SuperTuxKart 0.7 alpha 2 release

SuperTuxKart 0.7 alpha 2 release

Postby hiker » 29 Apr 2010, 03:31

Hi all,

we have just uploaded a 2nd alpha version of the 0.7 release. This version has a lot of improvements and bug fixes, more tracks, some new icons and animations:
07alpha2.jpg

It is still pretty much work in progress, and we would love to get some feedback - e.g. does it work for you, performance, do you like the new icon style or prefer the old one, bug reports etc. Note that due to the missing tracks GPs and challenges will not work, and you will get a lot of warnings/error messages printed - so please don't report issues related to challenges or GP not working ;)

We would also hope that people could help us to port more tracks - it's not that much work, and would help us to get SuperTuxKart back to where it was, especially getting the challenges and GPs back. Also more icons would be nice - and of course always more tracks.

Enjoy!
Joerg
hiker

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.7 alpha 2 release

Postby hiker » 29 Apr 2010, 04:52

Hi again,

we have also updated the wiki to contain the latest version of the exporter scripts for karts and tracks. Note that earlier version of these scripts will not work with 0.7 alpha2, and karts/tracks exported by these scripts will only work in 0.7 alpha2, not in the earlier STK alpha version.

I've also updated the kart export page somewhat, but it would be good if someone could perhaps check this and add some screenshots, and more descriptions etc.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Auria » 29 Apr 2010, 16:50

Just to add a detail that might not be obvious to everyone : downloads can be found at sourceforge ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/supertuxkart/ )
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby rudy85 » 29 Apr 2010, 20:06

I've tried to compile on ubuntu but I get this error message :

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
configure: error: Can't find irrlicht installation in standard prefixes, use --with-irrlicht...

svn: L'URL 'https://supertuxkart.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/supertuxkart/main/branches/irrlicht' n'existe pas

:!:
STK 3D animation
My work is under the licence you want
rudy85

Postby Auria » 29 Apr 2010, 20:12

rudy85 {l Wrote}:I've tried to compile on ubuntu but I get this error message :

configure: error: Can't find irrlicht installation in standard prefixes, use --with-irrlicht...

Obvious question : do you have irrLicht installed?

rudy85 {l Wrote}:
svn: L'URL 'https://supertuxkart.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/supertuxkart/main/branches/irrlicht' n'existe pas

that's the old name. this branch doesn't exist anymore, we now use trunk
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby rudy85 » 29 Apr 2010, 21:21

How can I install Irrlicht ?

My return of testing on Windows :

Track on the beach (I've ever said but too basic) Too many shortcuts
Drivability : Slowness(Inertie) is little hard when turning especialy when driving in keyboard
IA driving on a line
Elephpant inverse left and right animation (not sure , tell me please)
Not enough bugs
I like New icons

Canyon.png

Startrack.png
Very easy shortcut on startrack
STK 3D animation
rudy85

Postby rudy85 » 29 Apr 2010, 21:23

Good work :)
STK 3D animation
rudy85

Postby Auria » 29 Apr 2010, 21:30

rudy85 {l Wrote}:How can I install Irrlicht ?

See http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Irr ... g_Irrlicht

rudy85 {l Wrote}:Track on the beach (I've ever said but too basic) Too many shortcuts
Drivability : Slowness(Inertie) is little hard when turning especialy when driving in keyboard
IA driving on a line
Elephpant inverse left and right animation (not sure , tell me please)
Not enough bugs
I like New icons

Yes, beach track (and many others) need improvements. We always welcome contributions from talented artists (I would tell you to spend time on animations, though, I think you're best at animation)
Not sure what you mean about drivability. In any case, we do not plan to change the physics much in 0.7, they will remain very much same as 0.6. STK 0.8 will probably contain more physics improvements.
AIs need improvements, that's a known issue too
Elephpant animation bug is quite possible, I'll take a note about it; we'll need to complete kart animation support - and I'm not sure we will keep the steering animation anyway.

Not enough bugs?? :shock:

Glad you like the icons. More work is needed but we want to make STK more cartoonish
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby PatriciusKlassenikos » 30 Apr 2010, 00:31

I overall like the new stuff.
The game is rather jerky(i'm on windows, btw), and the sharp-turning could be more responsive, but it isn't too bad, as long as you don't mind getting a time-bomb.
the new icons look good, if a bit over cartoonish, but they will do, if STK is really going that way.

I might note that time-bombs happen more than they used to, but i am unsure whether or not that is not expected and wanted.

