opentextures.com?

opentextures.com?

Postby ctdabomb » 16 Apr 2012, 13:48

It would be cool to have a website like cgtexutres.com or OGA except for just FOSS licensed textures......
I would be willing to help make/moderate/whatever is needed if this would happen.
I know that OGA already has some textures, but it would be cool to have a website dedicated to FOSS textures.

Anyone like this idea or have any suggestions? :think:
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Re: opentextures.com?

Postby qubodup » 16 Apr 2012, 15:03

We have http://burningwell.com/
and http://opengameart.org/

Both have texture sections.

Does serve the cause or is just having a spot not enough in your eyes and you think that there should be a website dedicated *only* to textures?

See also http://freegamedev.net/wiki/Free_resources
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 16 Apr 2012, 15:17

http://freegamedev.net/wiki/Free_resources - is really helpful.

My idea probably won't work :( though I think it would be cool
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby qubodup » 16 Apr 2012, 17:28

You have not described your idea enough for me to understand what it is. ;)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 16 Apr 2012, 17:32

my idea is have a website like those mentioned above that is just for textures that are of course FOSS licensed.
ctdabomb

Postby Tranberry » 18 Apr 2012, 03:36

I would love a deeper clarification of this idea, I don't follow the need, yet.
I agree with Q until I post differently.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 18 Apr 2012, 13:41

I felt like that there wasn't one really good super place to get open source textures, i knew that there were places with some(or a lot), but I felt that there should be a website entirely dedicated open source textures, so I threw the idea out there to see what people thought.
ctdabomb

Postby Knitter » 18 Apr 2012, 13:58

I think that trying to improve the available textures at OGA is a better option. The infrastructure is already in place, a community exists and most of the initial effort has been made. Why not just join OGA and dedicate yourself to the texture section/category?

In other words, what would yet another website/hosting bring that OGA doesn't offer already? Why would I choose your texture website and not an already established and proven place like OGA?

I understand that you may want to have better textures, increase the number of existing textures and provide a more texture focused place but wouldn't it be better to do all those things in OGA instead of creating yet another project?
Knitter

Postby qubodup » 19 Apr 2012, 12:39

One problem that OGA has is that the "textures" section is just a "search" form with specific parameters. However there is no <h1> or <h2> which says "Textures" or "Open Source Textures" or "Free, legal textures". The <head><title> only says "Search Art | OpenGameArt.org". This way, people using a search engine to find "open source textures" will not see OGA as one of the first results, even though it might fit their needs very well.

I believe it would be a similar effort to make OGA have appropriate tags that give it multiple faces, which would make it better-indexed for search engines or to create a new website for textures only. But creating a new website would mean double the maintenance effort. Improving OGA definitely would be much more valuable to the community.

OGA is drupal-based. If you can work with that platform and want to help, get started by getting to know the community via forums and/or IRC. :)

Instead of sleeping tonight I created qubodup.github.com/ost, which is obviously heavily inspired from cgtextures (ironically, they will soon be updating their web design in the near future). All image links lead to searches on either http://opengameart.org or http://Burningwell.org . Who knows, perhaps it will direct search engine queries saying "open source textures" into the right direction one day :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 19 Apr 2012, 13:51

cool! :D
ctdabomb

Postby Tranberry » 19 Apr 2012, 15:00

Q, you are a hero. :D
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby BartK » 28 Apr 2012, 23:40

In response to this thread, we're working on some major changes to texture browsing at OGA. Also, manually categorizing almost four thousand individual textures is a royal pain in the butt, so a big thanks to the community members who are helping with that! :)

Here's the link:

http://opengameart.org/textures/all

From the main page. you can get to it by going to Browse -> Textures.
OpenGameArt.org
Free, legal art for Open Source game projects
BartK
Community Moderator

Postby leilei » 29 Apr 2012, 00:13

oh no, you have the infamous cgtextures derivatives I had to pull from OA years ago causing a controversial release revocation (oa 0.8.0), even worse they're in jpeg
leilei

Postby BartK » 29 Apr 2012, 01:24

Wonderful. :p

A link to one of the textures in the offending pack would be immensely helpful. :)
OpenGameArt.org
BartK
Community Moderator

Postby BartK » 29 Apr 2012, 10:20

Come on, don't leave me hanging. You're killin' me, Smalls!

If we've got a bad pack of textures, I need to take them down. Can you do me a favor and point one out so I can get rid of them?
OpenGameArt.org
BartK
Community Moderator

Postby Tranberry » 29 Apr 2012, 13:42

Great move Bart, really like how you handle stuff. :)

leilei; it would be lovely to know what pack are infected/bad.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby qubodup » 29 Apr 2012, 13:49

About the cgtexture derivatives which leilei pointed out: TRaK made textures based on cgtextures. He got permission from the owner of cgtextures to release those textures under ccbysa/gpl. I whined about it on the blog http://freegamer.blogspot.de/2008/09/op ... s-and.html I recommend you contact cgtextures' owner and ask.

http://opengameart.org/textures/all - cool!!!! What is missing is the <head><title> to contain "Free, Open Source Textures: Wood - Varnished - Dark | OpenGameArt.org" ( http://opengameart.org/textures/5559 example) or similar..
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 29 Apr 2012, 14:09

Wow! it's cool! thanks Bart! :)

Edit: one annoying thing though, when you click on a category, the "file tree" doesn't stay in its position with the open folders and resets itself.
ctdabomb

Postby qubodup » 29 Apr 2012, 14:23

Note: http://opengameart.org/textures/all shows different results, depending on whether or not I am logged in.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby BartK » 29 Apr 2012, 23:15

@qubodup & leilei

If it's actually the case that he specifically got permission to release those textures as cc-by-sa from the owner of the originals, then that's all that's necessary for them to be legitimate. Leilei, can you confirm this?

@ctdabomb

That's a known issue. I'll get it fixed soon.
OpenGameArt.org
BartK
Community Moderator

Postby leilei » 30 Apr 2012, 00:04

This post on their defunct forums answered my question.
leilei

Postby BartK » 30 Apr 2012, 00:19

Okay, so what's this about them explicitly allowing the textures to be CC-BY-SA?
OpenGameArt.org
BartK
Community Moderator

Postby leilei » 30 Apr 2012, 02:12

They weren't CC-BY-SA, they were GPL because it was also derived from GPL'ed evillair textures from Nexuiz, then mixed with the encumbering cgtextures works.
Since I operate on a strict better-safe-than-sorry approach for my project I had to let them go and be more paranoid about contributions from then on. I only audit what comes submitted to the SVN Commits thread for example, and i don't commit what's outside of that thread. There's also personal bias to consider, as I was insulted prior to the removal.

Sorry for dragging this slightly off-topic. CGTextures is a shortcut for many just like SoundIdeas is a shortcut for sound engineers, and some only understand "GPL" as a blanket freeware license and forget about the entitlement of source providing part of it too.
leilei

Open Source Textures

Postby qubodup » 30 Apr 2012, 17:54

I hope that OGA's texture section will be (one of) the first results(s) when people search?q=open+source+textures. My latest FG blog post seems to be #6 now, hopefully making the OGA page more visible and climb that ladder over time.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 30 Apr 2012, 18:53

Suggestion: I can't find the term "open source textures" on the page. According to Wikipedia, metatags are dead because of overuse, search engines parse the page text these days.
So: How about you put a small, descriptive subtitle into each category, such as: "This category contains <span class="bold_font">open source textures</span>, which can be used for modelling, mapping, etc." ?
Sauer2