How did you discover SuperTuxKart?

Through an application/package manager
26%
Through a third-party website (including search engines)
48%
Through a blog/forum
13%
Through a friend
6%
Other
6%

Total votes : 31

Postby Arthur » 14 Dec 2009, 23:41

I've always wondered how people got into STK in the first place, so I've created a poll with (hopefully) the most common ways. Feel free to elaborate on the subject as well.

Personally I didn't try SuperTuxKart just by chance. I discovered TuxKart before that, back in them days while I was browsing for games through the Synaptic package manager in Debian. I don't remember the exact version of TuxKart, but it was either the last version or the second last I believe. Because there seemed to be so few non-violent Linux games that weren't puzzle games, I played it quite a lot. Another reason was that I had a graphics card without good OpenGL support, so TORCS wasn't playable at all while TuxKart ran okay (except for the occasional blinking textures). I kinda miss those days. :P

Anyway, when my brother a good while later told me there was a successor to TuxKart I just had to try it. SuperTuxKart 0.3 was better in several ways, though the slow-down when going off track was really brutal. I learned to stay away from the borders pretty fast. ;) I got really hooked on it, at least as hooked as I used to be on TuxKart. Around that time I started to realize SuperTux was basically dead, so I started to follow SuperTuxKart as well. I joined the mailing-list and quickly became the most annoying person because I never went away, though I had nothing but my own opinions to add. :mrgreen: Oh, I did one more thing (which I still do): I started to test the subversions and gave feedback and crash reports.

Fast forwarding to this date, I've had the privilege of having two musical pieces in the game (one is still there), maintaining the blog, and getting to know the developers and the rest of the community quite well I'd say. Unfortunately I haven't had much to add to the game and community content-wise, but I hope I'm making a little difference altogether. :)

So please tell me, what's your story regarding SuperTuxKart?
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Re: How did you discover SuperTuxKart?

Postby qubodup » 14 Dec 2009, 23:56

I have known STK for a while, I either learned through FreeGamer about it or by searching for games on SourceForge.net. I only started playing/enjoying it about a year ago thanks to updated content (and controls as well I believe). Not sure what made me try it again, probably Charlie's positive words about a new release. :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Auria » 15 Dec 2009, 00:08

I vote for "I don't even remember" :D
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Arthur » 15 Dec 2009, 00:49

Auria {l Wrote}:I vote for "I don't even remember" :D

Oops, I knew I forgot something! :mrgreen:
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby stked » 15 Dec 2009, 01:53

It all started when my dad installed Fedora Core 5 on my computer. Being curious as I am, I was looking through the games repository. All it took was some looking around and I wound up here. :D I hope I'm pulling my weight with this project.
Gaming with Netbooks blog
gamingwithnetbooks.blogspot.com

STK editor website
stked.webs.com
stked

Postby sj04736 » 15 Dec 2009, 04:42

I discovered TuxKart back in the days after its final release, but before SuperTuxKart gained much of the unique content it has today. If I recall correctly, it was way back on FC1 that I found TuxKart, but after my first trials of Linux, and returning to Windows, I didn't give it a second thought until I moved to SuSE 9.x I think. Might have been 10.x. Anyway, at that time, I found SuperTuxKart, and found that it was a great improvement over the original. It wasn't 'til a few months before 0.5 was released that I joined the mailing list and started loitering in the IRC channel :lol: Since then, I've provided some bug reports now and again, and as a simple exercise to learn Blender, I created the Mystery Island track that you may remember from the 0.6 Add-on Pack. BTW now I live on Ubuntu :)

These days, I usually hang out in the IRC channel, and keep an eye out for the latest developments, test the Irrlicht branch, report major bugs that have not shown up in SVN commit logs, and I have been working on a new track, but lately I've been too busy to do much of anything.
Stephen
Role: STK-Addons Developer

sj04736

Postby hiker » 15 Dec 2009, 05:59

I found TuxKart installed as part of my Suse installation. But I got somewhat annoyed by the fact that the red herrings were good, and the green ones bad. Not reading the manual and just playing was a highly frustrating experience :) Also the cheating AI didn't make it much fun. But I was intrigued enough to google it, and found the (abandoned) SuperTuxKart branch from the Game of the Month.