And a bug: Try pressing "Fire" with player one when player one is already in(and only player one is in). the game freezes for me.
PatriciusKlassenikos

Postby xeno74 » 30 Apr 2010, 08:54

The alpha2 for FreeBSD is online:

Link to SourceForge

Could someone build a static package for Linux? :)

--Xeno
xeno74

Postby schmidt100 » 30 Apr 2010, 12:35

it looks really nice, but I found a few things.
I tried the windows release:
-its not possible to use the enter-button in the menu
-on the beach track there are no weapons (in the 0.6 release there were)
-I got a few program crashes after I finished a race (STK just freezes)
-on the amazons, old mine, snow hill and the garden track I have terrible performance issues
STK 0.6 is properly running on my machine: CPU 1.5 ghz, 2 GB ram, 64 mb graphic card
-there are some little problems with presentation of text in the menu
and

But at all it look totally promising and thanks for your work, STK is great!
schmidt100

Postby horace » 30 Apr 2010, 15:40

i see "only the game master may act at this point" written many times all over the menu. this also seems to make the menu really slow. i am also on windows. anyone else with that problem?

the garden track looks nice but it has very low fps for some reason.

otherwise i find the new version very nice! :)
horace

Postby Auria » 30 Apr 2010, 16:18

Hi,

schmidt100 {l Wrote}:it looks really nice, but I found a few things.
I tried the windows release:
-its not possible to use the enter-button in the menu

Can you specify a bit more? Pressing enter generally works for me. Is it in all menus, or some menus only?

schmidt100 {l Wrote}:-on the beach track there are no weapons (in the 0.6 release there were)

Yes, beach track is not fully converted yet

schmidt100 {l Wrote}:-I got a few program crashes after I finished a race (STK just freezes)

Do you get a crash report? If so we would like to have it. Otherwise, maybe Joerg can help you get one (he's the Windows guy here)

schmidt100 {l Wrote}:-on the amazons, old mine, snow hill and the garden track I have terrible performance issues
STK 0.6 is properly running on my machine: CPU 1.5 ghz, 2 GB ram, 64 mb graphic card

Indeed, performance tuning will need to occur :( problems in snow hill are more suprising though, since this track is not that big

schmidt100 {l Wrote}:-there are some little problems with presentation of text in the menu
and

Yeah, I was aware of a couple issues like that. Thanks for these screenshots, I'll add them to my bank of texts to fix. I will need to spend some time improving font rendering

schmidt100 {l Wrote}:But at all it look totally promising and thanks for your work, STK is great!

Thanks!
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Auria » 30 Apr 2010, 16:22

Hi,

horace {l Wrote}:i see "only the game master may act at this point" written many times all over the menu. this also seems to make the menu really slow. i am also on windows. anyone else with that problem?

Can you specify more clearly which steps you take to see this? You'd generally get this if e.g. you start a game with a gamepad, but then try to use keyboard in later menus. This whole logic, while necessary for multiplayer gameplay, may need to be relaxed in single-player gameplay to make it less confusing in general for users.
I'm however a little suprised that this makes the game slow, it shouldn't (unless you have really a LOT of these messages, generally you'd only have one at a time or so, unless you keep repeatedly pressing)

horace {l Wrote}:the garden track looks nice but it has very low fps for some reason.

Yeah, more tuning needed here :(
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby horace » 30 Apr 2010, 17:16

yes, there are a lot of these messages all over the screen. i didn't do anything. just installed stk and run it.

now i tried again...
it really seems to be caused by the gamepad. i disconnected my gamepad and the messages were gone. but i didn't touch the gamepad when it was still connected and i am sure that there weren't any buttons pressed by mistake. actually i never use it.
Last edited by horace on 30 Apr 2010, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
horace

Postby rudy85 » 30 Apr 2010, 17:41

Garden track is the heavyer track made yet

Auria you told so much time that I'm making Too big track , it's right , this race is slow on my computer to ;)
STK 3D animation
rudy85

Postby schmidt100 » 30 Apr 2010, 19:20

@Auria
Auria {l Wrote}:it looks really nice, but I found a few things.I tried the windows release:-its not possible to use the enter-button in the menuCan you specify a bit more? Pressing enter generally works for me. Is it in all menus, or some menus only?

The enter button is working in the main menu but not in the kart selection, race setup, track selection, pause and start race menu.
Auria {l Wrote}:schmidt100 wrote:-I got a few program crashes after I finished a race (STK just freezes)Do you get a crash report? If so we would like to have it. Otherwise, maybe Joerg can help you get one (he's the Windows guy here)

Where can I find these file?
I tried it again and it seems that the game doesn't crash if I just leave it, but when I push a button it crashes immediately.

