Learning blender

Learning blender

Postby svenskmand » 26 Apr 2010, 19:46

When I try to select a face on my model I accidentally select a face on the opposite site of the model, how do I disable this so I cannot see faces on the opposite site of the model?
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Re: Learning blender

Postby Skorpio » 26 Apr 2010, 20:23

Click on the button that displays a cube in the header of the 3D view. It says: "occlude background geometry".

BTW do you use Blender 2.50? I still use 2.49 till a stable release is available. They changed the complete interface in the new version.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 26 Apr 2010, 20:48

Skorpio {l Wrote}:Click on the button that displays a cube in the header of the 3D view. It says: "occlude background geometry".

BTW do you use Blender 2.50? I still use 2.49 till a stable release is available. They changed the complete interface in the new version.

Ahhh crap, why do they do that :S, I use 2.49b grrrrr

Ok, then what do you recommend me to do then: 1) learn 2.49b and use the excellent noob to pro book, and then wait to switch to 2.50 until I know 2.49b well. Or 2) wait for 2.50 to be out and then also wait for the noob to pro book to be updatet.

I think that solution 2 will take a VERY long time :(. So at first I think solution 1 is the best what do you think? Do you see any other solutions?

Thanks for the solution to the button problem by the way :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 26 Apr 2010, 21:18

Just stick to 2.49. I guess you'll be able to find the same tools and features in the new version, too, you'll just need some time to get used to it. I heard the OGRE exporter has some problems with the new version, and Blender 2.50 still gets changed, so it's probably better to stick to the old version.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 26 Apr 2010, 22:59

I would agree with skorpio on that, blender is notoriously difficult to learn but once you get your head around it and see why they did stuff the way they did it makes a lot more sense. With that in mind, I think once you have the "blender mindset" adapting to the new interface should be fairly straightforward. Their interface was brilliantly designed so I don't think they are going to through away the core concepts they came up with for that.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator