Liberated Pixel Cup

Liberated Pixel Cup

Postby alexander » 28 Jun 2012, 22:00

http://lpc.opengameart.org/

it's a two-part competition. the first part is the art part (this is almost over), and the second part is the coding part. the coding part starts on the first of July. anyone going to enter? I probably will. I think it's a really great effort. :-)
alexander

Re: Liberated Pixel Cup

Postby Julius » 28 Jun 2012, 23:11

Old news, has been featured several times on the blog ;)

But yeah, good contest overall.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby alexander » 28 Jun 2012, 23:21

know it's old etc, but didn't see a forum thread for it.
alexander

Postby andrewj » 29 Jun 2012, 06:04

I will be entering the coding part, and I'm developing a 2D engine based on the Quake source code.

One thing I've realized is that one month is not a very long time to develop a complete game (especially as an individual). I have lots of ideas, but an idea that takes a week to implement is simply too long no matter how great the idea is.

Can't wait to see the final set of artwork -- seeing some of great stuff in the progress thread really keeps your motivation up.
andrewj

Postby qubodup » 29 Jun 2012, 07:19

andrewj {l Wrote}:a 2D engine based on the Quake source code.

awesome!
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby amuzen » 29 Jun 2012, 12:04

I have been considering participating in the coding phase, but it will remain a mere consideration until I see what kind of art is available. If there is not enough art to support a non-isometric game, I will likely pass since the suggested genre does not inspire me much. Otherwise, I will probably enter.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby Julius » 29 Jun 2012, 12:56

qubodup {l Wrote}:

awesome!

Please tell me you are basing it on Darkplaces and support 2D normalmaps!!!
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 29 Jun 2012, 13:01

andrewj {l Wrote}:One thing I've realized is that one month is not a very long time to develop a complete game (especially as an individual). I have lots of ideas, but an idea that takes a week to implement is simply too long no matter how great the idea is.

This is actually my main gripe about it and I expressed it to the organizers quite early too. I just don't see the point in having a bunch of half finished game prototypes and would have rather liked to see a contest focusing on the improvement of existing games or such.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby andrewj » 29 Jun 2012, 13:02

qubodup {l Wrote}:awesome!

Heh, hopefully, but maybe not as good as it sounds.
andrewj

Postby alexander » 29 Jun 2012, 14:04

amuzen {l Wrote}:I have been considering participating in the coding phase, but it will remain a mere consideration until I see what kind of art is available. If there is not enough art to support a non-isometric game, I will likely pass since the suggested genre does not inspire me much. Otherwise, I will probably enter.

the game needs to have an orthogonal view. the art will be reflecting this.

as of now, it looks like you are free to make a game in any genre. it would be cool if someone made something completely unexpected, like a football game.

Julius {l Wrote}:
andrewj {l Wrote}:One thing I've realized is that one month is not a very long time to develop a complete game (especially as an individual). I have lots of ideas, but an idea that takes a week to implement is simply too long no matter how great the idea is.

This is actually my main gripe about it and I expressed it to the organizers quite early too. I just don't see the point in having a bunch of half finished game prototypes and would have rather liked to see a contest focusing on the improvement of existing games or such.

I disagree with the sentiment that one month is too short a time to make a game. but it may be too short a time to make it when you can't afford to put all of your days into it. I for one am working in July, so it will be difficult to simply find time for this. I will try though - with my colleague. I suggest that you all try to find someone to work with. preferably someone you can meet in person often if you are inexperienced as game developers.
alexander

Postby amuzen » 29 Jun 2012, 14:51

alexander {l Wrote}:the game needs to have an orthogonal view. the art will be reflecting this.

As far as I can tell, the rules of the coding competition do not set any restrictions on the view type or rendering technique of the game. They only concern the licensing requirements and that you must use art created during the art phase, but technically you could make anything from a side view platformer to a 3D shooter within those restrictions.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby alexander » 29 Jun 2012, 15:33

amuzen {l Wrote}:As far as I can tell, the rules of the coding competition do not set any restrictions on the view type or rendering technique of the game. They only concern the licensing requirements and that you must use art created during the art phase, but technically you could make anything from a side view platformer to a 3D shooter within those restrictions.

«Rendering should be orthographic, which means there is no perspective... things do not get smaller as they move into the distance. If you’re using perspective techniques on your props or tiles, that’s wrong.»

