STK Contributor's Welcome and Guide

STK Contributor's Welcome and Guide

Postby Auria » 18 Dec 2009, 03:20

Welcome and thank you for joining the SuperTuxKart community.

Before you create or contribute anything for SuperTuxKart, you should read the official documentation available for your type of contribution. For your convenience, the guideline articles along with a brief summary of some of the content within are listed below. However, reading all the relevant documentation is strongly recommended!

General
ToDo
Milestones
Long term ideas

Artwork/3D Modeling/Audio

Licensing Information
Not very exciting, but if you don't consider this information, anything you make we will be unable to use for STK. This is a must-read if you don't want to waste time making art we will be unable to use legally

Visual Art Style Guidelines
The SuperTuxKart environment is generally meant to be light and/or colorful and/or comic-like. Avoid using textures where you can easily see the tiling/repetitions and easy-to-spot repeating patterns. Try to keep an appropriate balance between high-poly and low-poly (see Making kart tutorial for details about karts). Also avoid very (and even moderately) steep slopes, as physics will have trouble with them.

For the main-package: karts should relate to a certain open-source mascot. Keep roughly the same size as the Tux kart (to be friendly with the physics engine; especially avoid making it thin and tall). We cannot accept tracks with unclear licensing terms (or textures not clearly licensed). Our license of choice is Creative-Commons-By-SA 3+. Please don't request us to add your track in the main package; first of all this is impolite, and second we will come to you when there is high-quality work :) But let not the main package be your only goal, sharing with the community is great too!

Music should be in ogg/vorbis (.ogg) format, and try to keep the music file size under 2-3 megabytes. We want most music to be light-hearted, but it is required that the music isn't 'aggressive'. Sound effects should be provided in some lossless format (e.g. wave) - we will convert them to ogg[/list]

Artwork/3D Modeling/Audio
Making tracks (for STK 0.7.3)
Making karts (for STK 0.7)

Programming
Source control
  • Subscribe to the stk-development list (see Community).
  • Do your best to write portable code.
  • Commit frequently.
  • Test your commits.
Coding Style Guidelines
  • 4 spaces, no tabs for layout.
  • Both the opening and the closing braces should be on a line of their own.
  • In header files try to align declaration and definitions in columns.
  • Start with private declarations, then the public ones.
  • Use Doxygen comments.

Translating
Translating STK

This overview does not contain every section, and should therefore not be used as sole reference. It can work as an introduction to the documentation at the SuperTuxKart wiki, but may not be sufficient in any other way. Please read more at the wiki before making contributions.
Auria
STK Moderator

Re: STK Contributor's Welcome and Guide

Postby rudy85 » 28 Aug 2010, 18:19

I want to add a way to do about doing 3d especially about making tracks

1 Please start to open a New topic
2 Propose a description of the concept and a global plan
3 Everybody can participate to find links to 3D models in relation with track theme
4 Making a topview of track an shortcuts (way and curves)
5 Doing it in 3D ( only the base track , drivelines ...)
6 Tests
7 Improving track

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please moderate me
If not ,If you think it's a good idea write it to wiki
STK 3D animation
My work is under the licence you want
rudy85

Postby 3dwarehouse » 04 Apr 2011, 16:33

?
STK Rocks!!!
Also anything I make is under the any licence you want : CC_by_sa GPL public_domain
3dwarehouse

Postby eiji_11 » 16 Apr 2011, 10:54

can someone at least make a video tutorial in making tracks and karts for blender 2.57?
eiji_11

Postby Auria » 16 Apr 2011, 16:16

eiji_11 {l Wrote}:can someone at least make a video tutorial in making tracks and karts for blender 2.57?

Not yet, because we currently don't support Blender 2.5.x
When blender 2.5 is supported, making a video tutorial could be an interesting thing to do
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Kinsu » 16 Apr 2011, 20:15

I am improving the kart making tutorial (based on blender 2.49 but as I don't talk of technical details I think it'll be OK for the 2.5), it will be done next week if I have the time to finalize it. I think most of STK's contributors work on STK on their free time and maybe video tutorials are not the first thing they want to do (this rather a low priority task compared to everything else that needs to be done :) ). Though, if you think a video tutorial is necessary and have the time to do it, it would be very welcome :)
Kinsu

Postby eiji_11 » 17 Apr 2011, 02:14

well, yeah. it's not that important compared to other things. but the process of making it (using 2.49b) is confusing for someone who uses the traditional materials, though. I was like, "where did my eye textures go?". figured it out, anyways.

I haven't tried making a track and I guess that would be much confusing...

but I really think video tutorials would be a good way to promote STK. good job with the game anyways!
eiji_11

Postby ctdabomb » 04 Jan 2012, 18:35

if there is anyway I can help i would like to. I do modeling and stuff like that. I am not not the best, but I will try my best.
Thanks for making such a great game,
CT. da'Bomb
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby RaceAce » 22 Jul 2012, 12:23

Um, I feel really stupid asking this, but how do I create a new topic? I can't seem to find a button or anything. ;(
Bananas are yummy
RaceAce

Postby Wolfs » 22 Jul 2012, 13:17

RaceAce {l Wrote}:Um, I feel really stupid asking this, but how do I create a new topic? I can't seem to find a button or anything. ;(

Go to this page: viewforum.php?f=16. Then you click on either "STK General" or "STK Contributions", depending on where you want to post the topic. On these pages is a link called "Post a new topic" near the top.
Wolfs

Postby RaceAce » 22 Jul 2012, 13:23

Wolfs {l Wrote}:Go to this page: viewforum.php?f=16. Then you click on either "STK General" or "STK Contributions", depending on where you want to post the topic. On these pages is a link called "Post a new topic" near the top.

Ah, thank you!
Bananas are yummy
RaceAce

Postby QwertyChouskie » 21 Feb 2017, 01:10

Links still point to supertuxkart.sourceforge.net.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie