible, front and centre, somewhere on the forum, somewhere on the website.

Coding -> TODO (sticky)
Website -> TODO (even if it just links to the forum thread)
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 07 Dec 2012, 17:21

Continued discussion here please:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3879
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Danimal » 28 Dec 2012, 17:31

These are some screenshots of the model, its just the mesh and colors made with materials. Before skinning and making a normal map i want your opinions on things to change or add.

Things ill make not shown here:
- twisting tail so it slithers like a snake when animated, no bones yet so it would be a pain to deform it just for show.
- Tatoos over exposed skin
- Add engravings all over the golden plates of armor and front cloth. (the straps joining the armor are actually brown leather but i forgot to turn off its refraction)

Should i add some tiara or necklace?, also, I have mixed feelings about the ponytail hair, any suggestions? (the golden things on its ears are tiny kobra earrings, the same model used on the cutlass handle)
Attachments
lamia2.jpg
lamia1.jpg
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby paul424 » 28 Dec 2012, 17:45

Her tail part is quite small , can you experiment with enlarging it ?
My intuition is it should be much larger, with some muscles visible ....
paul424
OD Moderator