33%
LMH's Primed for Action
67%
SuperMat's I lost things
No votes

Total votes : 3

Level Contest

Postby ctdabomb » 30 Dec 2011, 21:13

Hello all, every month or so we will have a level contest each time with a specific theme. :cool:

The first contest:
Rules and all that stuff: :)
  • A snow tileset theme
  • Submit your levels here until the 27th of January, when voting will start
  • Voting on levels will end on the January 30st
  • Winners will be announced January 31st
  • Have fun
  • One level per person
  • Top few levels will/can be made into an add-on or
  • If admins are okay with it top levels will get added to incubator island(if winners are okay with it)
  • One entry per person
  • Please make a new level. (not from and existing worldmap/levelset)
  • Don't vote for your self.
  • Feel free to comment on peoples levels, most people would like to hear what was wrong or good with their level.
To download the editor: https://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/Download/Unstable
A basic unfinshied guide to using the editor(playing around on it is the best way to learn): http://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/Editor_Guide
Guidlines for making levels: https://supertux.lethargik.org/wiki/Mil ... Styleguide

Thanks, and have fun!
CT. da'Bomb
(In case we have more than 20 levels I will choose top 20 we will vote on(forum polls cant have more than 20 options))
Last edited by ctdabomb on 04 Jan 2012, 17:03, edited 4 times in total.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Re: Level Contest

Postby qubodup » 03 Jan 2012, 19:40

In a contest or 'call to contributions' you should assume that this is the first time the reader finds out about the game.

Best to include links to the game page and instructions on how to use editor. Guidelines would help as well (level length?)

IMHO self-voting should be prohibited, even if you think yours is best.

Lists should be formatted as lists.
(fyi: you can edit your post)

PS: this might be irrelevant if this is not the main announcement and there is a blog post with the stuff I mentioned that can be used to spread the word.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 03 Jan 2012, 20:20

thanks for the suggestions.
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby amuzen » 04 Jan 2012, 04:01

It only violates about half of the guidelines so it's at least marginally compliant. It only takes 4 lives to clear it after a lot of practice so it's not impossible. If your kids enjoy a good spanking, they'll also enjoy this! :p
Attachments
castlebipolar.zip
(1.91 KiB) Downloaded 626 times
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 04 Jan 2012, 17:02

Go amuzen! the first level!
it is a hard level you are right, but fun. I personally couldn't beat it probably because of differences from 3.3 and svn in the hidden block physics. overall though, it was a fun level(i love a good challenge) but you might want to change it to be a bit more snowy since that is the theme.
ctdabomb

Postby ctdabomb » 04 Jan 2012, 17:14

here is a level by Hume that he wanted to get submitted to the contest
Attachments
let_us_snow.zip
(5.24 KiB) Downloaded 599 times
ctdabomb

Postby ctdabomb » 04 Jan 2012, 19:09

ctdabomb

Postby LMH » 04 Jan 2012, 21:09

Speaking of the difference between 0.3.3 and SVN, is there any sort of requirement for the contest? Unfortunately the two have significantly different performance which could result in some heavy confusion. I would imagine that the level would need to play well in SVN in order to be considered for Incubator Island, but 0.3.3 is more readily available and would result in more participation. Voting could be complicated as well since levels could utterly fail in one version and be exceptional in the other.

After the contest is done, I'll go ahead and package the submissions as an add-on so that people can enjoy participants hard work.
LMH

Postby ctdabomb » 05 Jan 2012, 20:01

here is my level called After the Glaciers. hope you like it. :cool:
Attachments
glaciers.zip
(2.85 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
ctdabomb

Postby LMH » 09 Jan 2012, 21:31

Here is my submission called "Primed for Action". It works fine in 0.3.3 but badguy interaction is cleaner in 0.3.3-SVN. It's a little longer than I originally wanted and also suffers from multiple layers of nerd which I apologize for. I'd say the level difficulty is moderate to mildly difficult depending on if you figure out the primary trick, but as the author my assessment of difficulty doesn't mean beans. Enjoy.
Attachments
primed.zip
(11.18 KiB) Downloaded 607 times
LMH

Postby SuperMat » 20 Jan 2012, 19:28

Hi everybody,

attached is my new SuperTux level called
"I lost things".

Have a lot of fun with it!

Best regards

SuperMat
Attachments
ilostthings.zip
(1.51 KiB) Downloaded 585 times
SuperMat

Postby ctdabomb » 20 Jan 2012, 20:57

Nice level SuperMat. It's a bit short, but fun.
ctdabomb

Postby ctdabomb » 21 Jan 2012, 17:21

Any more levels? you still have 6 days left!
ctdabomb

Postby ctdabomb » 27 Jan 2012, 21:33

Voting is now open!
ctdabomb

Postby LMH » 28 Jan 2012, 01:36

Isn't there 5 entries- what about "I lost things"?
LMH

Postby ctdabomb » 29 Jan 2012, 22:53

WHOOPS! i forgot that one, sorry,
ctdabomb

Postby LMH » 02 Feb 2012, 09:08

Alright, here are all the entries of the contest on one worldmap. I designed the map to be expandable for future contests and used some elements that might make it more interesting. It's a standard add-on package, so just drop the zip file in the "supertux2" or "data" directory and access through the "Contrib Levels" menu. Hopefully we'll get more participants for the next one.
Attachments
level_contest_2012_JAN.zip
(3.13 MiB) Downloaded 615 times
LMH

Postby GiBy » 15 Feb 2012, 17:18

I've got ideas of levels.... but level editor doesn't work on osx .... since mono has been upgrade to work with quartz, and STE hasn't :(
GiBy

Postby ctdabomb » 15 Feb 2012, 17:20

feel free to share your level ideas.
also, maybe try wine http://www.winehq.org/ to run Supertux?
ctdabomb

Postby Knitter » 15 Feb 2012, 17:30

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:also, maybe try wine http://www.winehq.org/ to run Supertux?

Wine is not really an option in OS X, it doesn't work well enough without much effort, and the problem here is that the editor has a dependency that makes no sense in the current version of Mono.

Still, one could try to add the gtk dependency using macports but I haven't tried it yet, it was on my "Next thing to test out" list :)
Knitter