Doom3 stand alone TC base; community project

Doom3 stand alone TC base; community project

Postby Julius » 12 Aug 2011, 11:50

With the upcoming Doom3/id tech 4 source release it might be nice if we could prepare a bit and make a nice community project in order to repackage the source with a base set of art and tools.

The set should probably include (additional ideas are welcome):

- The source code and some documentation (well duh ;) )
- A read-me advertising this forum and with other relevant links
- Some basic id tech 4 editing tutorials (and links to other/video tutorials)
- Tools:
- Dark Radiant (precompiled for different platforms: http://darkradiant.sourceforge.net/ )
- md5 (and iqm as soon as that is implemented) importers & exporters for Blender and other 3D apps
- a file with links to convenient 2d and 3d tools like Blender and Gimp etc.
- Art assets:
- Example map all set up for easy Dark Radiant testing
- A set of typical textures (with normal and spec maps) ---> can probably be taken from games like Xonotic or RE
- A blender rig with animations for a typical FPS game all set up for easy export into the game (again either from RE or Xonotic I would say)
- A set of additional shaders? (needs to be researched)
- Some typical map models (stones, trees, boxes, door frames etc... there are some good ones on OGA)
- 1st person weapon animations? (including a standard hand mesh?)
- A vehicle set up? (supported in doom 3) not a full car, but a physics set up and ready made wheels etc.
- A base mesh for humanoid player models?
Edit:
-Sounds:
- typical weapon sounds (some quite ok ones on OGA AFAIK, otherwise Xonotic/RE?)
- map ambient sounds (maybe OGA?)
- misc sounds (gui, menu etc.)
- some ambient music?
- radio commands? (maybe from RE?)

License wise it should be strongly copyleft to ensure that teams basing their work on this have to go the full FOSS route ;)
Optimally all dual licensed GPLv2+ and CC-by-SA, but I think some of the assets that we should use are not dual licensed but a mix of both :-/ Xonotic is all GPL while RE is all CC-by-SA AFAIK, not sure about some of the OGA stuff.
We have to see if we do a compromise and mix licenses, or if we can get all the stuff dual licensed.

What do you think? Might be a really good way to promote FOSS game dev in the modding community!
Last edited by Julius on 16 Aug 2011, 02:28, edited 2 times in total.
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Doom3 stand alone TC base; community project

Postby Julius » 12 Aug 2011, 11:53

As a start:

Basically all the stuff from yughues on OGA should be included:
http://opengameart.org/users/yughues
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby shazzner » 13 Aug 2011, 00:02

Yep, I think this is a fantastic idea. I think we should also consider some software like makeHuman:
http://www.makehuman.org/
Which can export to blender.

Basically we need a start to end asset pipeline, some base code to get a mod/standalone app up and running asap, and a way to easily distribute your app through various channels (Ubuntu software center, desura, steam, etc).

I also think there should be a small app that lets you browse OGA and download stuff directly into your game project. I'll be on OGA's irc channel later if you want to discuss this. :)
shazzner

Postby Julius » 13 Aug 2011, 02:13

Not to derail this but makehuman is a nice toy... but not suited at game-dev at all :p
Oh and the small app to browse OGA and lets you download stuff right into your project... it's called a browser and it is installed on your PC already :p :p :p

But I am glad you like the idea :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby shazzner » 13 Aug 2011, 03:52

Yes well, I disagree with you on makeHuman. By default it comes with a low-poly mesh, high-poly mesh, rigging, and cloth generation you can easily export to blender and generate normal maps with. When it comes to adding characters to a game, this saves months of time. There are still a few bugs to be worked out, but it makes an excellent tool to quickly add humanoid models to a game, and it's being developed at a rapid pace.

The browser idea is mostly so it'll automate things like assets lists, place assets in the correct folder according to structure, etc. It removes another layer of complex and steers others away from legally encumbered assets. A huge part of having quick and friendly development is removing bad choices, which was the point of Ubuntu's Quickly project.
shazzner

Postby Julius » 16 Aug 2011, 02:27

added sounds to the list :)

Concerning Makehuman... well feel free to show me that it is possible to do good game-models with it and I will be convinced :p
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 17 Aug 2011, 23:48

Ok... as this is supposed to be a community project... lets talk about division of work:

1. we need someone to collect level textures and map-models of a certain quality and a consistent art style (I started with the stuff from Yughues, which needs to be cleaned up and sorted a bit, but it makes for a good base; btw I confirmed with the author that indeed all of it is CC0, contrary to what it says in some of the readmes) (Status: started by me)

2. Someone to work on the player animations: I am currently thinking about taking the animations from another FOSS game as a base and transfer them to an better rig (with facial and finger animation etc. support and improve the animation quality a bit and so on), but just taking the animations directly and prepare them for the pack would probably be sufficient for version 0.1 (Status: brainstormed by me, not started. I have a improved rig I still plan to finish... old versions can be found on OGA)

3. Someone needs to think about 1st person weapon and hand models as well as animations for it. However only a animated weapon is fine in many games too. Maybe one of the high quality weapons from Xonotic would be great as a placeholder. (Status: not started, looking for volunteer, I have a rather high quality hand mesh, albeit not UV mapped)

