some questions

some questions

Postby ming.yan2 » 13 May 2012, 08:02

Hi Edward lii
I am a student learning Free Open Source Soft Development course, i have some questions about this project, as i want to make a contribution to this game and wanna more information included in my report.

Firt question: What is the motivations behind this project?
Second question: Does this project have any interactins or relationships with other projects?

could you give me a answer as detailed as possible plz? expecting your reponse :)

Thank you very much!
ming.yan2

Re: some questions

Postby Edward_Lii » 13 May 2012, 08:54

Hello ming.yan2,

ming.yan2 {l Wrote}:Firt question: What is the motivations behind this project?

I think the primary motivation behind this project is, as with most free open source projects, to deliver an application with not only the source open but also with an active community around it.
So it's not only the code/program that is open/free but also the project and the community, allowing people to easily join and contribute.

This hasn't been the case though, in the beginning it was a small prototype project made by Luka Horvat to learn the concepts polymorphism, inheritance and friendship.
It was later when Omer Bahri Gordebak decided to create a clone of the prototype the project became open source and the motives changed.
At that time I joined the project, of course because it was open source and the game had an interesting game-play, but also because I wanted to learn C++ at that time. ;)

That shows that there are always multiple motives behind a project which can be different from person to person.
Someone might join, create something not primarily because he/she wants to help the project, but for his or her portfolio or to gain experience.

ming.yan2 {l Wrote}:Second question: Does this project have any interactins or relationships with other projects?

That's quite an interesting question, the most obvious relationships between meandmyshadow and other projects are the libraries we use to create this game.
But these don't go any further than using these libraries and reporting (serious) bugs if we encounter them.

Project is quite a broad term so you can see FreeGameDev, SourceForge, etc. as projects.
In that case we have some more interaction, for example FreeGameDev for hosting the meandmyshadow forum.
SourceForge hosts the project web, downloads, bug/issue tracker, svn repository, etc...
But again these don't go any further than making suggestions and reporting bugs (and increase the web traffic a bit. :D )

Without these project meandmyshadow wouldn't be as it is right now, we're really thankful for that.
So whenever we can, we contribute back to those projects, but sadly that's not very often.
I think that is because we don't really use a game engine or a gui library or something like that, if you miss something in those kind of libraries you can build it in and contribute back.
That also applies when making a mod/overhaul of an existing project, then you fiddle in the other projects code and can easily provide patches.

ming.yan2 {l Wrote}:could you give me a answer as detailed as possible plz? expecting your reponse :)

Detailed enough?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator