FOSS RTS, brainstorm for Blogpost

FOSS RTS, brainstorm for Blogpost

Postby Julius » 16 Dec 2009, 00:00

Hey community!

I am thinking about making a new blog-post about FOSS RTS games in the next days.
I would like to include 0-AD, recent Warzone2100 developments, some new Glest stuff and Spring 1944 (and maybe other Spring mods).
Any other suggestions or specific links to nice videos or screenshots you can contribute?

Maybe another post about TBS games would be nice also, games that come to mind would be UFO-AI, Wesnoth, Advanced strategic command... maybe some of the risk clones and that Battletech board-game conversion... other suggestions? Wasn't there also a nice Panzergeneral clone?
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: FOSS RTS, brainstorm for Blogpost

Postby hagish » 16 Dec 2009, 00:02

hagish
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 16 Dec 2009, 00:05

Is that actually good at *all*? I remember trying it once long time ago and found it horribly boring :(
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby qubodup » 16 Dec 2009, 00:59

Not exactly RTSs:

Widelands - will have a coding meetup in 2010 http://wl.widelands.org/

PyTowerDefense (Playable Alpha) - makes interesting use of mindmap for design http://sourceforge.net/projects/pytowerdefense/ http://www.mindmeister.com/31183260/tower-defense
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 16 Dec 2009, 13:18

Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 16 Dec 2009, 15:07

Hmm ORTS seems not bad... do you know if it is actually playable? It seems like I am too stupid to compile it on my Ubuntu box :(
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 16 Dec 2009, 15:20

Julius {l Wrote}:Is that actually good at *all*? I remember trying it once long time ago and found it horribly boring :(

Glob2 is like the only real innovation in FOSS RTS games, really. The tutorial needs a bit balls and patience to get through, but the basic concept is amazingly amusing once you introduce more enemies and stuff.
My gamedesign blawg!
<remaxim>well, it is called freegamedev... means you develop games for other people for free xD

.Net/Mono is a rabid beast cursed with M$-specific limitations and sh*t. XNA isn't much better. Remember that, kids.
Sindwiller

Postby qubodup » 16 Dec 2009, 16:14

Julius {l Wrote}:Hmm ORTS seems not bad... do you know if it is actually playable? It seems like I am too stupid to compile it on my Ubuntu box :(

I was able to get it to run a month or two ago but there were no missions, just a map with resources and miners. I think it's not more than an rts engine and I'm not sure battle is implemented yet.
PS: It appears that I'm incorrect about battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pAHGDb2QtU
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 16 Dec 2009, 19:44

Uhmm... well and given the lack of recent progress I guess it's not really what I am looking for then.

I guess I will focus on stuff like Warzone2100 then.
With the new terrain renderer and all the other graphical updates looks quite nice though... I really don't get why they don't release a version with that included. It seems rather complete already.
It's really a pity that Spring is such a mess to set up, Glest doesn't have properly implemented multiplayer and Warzone2100 looks so old... it seems like there are three in theory great FOSS RTS, but each one is severely lacking in one area, resulting in no good RTS at all... well and 0-AD seems like a newer ending story :(
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 16 Dec 2009, 20:06

Check out Glest Advanced Engine. That has a multiplayer/network implementation.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/glestae
http://glest.org/glest_board/index.php?board=15.0
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 16 Dec 2009, 20:12

Yeah I was going to write about that.. but it seems not really ready for normal gamers either :(
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 16 Dec 2009, 22:34

So, has Glest become fun playing now or is it as dull as it ever was? :P
My gamedesign blawg!
<remaxim>well, it is called freegamedev... means you develop games for other people for free xD

.Net/Mono is a rabid beast cursed with M$-specific limitations and sh*t. XNA isn't much better. Remember that, kids.
Sindwiller

Postby DarkBaboon » 17 Dec 2009, 18:01

There is another FOSS RTS, Battle For Rashitoul but it is a little bit dead since 2004...
This game won a special prize from a French contest for Open-Source and Free Games organized by the French Research Ministry !
I'm willing to revive this project but I runs out of time...
Join us and/or follow me if you dare to come on Identica!
DarkBaboon

Postby qubodup » 17 Dec 2009, 18:22

DarkBaboon {l Wrote}:There is another FOSS RTS, Battle For Rashitoul...

Man was it annoying to find the screenshots, anyways, they are here: http://rashitoul.net/fr/htm/captures.htm
Thanks for informing us of that game! It looks weird and interesting.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 18 Dec 2009, 14:28

Sindwiller {l Wrote}:So, has Glest become fun playing now or is it as dull as it ever was? :P

Well it is a pretty standard RTS, but if the multiplayer was working it might actually be fun ;) Never really got into single-player RTS anyways...
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 22 Dec 2009, 14:48

Julius {l Wrote}:
Sindwiller {l Wrote}:So, has Glest become fun playing now or is it as dull as it ever was? :P

Well it is a pretty standard RTS, but if the multiplayer was working it might actually be fun ;) Never really got into single-player RTS anyways...

It's a below-standards game. Even if it has all the basic elements a RTS needs, it's unplayable due to unbalanced gameplay, blocky GUI and controls and intransparent unit trees. :|
My gamedesign blawg!

Sindwiller

Postby Deceth » 23 Dec 2009, 15:31

charlie {l Wrote}:Battle City:
http://battlecity.looble.com/

As an impartial judge simply willing to contribute to this conversation, I would have to say, Battle City is an excellent candidate for a blog post. I highly encourage everyone to write about Battle City. In fact, putting up signs in your neighborhood is good too.

Also, if you have a giant laser, please send me a private message. I am having difficulty acquiring one. I'd say its for non-profit charity use, but who am I kidding - giant lasers are always for large ransom demands...
Become an Evil Overlord at Looble.com or embark on an epic open source adventure playing Battle City
Deceth

Postby qubodup » 23 Dec 2009, 19:18

Deceth {l Wrote}:Also, if you have a giant laser, please send me a private message. I am having difficulty acquiring one. I'd say its for non-profit charity use, but who am I kidding - giant lasers are always for large ransom demands...

So if you get giant laser gfx and sfx, such a unit will be made available in the game?...

I like where this is going...
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 23 Dec 2009, 22:32

@Deceth: Is there a Linux version available I can test?

Oh and I also found this game:
http://www.maxr.org/
It can be either used with the original M.A.X. data or stand alone (no sound etc then though).
It's somewhat of a mixture between RTS and TBS though... and still under heavy development it seems.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Deceth » 24 Dec 2009, 15:08

@qubodup / Yes, if I acquire giant laser gfx and sfx, then a giant laser item will most certainly be made available in the game. Of course, it will be exclusively available to me so that I can terrorize those who are deserving of punishment - and once in a while someone innocent who is not... ;)

@Julius / Unfortunately right now there is no official Linux version. I do know of several players who successfully use WINE to get online. I'm currently searching for some minions to whom I can make empty promises of power in exchange for their free labor on the code. These minions shall be instructed to clean up the code and to replace any Windows dependencies with better solutions.
Become an Evil Overlord at Looble.com or embark on an epic open source adventure playing Battle City
Deceth

Postby Julius » 29 Dec 2009, 01:16

Ok made a update to the blog:
http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2009/12/f ... games.html

In the end I decided to mention only 0AD and Warzone2100 in more detail... I was thinking about Glest GAE, but there is not really anything great to show about that yet I believe.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 30 Dec 2009, 11:46

Good post. Is that mech mod for Warzone already playable? I'm too lazy to read the thread. ;) When the new renderer is ready I might be willing to download and play it again (I still have my original Warzone 2100 CD hehe).
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Julius » 30 Dec 2009, 14:11

Skorpio {l Wrote}:Good post. Is that mech mod for Warzone already playable? I'm too lazy to read the thread. ;) When the new renderer is ready I might be willing to download and play it again (I still have my original Warzone 2100 CD hehe).

No the mech mod is currently more or less only a set of models, and it is unclear when and if it will be actually playable. The models are nice though, and thus it would be a pity if not.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby qubodup » 30 Dec 2009, 15:31

I liked the post too!

Skorpio: I asked the same thing and got a positive reply :)
qubodup
Global Moderator