February 2010 DirectX SDK

February 2010 DirectX SDK

Postby COOLTUX345 » 19 Apr 2010, 15:10

I found a neat tool on the February DirectX SDK that lets you add a game to the windows game folder. I don't know how to use it so can someone please do this so that we can access the game from the windows vista and windows 7 game folder? It would be really neat.
Windows rocks and Linux stinks, but Tux is still cool!
COOLTUX345

Re: February 2010 DirectX SDK

Postby asciimonster » 20 Apr 2010, 09:41

I'm a bit confused...
Isn't the games folder just a folder with shortcuts in them, like any start menu folder?

Have you tried dragging the supertuxkart icon into the games folder?
asciimonster

Postby COOLTUX345 » 21 Apr 2010, 14:51

asciimonster {l Wrote}:I'm a bit confused...
Isn't the games folder just a folder with shortcuts in them, like any start menu folder?

Have you tried dragging the supertuxkart icon into the games folder?

Not in windows 7 and vista. It should show a High-Quality game logo and the recommended system rating, but in this game,we forgot that. If you use the new DirectX SDK and the games folder tool that comes with it, it would make it look more professional.
COOLTUX345

Postby Arthur » 21 Apr 2010, 15:22

And the benefits of this is...?
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby hiker » 22 Apr 2010, 06:06

STK is not using DirectX, and while Irrlicht might support it, we have no intention to support it for STK.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby COOLTUX345 » 26 Apr 2010, 15:08

hiker {l Wrote}:STK is not using DirectX, and while Irrlicht might support it, we have no intention to support it for STK.

Cheers,
Joerg

We would not be using DirectX in the game, but this adds more features for windows vista and 7 users. It also is good for newbies to open-source games, as they will at first naturally look in the games folder to see it it's there. It is what the professional gamemakers do nowadays and was done with the crystalspace version of YoFrankie! Please do this as it does not add DirectX to the game, it only adds a new feature.
COOLTUX345

Postby hiker » 27 Apr 2010, 04:02

COOLTUX345 {l Wrote}:We would not be using DirectX in the game, but this adds more features for windows vista and 7 users. It also is good for newbies to open-source games, as they will at first naturally look in the games folder to see it it's there. It is what the professional gamemakers do nowadays and was done with the crystalspace version of YoFrankie! Please do this as it does not add DirectX to the game, it only adds a new feature.

If it's part of the DirectX SDK, it would mean we have to link with directx, which we don't support (atm), and which I don't want to do. On http://blog.hexagonstar.com/vistatweak6/ are some instruction how you can hack a game to end up in that folder (it involves changing the registry - so please don't complain if your computers stops working at the end).

If someone sends a patch (e.g. an improved installation procedure) which does that I will be happy to add this in (if it doesn't involve adding DirectX or other dependencies).

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker