Radakan

Radakan

Postby Taldor » 23 Feb 2010, 13:08

Promotion video

Click on the image above to play the video.

Introduction

Radakan is an open source single-player RPG in a unique dark fantasy-setting. It has been developed for a while and is now getting to a point it needs your help very much to become the game we envisioned it to be.

Radakan is a hard, dangerous world for its inhabitants, and you're just one of them. You never will be the big, bright hero that fights against hordes of creatures in an afternoon. Instead, players have to be careful and aware of the risks they take. Every action can mean the difference between survival and death. You will seldom be forced to fight, but violence will always be an option.

Players should enjoy and explore the world of Radakan. We want an unique setting instead of falling back on fantasy stereotypes. Unique races, vegetation and places should help to make the game feel lively and interesting giving us the opportunity to narrate new complex stories.

From the player perspective, Radakan is a sandbox, where every choice has its consequences. We planned to have multiple main storylines, to allow the player to pick the storyline(s) that suit his character best. This way we won't force players to follow our expectations.

Talent needed

• Concept artists
  • Modelers
  • Python programmers
  • Dialog and story writers

If you want to contribute in another area, feel free to contact us.

We consider long term enthusiasm far more important than the right set of pre-existing skills and hope that you will share this enthusiasm with us.

Licenses

The code is licensed under a modified BSD license, which means Radakan is open source.

Our art is licensed under the free CC-BY-SA license.

Radakan is and will be free to play, to share, and to modify.

Technology

Radakan is implemented in Python. It is platform independent, because we only use portable libraries.

The Radakan uses Panda3D as its 3D engine.

Website

Team

The current team took over Radakan in December 2008 and partially restarted the project. The biggest change was the programming language switch to Python.

The Radakan team is -intentionally- very loosely structured. We do not require samples of previous work or a fixed weekly amount of time spent working on Radakan.

I(Taldor) am the lead developer and currently the only programmer.

Contact

We prefer to communicate using IRC. You can find us in the #Radakan channel at freenode.net.

If you don't have an IRC client, we recommend using the Freenode web-IRC client.

Of course you can also make a post on our forums.

Screenshot

Demonstration video

Click on the image above to play the video.

Art examples

Thanks to Radakan's long history, we already have some content to show to you:

Audio examples

Concept art

In case the images below are considered to large, please let me know.

Models

Feedback

Any feedback would be highly appreciated, be it praise, criticism or questions.
Last edited by Taldor on 17 Dec 2010, 14:33, edited 7 times in total.
Taldor

Re: Radakan

Postby charlie » 23 Feb 2010, 13:23

At the moment it is a little tough to discern any status other than it being in prototype stage? Is this correct?

Is there a roadmap? A plan for a next release?

My own definition of a healthy roadmap is a breakdown of tasks/features (or meta-features) for the short term (next release), medium term (subsequent releases), and long term (version 1.0).
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Taldor » 23 Feb 2010, 13:31

I'd call the current state of Radakan 'pre-alpha'. I'm planning to make a 0.1.0 release soon.

You can find a list of issues, split by milestone, here.
Taldor

Postby Bios Element » 24 Feb 2010, 04:16

Looks pretty awesome. Although I wonder if you might make more progress starting with an existing project like Syntensity. From there you can have more of a focus on the game itself rather then the engine so much. ^_^ Just a thought, keep up the great work regardless.
Bios Element

Postby adrix89 » 24 Feb 2010, 20:40

Seems there not multiplayer oriented but Syntensity might be a good idea even so
Also I'm not sure if they like JavaScript that much as it states that current development in python
Also they seem to have a solid engine
adrix89

Postby Taldor » 24 Feb 2010, 21:16

Bios Element {l Wrote}:Looks pretty awesome. Although I wonder if you might make more progress starting with an existing project like Syntensity. From there you can have more of a focus on the game itself rather then the engine so much. ^_^ Just a thought, keep up the great work regardless.

I don't know Syntensity very well, but I have the impression that Syntensity doesn't offer more functionality than Panda3D (3D engine, 2D gui, user input handling and sound). As adrix89 said, Radakan is not a multiplayer game. And I prefer programming in Python, rather than programming in JavaScript.
Taldor

Postby adrix89 » 24 Feb 2010, 21:56

It does offer in terms of rapid development as you can edit maps in game although in your case you seems to go on the height map terrain path and also by using the v8 engine you can test code by just restarting map
Although there is no current gui system
Also with addition of bullet it should be more other mesh collision friendly for exported meshes
Anyways seems like you already have a good engine so might as well go with that but do keep an eye as it might surprise you
adrix89

Postby Bios Element » 24 Feb 2010, 22:04

Taldor {l Wrote}:
Bios Element {l Wrote}:Looks pretty awesome. Although I wonder if you might make more progress starting with an existing project like Syntensity. From there you can have more of a focus on the game itself rather then the engine so much. ^_^ Just a thought, keep up the great work regardless.

I don't know Syntensity very well, but I have the impression that Syntensity doesn't offer more functionality than Panda3D (3D engine, 2D gui, user input handling and sound). As adrix89 said, Radakan is not a multiplayer game. And I prefer programming in Python, rather than programming in JavaScript.

Aye, it's just a thought. But your impression about Syntensity is a tad off I think. It's more a full game platform then anything else. From what I gather Panda3D is a tad more general (Although an awesome platform no doubt.) This project reminds me the rpg projects that a few groups started working on for sauerbraten and stopped. (I think due to the semi-poor scripting for sauerbraten although don't quote me.) I figure with the addition of an inventory menu and 'items' you would have a good step-up from where you are without much effort. As for python, I recall talking to kripken about the scripting and he's already going to look into C++ bindings for scripting and I don't see why python couldn't be used as well since he's already using it for extending on the cube2(sauerbraten) engine.

But regardless guys, Keep up the great work. I'd love to see a good RPG come to the table. :D
Bios Element

Postby adrix89 » 25 Feb 2010, 05:50

He will not use it for scripting
Python isn't sandboxable like JavaScript so it can do all sorts of nasty things to your PC
adrix89

Postby Taldor » 26 Mar 2010, 01:22

Check out our new demonstration video!
Taldor

Postby Taldor » 05 May 2010, 04:07

Radakan 0.1.0 is released and can be downloaded at SourceForge.

Feedback is highly appreciated. :-)
Taldor

Postby charlie » 05 May 2010, 11:27

New features?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Taldor » 05 May 2010, 12:39

charlie {l Wrote}:New features?

The previous release of Radakan is text-based and over a year old. So, yes, a lot.

Compared to the latest demonstration video:
  • Added point of view configuration: "I place a knife in my backpack." vs. "You place a knife in your backpack." vs. "Taldor places a knife in Taldor's backpack."
  • Added a more NPC conversation content.
  • Improved the frame rate.
  • Added an inventory with drag and drop.
  • Made the mouse and keyboard handling more logical. See the instructions.html file for the details.
  • Made the HUD nicer and more logical.
  • Added various configuration options. Some can be configured using the configuration screen, for more options see client.cfg (buried in the radakan directory in your personal application files).
  • Fixed various bugs and added some new ones. ;-)
Taldor