Design theme for factions

Design theme for factions

Postby svenskmand » 22 Feb 2010, 20:07

Regarding the factions I think we should hold a discussion about what visual style we are going after for each faction/race, such that everybody which are making models can try and obey these design rules. Thereby giving a nicer and coherent looking creatures/rooms.

These thinks could be:
    * Materials the rooms are made from, or are used in the creatures cloting etc.
    * Which tactics they favor - stealthy, aggressive, likes to play they enemies out against each other, etc.
    * Concept art of rooms, creatures, traps, etc.
    * Ressource collection and building
Some of these points are covered in the wiki in the backstory section. So far only AndrewBuck, Bodsda and I have been writing on it, but these choices are so central for the game that everybody having interrest in the project should give their opinion.

The for example the Constructs, I imagine them as very proud, almost fanatically, righteous magical robots. Which have an very similar appearance as the "Golden Army"-robots from Hellboy 2, see this
and this
But it appears that others think of them as cyborgs, judging from some of the entries in the wiki.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Re: Design theme for factions

Postby Bodsda » 22 Feb 2010, 22:34

Assuming a cyborg resembles a Terminator or a Borg, this goes against the background story. The constructs are a mechanical race brought to life by a magic heart stone. The golden army hold most of this true, they are mechanical, they are magical and they have a central core. A terminator is mechanical, has a core (nuclear power cells) but is not magical. A borg is sort of mechanical and not much else, therefore does not meet the requirements.

When I wrote the back story for the constructs I did imagine them like the units from the golden army. Unless someone else can come up with an image of a mechanical, magical creature with a central core then I think we should continue with the golden army approach.

Bodsda
Bodsda
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 22 Feb 2010, 23:34

Bodsda {l Wrote}:I think we should continue with the golden army approach.

Bodsda

Me too. Just notice it when browsing the wiki, and I wanted to hear peoples opinion
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 23 Feb 2010, 19:07

Here's my construct prototype. It is equipped with two plasma guns and short range missile launchers. Perhaps I'll add a flame thrower.

Mech2.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 23 Feb 2010, 22:50

Skorpio {l Wrote}:Here's my construct prototype. It is equipped with two plasma guns and short range missile launchers. Perhaps I'll add a flame thrower.
Mech2.jpg

Heh very funny ;), but nice though. What is it really for?

svenskmand {l Wrote}:... But it appears that others think of them as cyborgs, judging from some of the entries in the wiki.

Here I was specifically thinking of this wiki entry: Hybrid. But for the backstory to hold I think we need to rethink all the creatures of the Constructs faction.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 24 Feb 2010, 00:28

Skorpio {l Wrote}:Here's my construct prototype. It is equipped with two plasma guns and short range missile launchers. Perhaps I'll add a flame thrower.

Mech2.jpg
:o
<3 <3 <3

(Did I mention that I love mechs [to be precise, playing mw3, not mechs themselves]?)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 24 Feb 2010, 18:58

Aha, cool. I'm an old Battletech/Mechwarrior veteran, too. ;) But I never played MW 3, although I heard that it's a pretty good part of the series.

I made this mech just for fun and to practice, and actually started working on it long ago. Hopefully I'll sometime be able to produce stuff of the same quality as the Mechwarrior: Living Legends mechs (or better :D ).
Skorpio
OD Moderator