I fully expect the coding phase to require you to make an game with orthographic rendering. I wouldn't be surprised to see the rules/guidelines mention using tilesets either. I guess we'll get answers when the guidelines for the code phase is announced.
alexander

Postby Julius » 29 Jun 2012, 15:57

alexander {l Wrote}:
amuzen {l Wrote}:As far as I can tell, the rules of the coding competition do not set any restrictions on the view type or rendering technique of the game. They only concern the licensing requirements and that you must use art created during the art phase, but technically you could make anything from a side view platformer to a 3D shooter within those restrictions.

«Rendering should be orthographic, which means there is no perspective... things do not get smaller as they move into the distance. If you’re using perspective techniques on your props or tiles, that’s wrong.»

I fully expect the coding phase to require you to make an game with orthographic rendering. I wouldn't be surprised to see the rules/guidelines mention using tilesets either. I guess we'll get answers when the guidelines for the code phase is announced.

This is the requirement for the art-contest, however for the game-coding contest you are free to alter the artwork by any means... for example you could use the 2D artwork as textures for a 3D first person shooter if you come up with a clever way to do it.

Edit: at least this is how I understood it so far... maybe they will make ortographic rendering an requirement, but I don't think so as they allowed working on your game before the start and never mentioned anything like that.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby amuzen » 29 Jun 2012, 16:25

Julius {l Wrote}:This is the requirement for the art-contest, however for the game-coding contest you are free to alter the artwork by any means... for example you could use the 2D artwork as textures for a 3D first person shooter if you come up with a clever way to do it.

Edit: at least this is how I understood it so far... maybe they will make ortographic rendering an requirement, but I don't think so as they allowed working on your game before the start and never mentioned anything like that.

This is also how I have understood it. The style guide should be specific to the art phase since it is only mentioned in the judging criteria of the art phase. You cannot expect programmers to read the rules of the art phase when both phases are entered and judged separately. The style guide starting by saying that it is intended for pixel artists also supports this interpretation.

Furthermore, the judging criteria of the coding phase say that "Games will be judged on how creatively they use the artwork." They should remove that one if you are not, in fact, allowed to use the artwork creatively, since creativity means taking an original or unexpected approach. Using the artwork as intended is not very creative in my opinion.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby Cire » 29 Jun 2012, 16:55

When it comes to perspective I think first-person is cool, but on the other hand there are more important things to a game than perspective imo, like atmosphere.
Cire

Postby ShaiShap » 02 Jul 2012, 12:05

I am now starting to work on my own Liberated Pixel Cup project. Not much information revealed so far, but I'll give more details about it on my site as I advance.
http://shaishapira.com - Now with 13% more free software, and entirely cholesterol-free.
ShaiShap

Postby dulsi » 06 Aug 2019, 15:38

Was the demo code for the liberated pizel cup ever uploaded somewhere else. The link is to https://gitorious.org/liberated-pixel-cup/ but that is gone now.

(It doesn't really matter much to me but I figured I'd ask.)
dulsi

Postby mdtrooper » 07 Aug 2019, 08:46

Maybe the copy in archive.org could help you.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130902211 ... pixel-cup/
And I have a Patreon in https://www.patreon.com/migueldedios.
mdtrooper

Postby dulsi » 07 Aug 2019, 12:08

mdtrooper {l Wrote}:Maybe the copy in archive.org could help you.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130902211 ... pixel-cup/

I already tried that. I didn't see anyway to get the code from any of the archived pages.
dulsi

Postby mdtrooper » 07 Aug 2019, 16:52

There are a list of repos in the readonly gitorious server: https://gitorious.org/index-list.html

But the repo that you wrote is not in the list.

There are only these repos:

liberated-pixel-cup/emmanuel2004s-lpc_styleguide.git
liberated-pixel-cup/hicklc01s-lpc_mmo.git
liberated-pixel-cup/liberated-pixel-cup-gitorious-wiki.git
liberated-pixel-cup/lpc_styleguide.git
liberated-pixel-cup/mpescadors-lpc_styleguide.git
liberated-pixel-cup/neurobugs-lpc_styleguide.git
liberated-pixel-cup/openlposs-lpc_styleguide.git
liberated-pixel-cup/silvagomess-lpc_styleguide.git
liberated-pixel-cup/stefanbellers-lpc_styleguide.git
And I have a Patreon in https://www.patreon.com/migueldedios.
mdtrooper

Postby dulsi » 07 Aug 2019, 17:34

Actually I think the lpc_styleguide.git might be it. It has the demo code. I see this project on github. Which seems to be the same thing with only two more commits.
dulsi