Shadow Gears

Shadow Gears

Postby kiba » 05 Apr 2010, 07:08

Shadow Gears, a real-time tactical combat game made with bleeding web technologies such as web socket, canvas, and HTML5. It will be my first serious PUBLIC DOMAIN game. This game is not going to push the envelope of the video game medium, but it will have lot of violences, gore, sexy babes, and foremost be fun.

Notes:

Shadow Gears is meant to be a commercial operation yet remain PUBLIC DOMAIN and in the OPEN at all time, including the server. However, the player database and other sensitive information will remain unavailable.

Homepage: http://wiki.kibabase.com/Shadow_Gears

Repository: http://github.com/kiba/Shadow-Gears

Version: n/a

Roadmap: Single player, with working game server for version 0.0.0.

Screenshot: n/a

Business Model: At some undetermined point into the future, the game will be subscription only. 30 days trials, and then 5 bucks a month.

Help wanted: Cyberpunk and steampunk art assets. Hopefully SVG graphics. MUST BE PUBLIC DOMAIN. All assets will also be donated to opengameart.org.

DONE: I also need a free server to put my in-development game server on.

If you have any doubt about the viability of Shadow Gears...I am working on it everyday, with ten commits each day as a goal in addition to my RubyTet project. There is no proof that I will continue to work on it in the future though.
Last edited by kiba on 12 Apr 2010, 21:57, edited 3 times in total.
I run the Libregamewiki.

I also make games at Kibabase.
kiba
LGW Moderator

Re: Shadow Gears

Postby qubodup » 05 Apr 2010, 16:11

It's not clear what kind of style (serious, final-fantasy-like-chibi, retro) and what kind of perspective (side view or from-top) you want. Still I was inspired and did a little something [cyberwand].

Is there some specific game which has a gameplay you're trying to imitate or using as inspiration? z perhaps? Can you tell a little more about what assets you want?

By the way: the only foss cyberpunk game I'm aware of is Decker [vid]. Not very playable but perhaps the author would be interested in your project. Perhaps its assets could be used.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby kiba » 05 Apr 2010, 16:58

qubodup {l Wrote}:It's not clear what kind of style (serious, final-fantasy-like-chibi, retro) and what kind of perspective (side view or from-top) you want. Still I was inspired and did a little something [cyberwand].

Well. It is not going to be 3Dish, that's for sure. Retro, probably a good idea. I am aiming for realism rather than cartoonish.

My art direction is toward a hybird steampunk/cyberpunk game world.

Is there some specific game which has a gameplay you're trying to imitate or using as inspiration? z perhaps? Can you tell a little more about what assets you want?

Mud and Blood 2 is my inspiration. It is a defense game where you control troops indirectly and call in airstrike, counter air offensive, and other goodies.

By the way: the only foss cyberpunk game I'm aware of is Decker [vid]. Not very playable but perhaps the author would be interested in your project. Perhaps its assets could be used.

Shadow Gears is not about hijacking opponents, but shootouts and lot of them. I doubt much of their assets can be used.

In the future, it might be a special ability.
I run the Libregamewiki.

kiba
LGW Moderator

Postby qubodup » 06 Apr 2010, 03:04

Another inspiration Image

If I remember correctly, you mentioned "server and client" on IRC. why would such a game need a server/client system?

PS: thanks for adding the mud&blood2 link
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby kiba » 06 Apr 2010, 05:46

qubodup {l Wrote}:Another inspiration Image

Look like a bunch of pretty colors.

Perhaps googling Ghost in the Shell will help. http://images.google.com/images?q=ghost ... =en&tab=wi

If I remember correctly, you mentioned "server and client" on IRC. why would such a game need a server/client system?

PS: thanks for adding the mud&blood2 link

You seriously didn't read my post? It mentioned "game server" twice and "websocket" once.

Why this game need a server/client system? Well, I am dumb enough to try the MMO angle for my second game. The demo will be just a simple single player game, which require a server to play.

So even if it will never be an MMO, it can become at least a multiplayer game someday.
I run the Libregamewiki.

kiba
LGW Moderator

Postby qubodup » 06 Apr 2010, 12:31

kiba {l Wrote}:Look like a bunch of pretty colors.

Right, I was thinking HexTD, abstract retro. I can't do realistic stuff (especially with vectors) so no more from me. :)

I guess ShadowGears is supposed to be top-down, so the following (proprietary) games might be good for inspiration:
Adrenaline
Crimsonland (and Violetland)
GTA2
Notrium
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 06 Apr 2010, 15:37

I'd love to see more cyberpunk games, especially if they're similar to the old Shadowrun RPG for the Sega Genesis/Megadrive. It had a really nice Matrix system that was very close to the pen & paper version. You can download it from HotUD.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby wulax » 11 Apr 2010, 03:18

This sounds like an interesting project.

Is something like this what you had in mind?
Attachments
soldier_unit.svg
(97.61 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
wulax

Postby qubodup » 11 Apr 2010, 16:21

wulax {l Wrote}:Is something like this what you had in mind?

Oh, very nice!
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby kiba » 11 Apr 2010, 22:46

wulax {l Wrote}:This sounds like an interesting project.

Is something like this what you had in mind?

It is not very "cybernetic" but is a very usable asset.

EDIT: I added a little note. Also, I added a link to Shadow Gears' project page.

EDIT 2: Is it licensed under the public domain, and can I have your name as proof?
I run the Libregamewiki.

kiba
LGW Moderator

Postby wulax » 12 Apr 2010, 17:45

kiba {l Wrote}:EDIT 2: Is it licensed under the public domain, and can I have your name as proof?

Yes, I made it, and release it under public domain. Johannes Sjölund is my name.

Hmm, if you are going to make the game subscription only I'm not interested in helping anymore. :(
wulax

Postby kiba » 12 Apr 2010, 21:55

wulax {l Wrote}:
kiba {l Wrote}:EDIT 2: Is it licensed under the public domain, and can I have your name as proof?

Yes, I made it, and release it under public domain. Johannes Sjölund is my name.

Hmm, if you are going to make the game subscription only I'm not interested in helping anymore. :(

I guess nobody wants to contribute to my game even though I am going to keep it public domain forever until the last breath of the commercial venture.
I run the Libregamewiki.

kiba
LGW Moderator

Postby kiba » 13 Apr 2010, 22:16

I am taking a break from all my current game projects(including rubytet) to focus on freelancing. But I still write open source games, just getting paid to do it.
I run the Libregamewiki.

kiba
LGW Moderator