Sound Effects: New and Better

Sound Effects: New and Better

Postby qubodup » 19 Jul 2011, 17:23

Dave, who recently gave permission to use some of his Freesound-submissions under cc-by-sa offered his help at finding/making sounds.

Everybody - especially the art lead of STK - please compile a list of sounds that you are not happy with and sounds that are missing. I would like to send Dave a list today or tomorrow. (Take a look at suggested swatter sounds and my crash collision suggestion)

Unhappy:
  1. Race start countdown (bad attempt at replacing here)
  2. Bubblegum "too liquid(?)" (bubblegum is a trap: you put bubblegum on the floor - it slows down karts that drive through it)
  3. Collect item/nitro (we replaced that sound lately for legal reasons but the new one is not fitting [compare old ogg to new ogg ]

New needed:
  1. Skid on grass, sand and dirt
  2. Nitro (boost-speedup while pressing key and having enough fuel) sound (LOOPING)
  3. Slipstream (If you stay behind an enemy kart for a while, you get a boost - could sound linke strong wind for example - see this thread for discussion - could wind from OGA be used?) (LOOPING)
  4. Slipstream charge (we could use a sound for not only the slipstream boost but also the slipstream charging, which is where you try to stick behind an enemy for ~4 seconds)
  5. "Feature unlocked" (In the game you can complete challenges and then you get a new feature presented in a short "treasure chest unlocked" animation - could be a short song/fanfare..)
  6. "Bubblegum dropped" (so far we use the same sound for placing a bubblegum trap and for driving into one)
  7. Reset button (When a kart falls down a pit, a 3d button with the tag "Reset" appears above the kart and has a "pressed" animation - reference to computer reset buttons)
  8. Plunger hits target (The plunger allows to attach to a foe's kart or to block their view when shot backwards - there is only a 'shoot' sound but no 'plunger hit wall or kart' sound)
  9. Bounce sound for new rubber ball

Here's a Video of the 'place' of some of these sounds

PS: I cross-posted something like this thread on
Freesound.org
Moosader (for OpenArt)
OpenGameArt.org
qubodup
Global Moderator

Re: Unhappy with Sound Effects?

Postby hikari.to.yami » 19 Jul 2011, 18:33

Whoa, nice timing.

we need the sound for slipstream and nitro, some idea about how the sound should be can be read here
hikari.to.yami

Postby qubodup » 19 Jul 2011, 23:42

hikari.to.yami {l Wrote}:we need the sound for slipstream and nitro, some idea about how the sound should be can be read here

Thanks for comment and link!
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Arthur » 19 Jul 2011, 23:55

I've said it before to you on IRC, but I'll say it again: I'm very glad someone is taking this up, as I do play with sound and care about the game's audio ambiance, but never found the motivation to do anything serious about it. So a big thank you. :)
On a related note, some sounds could be better balanced against each other - e.g. the current zipper sound is pretty high compared to the rest. So doing something about that would be good as well. ;)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby qubodup » 20 Jul 2011, 00:13

Arthur {l Wrote}:On a related note, some sounds could be better balanced against each other - e.g. the current zipper sound is pretty high compared to the rest.

Do you mean in volume? ("The zipper sound is much louder than the other sounds")? Or are you talking about pitch? Or is something wrong with the sound itself?

Volume of individual sounds should be controllable via source code/config files I think. I could help write an explanation how to test different volumes, but I'm not confident at evaluating/deciding what is best.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Arthur » 20 Jul 2011, 00:28

Well, for that sound I think both volume and pitch plays a role. The pitch fits the sound well, but since it's a bit high, it sounds louder than the others.

And indeed, the volume of individual sounds is controllable via a config file. The problem is balancing them against each other (same goes for the music).
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Kinsu » 20 Jul 2011, 03:32

The bubble gum sound :
1. Much too liquid I think
2. Could have 2 different sounds, the first when dropping it, the second when being affected by it.

Also, the new race beginning and race ending musics (maybe different sounds for losing / winning endings could be added).
Kinsu

Postby qubodup » 20 Jul 2011, 03:52

Kinsu {l Wrote}:The bubble gum sound :
1. Much too liquid I think
2. Could have 2 different sounds, the first when dropping it, the second when being affected by it.

Added, agreed about #2.
Kinsu {l Wrote}:Also, the new race beginning and race ending musics (maybe different sounds for losing / winning endings could be added).

