WTF Game - Roguelike / Base building game

WTF Game - Roguelike / Base building game

Postby dracflamloc » 02 Mar 2010, 21:54

WTF Game
http://code.google.com/p/wtfgame/

Its goal is to be a basebuilding game crossed with a roguelike. It could really use some attention and another developer or two. Preview builds are available for windows and linux. Check it out =) I'd love some comments.

Also, I could use some help with the programming, since I don't have a ton of time to work on it on a regular basis I haven't made some of the features/tweaks I wanted to. Same goes for content (tile types, special weapons, etc). Its easy to develop because its 99% written in javascript.

Edit: Also, this game has many graphics sets. Traditional ASCII-based, basic tiles, detailed tiles, and isometric tiles.

Controls:
Arrows: Move player
Numbers (1-9): Press once to view favorite coordinate, twice to set new fav coord
S: Show stats
D: Defend
G: Grab item/monster/etc
B: Mark area as your 'base' (AI will bring items they find to their nearest base)
N: Unmark area as 'base'
A: Attack in last moved direction
M: Mine resource in the last moved direction
V: View description of item/tile in the last moved direction
U: Use item/equip weapon in the last moved direction, or attempt to train AI
C: Construct/combine, attempts to build with current item, or combine with grabbed item

I'll be hanging out in #wtfgame on freenode if anyone wants to chat in realtime.

Thanks,
Drac
Last edited by dracflamloc on 02 Mar 2010, 23:27, edited 3 times in total.
dracflamloc

Re: WTF Game - Roguelike / Base building game

Postby qubodup » 02 Mar 2010, 23:04

Looks good. I'll just take the freedom of including an image :)

Is this intended as a clone of dwarf fortress (I only heard much about DF, never played it)?

What dose wtf stand for? West Tower Fortress?

May I ask what your source of graphic resources is?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby dracflamloc » 02 Mar 2010, 23:13

The source of the graphics is either myself, or in most cases, public domain tiles from around the net. (see http://code.google.com/p/wtfgame/source ... se/CREDITS)

Wtf stands for "What the frig?". The name may eventually change, but who knows.

I was inspired to create this game after seeing a coworker playing dwarf fortress actually, however it is not intended to be a clone in any way. It may share certain general aspects such as building a base, and having AI helpers but its heart and core is meant to be a roguelike (One of my ToDo items is to make it turn based, not realtime.)

It does have a basic farming system, as well as item combinations, etc. I definitely need to make a gameplay tutorial at some point so the various features don't go unnoticed. One unique aspect is that there is no tradition HP/Max HP. You can gain as much HP as you are able to find resources to boost it.
dracflamloc

Postby qubodup » 02 Mar 2010, 23:34

dracflamloc {l Wrote}:The source of the graphics is either myself, or in most cases, public domain tiles from around the net. (see http://code.google.com/p/wtfgame/source ... se/CREDITS)

That's an awesome list of freely licensed resources! I added a comment about one unclarity to the google code page.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby ghoulsblade » 03 Mar 2010, 00:27

looks cool =)
but javascript ? meh...
maybe interesting graphics & conceptwise : http://code.google.com/p/stonesense/
ghoulsblade
Global Moderator

Postby dracflamloc » 03 Mar 2010, 00:38

Nothing wrong with javascript, when used correctly and for the right reasons. The reason I chose it was primarily due to the large number of developers that know it. I knew I wouldn't be able to be the only developer on it if I wanted it to continue to progress, and the amount of skilled C/C++ coders available for projects like this is extremely low.
dracflamloc

Postby dracflamloc » 03 Mar 2010, 05:18

Just figured I'd add in, I've just implemented a basic fog of war system, and an optional turn-based gameplay system to be closer to rogue-like games.
dracflamloc