Since the screeenshots looked rather nice, and the main problem (besides bugs) was the performance, I decided to have a look at that and give something back to the community (I work professionally in performance optimisations). But somehow I got hooked on, and am still working on STK with a laptop on the train on my way to and from work :)

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Sebert » 15 Dec 2009, 09:37

I found it after I stumbled over MarioKartSource, and thought "Those games are fun".
And after a short intermezzo with CocotoKart which sucks due to the lack of tracks I finally landed @STK, which keeps me hooked ever since.
Sebert

Postby krozzie » 15 Dec 2009, 15:26

STK what a great game!
I was looking for freeware/open source games to install on customers computers. Came across this gem :D

This game requires minimal graphics card performance, it's cross platform & works well on old pcs. Works great even on my 16mb onboard video work server (Running Ubuntu 9.10 distro)

As for my testing goes, the stable release works great on all windows platforms xp to 7 (customers pcs). Wishing there were more Linux machine in my workshop :cry:

Keep up the good work guys, Love to contribute some feedback to the variety of platforms and machines that come through.
krozzie

Postby acme_pjz » 15 Dec 2009, 15:31

Through SourceForge.net ... that time I'm looking for some interesting car racing game. The first game I downloaded is not a good one, the car is easily out of control, and the game has a lot of bugs ... so I deleted it. The second game I downloaded is SuperTuxKart :D
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby Skorpio » 15 Dec 2009, 21:04

I saw STK on German television. It was only visible for a few seconds, but that was enough to awaken my interest. :) You can still watch the video on YouTube. (~4:20) BTW you can also see qubodup in this video. :D
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby ProtoSphere » 23 Dec 2009, 00:12

I found SuperTuxKart on Google while looking for some open source games featuring tux. That was back in the days of 0.5...
ProtoSphere

Postby Arthur » 23 Dec 2009, 16:20

Thanks for all the votes and great replies, keep 'em coming! :D
Arthur

Postby vjuk » 10 Jan 2010, 14:29

i found it when it was stil 0.4 :)
vjuk

Postby p98 » 12 Jan 2010, 22:28

I searched for good games at SourceForge and I found SuperTuxKart (v. 0.3)
p98

Postby DarkBaboon » 21 Jan 2010, 01:10

I simply discover SuperTuxKart on JeuxLibres.net a Free and Open Source games directory in French language.
Join us and/or follow me if you dare to come on Identica!
DarkBaboon

Postby charlie » 21 Jan 2010, 02:35

I searched deep within my soul and came up empty handed. Disconsolate, I set upon an epic journey of self discovery. I travelled across countries and continents, through rain and wind and snow and sunshine. I climbed mountains, explored forests, traversed great rivers and fields of corn. Eventually I stumbled upon a quaint cottage, smoke puffing out of it's chimney, and an unfamiliar aroma coming through it's window. Curious, I knocked. There was no answer at first, so I knocked harder. A deep voice rumbled from within the building, "It's open." Nervously, I slowly opened the door, it's creaking hinges resisting. The hallway was dark, but there was the ambient flickering glow of a fireplace from an adjacent room. I cautiously entered, fearful of the unknown. Besides the fireplace there was an old mage sat in a rocking chair, swaying back and forth. My hands trembling, I dug deep and asked, "Old mage, why do I feel so hollow." He frowned, his nostrils flared, and he muttered, "Come closer." I moved closer still, unsure of what he wanted from me. Suddenly he grabbed me by my collar, his wrinkled eyelids flashed wide open and his furrowed brow twitching in pain. "BOY! WHY? WHY HAVEN'T YOU PLAYED SUPERTUXKART!?" He let go and settled back into his chair exhaling slowly. "Leave me now." And I left, and returned home, and I played SuperTuxKart.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 21 Jan 2010, 08:13

:? :D :D :lol:
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Arthur » 22 Jan 2010, 23:36

charlie: Epic story, bro! :lol:
Arthur

Postby Impboy » 23 Jan 2010, 02:57

I discovered STK on a Youtube let's play video. :)
Impboy

Postby Varivar » 23 Jan 2010, 19:49

I discovered Supertuxkart 1-2 years ago. I installed Ubuntu on my system and was looking in the repo for games. So I found Supertuxkart. Version 0.5 was just released at that moment. I'm not using Linux anymore (don't ask me why), but I'm still playing (and contributing to) Supertuxkart.
Varivar

Postby COOLTUX345 » 25 Jan 2010, 19:29

I heard about it from a friend and tried it. I really liked it.
Windows rocks and Linux stinks, but Tux is still cool!
COOLTUX345