Are you playing latest SVN? There is a short "race starting music". Or are you saying it should be replaced?
I think there is some music at the end. Not sure if it is win/lose-depending.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Kinsu » 20 Jul 2011, 05:22

I'm playing 0.7.2.
qubodup {l Wrote}:There is a short "race starting music".

Yes, I like this one, sorry I was mistaken.

qudobup {l Wrote}:I think there is some music at the end. Not sure if it is win/lose-depending.

I'm talking about this. In the end of a race, you have a little "ta da ta da daaaah !". This one could be declined in 2 versions (1 for losing, 1 for winning), as it is not now.
Then comes a little tune, when the final scores are displayed I think it could be improved / replaced (and also declined in 2 versions :p).
Kinsu

Postby qubodup » 20 Jul 2011, 12:51

kinsu: this seems more like a 'music' task, so I'll leave it off the list, ok?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Kinsu » 20 Jul 2011, 16:51

Alright, I understand ^^
Kinsu

Postby qubodup » 24 Jul 2011, 23:11

I made a video showing the 'place' of the sounds in this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7jAk-dPIC4
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Kinsu » 30 Jul 2011, 18:26

Good sum up :)
I've just thought of a collection of sounds that REALLY needs to be improved : kart engines !

It would be great to have 3 different sounds, for the future differenciation : heavy engine, medium one, light one.

This would definitely change STK's racing ambiance !
Kinsu

Postby Iridium » 30 Jul 2011, 18:33

Kinsu {l Wrote}:Good sum up :)
I've just thought of a collection of sounds that REALLY needs to be improved : kart engines !

It would be great to have 3 different sounds, for the future differenciation : heavy engine, medium one, light one.

This would definitely change STK's racing ambiance !

I do very much agree.

There's an exotic car dealership near me - maybe I could use their facilities? ;) Dunno, I'll try my best.
Iridium

Postby qubodup » 06 Aug 2011, 15:52

Here's another attempt at replacing the countdown:

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvLlkYZI_UE

DL: http://opengameart.org/content/countdown

Sound from NAEV.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Auria » 06 Aug 2011, 19:31

qubodup, IMO they still sound too electronic
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby qubodup » 15 Aug 2011, 22:19

qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby shazzner » 15 Aug 2011, 22:32

I forget which one it is, but that 'slide-whistle' sound drives me absolutely nuts. I hear it all the time in low-quality games as a cheap schlocky sound effect. I know it sound stupid but it really brings down the quality.
shazzner

Postby Auria » 16 Aug 2011, 01:34

shazzner, I'm not sure which one you mean, sorry

qubodup: the rubber ball sound is not too bad (though I also like http://soundbible.com/789-Cartoon-Walking.html ), I;m very unconvinced of the splatter one however, I think we could do something better with http://soundbible.com/1375-Whip-Crack.html (please ignore what this sound actually is, in context it will sound like a splatter :P)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby qubodup » 16 Aug 2011, 02:06

shazzner: the skid sound right? when you make sharp turns?

I'm getting sick of it lately :) Pretty hard to find/make a replacement unfortunately.

Auria: so we need to test them in-game. :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Arthur » 16 Aug 2011, 02:15

I suggest stealing some from http://supertux.lethargik.org/viewvc/vi ... ta/sounds/
For example, jump.wav for the rubber ball bounce, and shoot.wav for the swatter.
Arthur

Postby shazzner » 16 Aug 2011, 03:45

Auria {l Wrote}:shazzner, I'm not sure which one you mean, sorry
I played it a bit to see where it shows up. It's reused, but the sound when you pick a kart is the one I'm talking about. Like a high-pitched 'whoosh'. Doesn't help that is sounds much louder than the music.
shazzner

Postby Kinsu » 16 Aug 2011, 03:53

I very much agree with Auria for the whip sound. With it, swattering opponent will just be great :) "Fschplaachhh ! hahahaha" :lol:

I don't get what the rubber band will be for in the game... the start countdown ? If yes, I think it would be too... twisted ^^
Kinsu

Postby hiker » 16 Aug 2011, 04:08

Kinsu {l Wrote}:I don't get what the rubber band will be for in the game... the start countdown ? If yes, I think it would be too... twisted ^^

The rubber ball (not band) ;)

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Kinsu » 16 Aug 2011, 09:38

hiker {l Wrote}:The rubber ball (not band) ;)

Woops, you're right :lol:

I'm still not sure about what event would trigger this sound in STK...
Kinsu