4. Someone needs to make a nice collection of sounds and ambient music with an consistent style and various options. I had a quick look at OGA's sound resources and there seems to be quite a bit of "good enough" to "nice" stuff. Probably needs to be normalized etc... but I am not really an audio guy, so support of that side would be really apprechiated. (Status: skilled volunteer really needed)

5. Someone needs to collect and "stream-line" a set of id-tech 4 tutorials for inclusion in the pack. This is a non-artist, non coder task so I expect a lot of volunteers here :p (Status: volunteer needed) (Note: Authors need to be contacted and asked for license agreement, or tutorials need to be "rewritten")

6. Someone needs to combine and arrange a nice set to tools to include (see 1st post) and test it in detail. See #5 for skill level required ;) (Status: volunteer needed, set of tools proposed in 1st post)

The other thing:

License... as much as I hate to get down to this... but we probably have to choose between the GPL or CC-By-SA as a license as it seems there is a considerable amount of good usable art that is either the one or the other (and sadly not dual licensed). So as this two licenses are incompatible even though very similar in intend, we will have to choose one or the other.

Right now I am tending towards the CC-By-SA as this seems to open up more potential content and is also easier to "sell" to artists (so it is a purely pragmatic choice).

What I don't like is that it closes all of the Xonotic art by default (which is only GPL). But someone would need to investigate if not some of the Xonotic stuff is actually dual licensed, or if we can contact the artists of the stuff we want to use and get a new license for it.

So do we agree on this, e.g. that the final compilation will be CC-by-SA?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 26 Aug 2011, 22:36

Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 02 Sep 2011, 01:57

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a

There seems to be some interest and contributions from the Doom3world community also, looks great so far.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 02 Sep 2011, 02:59

Repository created:
http://sourceforge.net/p/artbaseidtech4/

If you want to contribute, send me your sf.net account and I will give your write permission to the svn also.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby oln » 23 Nov 2011, 00:17

oln

Postby Julius » 23 Nov 2011, 00:42

Yes... but I somewhat lost interest in woking on this base... maybe if some people join.
It's quite boring work however, and right now I think I should not have uploaded more than a gig of uncompressed textures to it as that is rather too much :-/

Maybe it would make sense to seperate it as a base pack and several themed texture packs... hmmm.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Tranberry » 23 Nov 2011, 02:45

It's sad that I can't play FPS games at all.. otherwise I would chip in and help.
I agree with Q until I post differently.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby DangerOnTheRanger » 23 Nov 2011, 06:20

Tranberry {l Wrote}:It's sad that I can't play FPS games at all.. otherwise I would chip in and help.

Why not?
DangerOnTheRanger

Postby Tranberry » 24 Nov 2011, 23:04

motion sickness, feels like I spam the world with that. So my interest in helping with FPS games are limited. So why won't you delve into this?
I agree with Q until I post differently.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby Knitter » 24 Nov 2011, 23:29

Sorry for diverging a bit from the topic, but how hard would it be to use this engine to create a FPS in the style of Counter-Strike instead of the usual UT/Quake style?

On the topic, is anyone interested in working on another FPS using this engine, I mean, how many more FPS can one take :)
Knitter

Postby Julius » 24 Nov 2011, 23:41

As much work as it is to create a Counter-strike like game... the engine is sure capable of it (and not the worst choice).

Regarding you other question... there are already a few former mod projects (aspiring to become stand alone) one could join... "the dark mod" for example... check the doom3world forums for that. Soo... if your remark was merely sarcastic... my answer is that there is no need to start another one :p
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Knitter » 25 Nov 2011, 00:06

Not being sarcastic :)

Really wandering if, with so many projects and some very good, if another one even if based on a new(er) engine would be used/played since there are many out there, and I'm talking about the topic here.
Knitter

Postby Cire » 26 Nov 2011, 11:58

I might just be missing something, but the art-base project on SF.net seems empty?
Cire

Postby Julius » 27 Nov 2011, 01:10

ahh yes... I am wondering about that too... something is strange about that.
I can access the svn via a svn client just fine, but it doesn't show up on the sf.net page :-/
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby andrewj » 27 Nov 2011, 06:54

Trying to check it out with the link on SourceForge, and I get an empty repository.

But this works:

svn checkout http://artbaseidtech4.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/artbaseidtech

Maybe sourceforge assumes everything is in a 'trunk' folder, which is often the case with SVN repositories but it is not compulsory.
andrewj

Postby Cire » 28 Nov 2011, 23:30

I tried running the Doom 3 Engine with the free assets instead of the Commercial but I get the error message "_default material not found". What file(s) is it missing?
Cire

Postby Julius » 29 Nov 2011, 03:50

Many are still missing... it's far from complete.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby qubodup » 29 Nov 2011, 12:32

have you contacted developers of the http://www.iodoom3.org/ project about collaboration?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 29 Nov 2011, 15:12

Honestly... Right now I think this project needs a refocus (gives me a lesson about planning beforehand)... and since my time of forced unemployment is coming to an end this Thursday, I have my doubts that I can contribute to this project significantly in the next weeks (not that I did much more than collecting stuff and writing material definition files so far).
Julius
Community Moderator