@rudy85
rudy85 {l Wrote}:Garden track is the heavyer track made yet

thats quite sad, because it such a nice one
schmidt100

Postby Auria » 30 Apr 2010, 20:01

PatriciusKlassenikos {l Wrote}:I overall like the new stuff.
The game is rather jerky(i'm on windows, btw), and the sharp-turning could be more responsive,

Humm, I've not noticed any unresponsiveness, what do you precisely mean there?

PatriciusKlassenikos {l Wrote}:I might note that time-bombs happen more than they used to, but i am unsure whether or not that is not expected and wanted.

The pseudo-random function does indeed sometimes generate uneven results (I often get much more bubble gum than cake). Not sure how to improve that

PatriciusKlassenikos {l Wrote}:And a bug: Try pressing "Fire" with player one when player one is already in(and only player one is in). the game freezes for me.

I cannot reproduce :( can you give exact instructions on how to make it happen and/or a crash report?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Auria » 30 Apr 2010, 20:04

horace {l Wrote}:yes, there are a lot of these messages all over the screen. i didn't do anything. just installed stk and run it.

now i tried again...
it really seems to be caused by the gamepad. i disconnected my gamepad and the messages were gone. but i didn't touch the gamepad when it was still connected and i am sure that there weren't any buttons pressed by mistake. actually i never use it.

Now that's very interesting. Does your gamepad have some device that is at maximum by default (that rests at maximum value)? Maybe that would explain that, STK would think you're constantly holding it down
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Auria » 30 Apr 2010, 20:05

rudy85 {l Wrote}:Garden track is the heavyer track made yet

Auria you told so much time that I'm making Too big track , it's right , this race is slow on my computer to ;)

Size of track indeed matters; in this particular case we also need to tweak irrLicht, because the same track was faster with plib :(
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Auria » 30 Apr 2010, 20:07

schmidt100 {l Wrote}:The enter button is working in the main menu but not in the kart selection, race setup, track selection, pause and start race menu.

OK, this is a known limitation. From the moment you enter later menus, you can only use your own key bindings (accelerate, brake, fire, etc...) so you need to use 'fire' in these menus to continue. This is necessary in multiplayer games to make sure that only the game master can set-up the game, and avoid having all players trying to configure the race at the same time. However I will need to relax this in single-player mode, and possible too add menu-specific navigation keys
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby PatriciusKlassenikos » 30 Apr 2010, 20:22

Auria {l Wrote}:
PatriciusKlassenikos {l Wrote}:I overall like the new stuff.
The game is rather jerky(i'm on windows, btw), and the sharp-turning could be more responsive,

Humm, I've not noticed any unresponsiveness, what do you precisely mean there?

PatriciusKlassenikos {l Wrote}:I might note that time-bombs happen more than they used to, but i am unsure whether or not that is not expected and wanted.

The pseudo-random function does indeed sometimes generate uneven results (I often get much more bubble gum than cake). Not sure how to improve that

PatriciusKlassenikos {l Wrote}:And a bug: Try pressing "Fire" with player one when player one is already in(and only player one is in). the game freezes for me.

I cannot reproduce :( can you give exact instructions on how to make it happen and/or a crash report?

I meant that the game paused periodically, particularly in races, and then resumed of it's own accord. could be a low FPS, as well.
And i meant that the sharp turning wasn't very effective, it wasn't a very "sharp" turn.

alright. at least the cause is known and such. :)

Er, I first started it up, and started a race, and fired(it was yesterday, i don't remember exact details, sorry) and it hung.
I just tried to reproduce it, and couldn't. I have no idea what happened!
~~~Hic sunt Draconus~~~
PatriciusKlassenikos

Postby schmidt100 » 30 Apr 2010, 21:42

@Auria
I figured out when STK crashes, so after I finished a race I can press any buttons and nothing happens I get after a few seconds a menu, but if I press maenwhile the arrow buttons STK crashes immediately.
Windows says the following stuff:
I don't know if it helps you.
schmidt100

Postby horace » 30 Apr 2010, 21:53

Auria {l Wrote}:
horace {l Wrote}:yes, there are a lot of these messages all over the screen. i didn't do anything. just installed stk and run it.

now i tried again...

Now that's very interesting. Does your gamepad have some device that is at maximum by default (that rests at maximum value)? Maybe that would explain that, STK would think you're constantly holding it down
i don't know. it's a playstation 2 gamepad connected with an usb adapter.
horace

Postby Auria » 30 Apr 2010, 23:36

schmidt100 {l Wrote}:@Auria
I figured out when STK crashes, so after I finished a race I can press any buttons and nothing happens I get after a few seconds a menu, but if I press maenwhile the arrow buttons STK crashes immediately.

Thanks for the detailed report :) I was able to reproduce the bug, and I added a bug ticket for Joerg.
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=981038
Auria
STK Moderator