Mod Idea - Team Fortress

Mod Idea - Team Fortress

Postby John_III » 30 May 2011, 19:22

After playing generous amounts of TF2 over the past few weeks, I had an idea. It would be neat to create a mod for RE that incorporated TF-like gameplay.

Player classes would be based on the current weapon classes

Ex.

Scout gets pistol and sword
Soldier gets rocket launcher, albeit a weaker version
Sniper gets rifle
Pyro gets the flamer
Engineer gets the shotgun
Heavy gets SMG, but the bullets would inflict more damage than they do now

Other key ideas:

Holding each weapon would give certain traits to players -

•Scouts are the only class with impulse jump, and have faster run speed - lower health
•Pyros are resistant to burn damage
•Heavies move slower than all the other classes, have more health
•Engineers would be able to place sentry turrets - RE already has AI turrets -> Would also be able to place some sort of ammo replenishing device - could work similar to capture mode bases in Sauerbraten
•Players would not be able to pick up other weapons, only choose from class loadout

I can start looking around in the RE code to see how this can be done.
John_III

Re: Mod Idea - Team Fortress

Postby Kitsune » 30 May 2011, 20:42

I'd be willing to help, but first things first, before we start working on the class system code which i can probably do, we need to make some of the best maps, like 2fort. I would love to see a TFC remake in RE. however thats TFC not TF2.
Kitsune

Postby John_III » 30 May 2011, 21:14

I can remake TFC's 2fort. I actually started a remake of TF2's version a while ago, so I may be able to tweak it so it is like 2fort from TFC.

I can also model any required items, eg. dispensers.
John_III

Postby Julius » 31 May 2011, 17:14

How about instead of just cloning one of the many versions of TF, why not make a re-implementation with new classes? I think a down to the "core" version with a single flag "street" CTF would be probably much better then just a TF clone.

With street CFT I mean this:
"Street CTF" like street basketball in the sense that you play with only one flag and one goal, used by both teams, and the color of the flag changes if you go outside the core area, or when you hold the flag for a longer time. Advantage over regular CTF. Faster gameplay, smaller and non symetric maps, and probably playable with less people. Perfect for LAN-parties I presume.

With down to the core I mean:
3 classes only: 1) high HP, slow and with a lot of firepower (mix out of heavy, grenadier, solider) 2) low HP, fast, low firepower (scout/spy mix) 3) support, medium speed and HP (engi, flamer, medic mix)
Those pretty much cover all the classes and would give the old TF a new twist (besides making it much quicker to implement)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby John_III » 31 May 2011, 20:28

Concept for a dispenser I have been working on.

I also have the main layout of 2fort mostly constructed.
Attachments
Picture 428.png
Last edited by John_III on 31 May 2011, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
John_III

Postby Kitsune » 31 May 2011, 20:49

Julius {l Wrote}:How about instead of just cloning one of the many versions of TF, why not make a re-implementation with new classes? I think a down to the "core" version with a single flag "street" CTF would be probably much better then just a TF clone.

With street CFT I mean this:
"Street CTF" like street basketball in the sense that you play with only one flag and one goal, used by both teams, and the color of the flag changes if you go outside the core area, or when you hold the flag for a longer time. Advantage over regular CTF. Faster gameplay, smaller and non symetric maps, and probably playable with less people. Perfect for LAN-parties I presume.

With down to the core I mean:
3 classes only: 1) high HP, slow and with a lot of firepower (mix out of heavy, grenadier, solider) 2) low HP, fast, low firepower (scout/spy mix) 3) support, medium speed and HP (engi, flamer, medic mix)
Those pretty much cover all the classes and would give the old TF a new twist (besides making it much quicker to implement)

i'm down for that.

i've been working on a class menu using the code for the Arena Mutator as a base, but only the first wep i set for the class works, and 2nd is random. i'll report back on that thou.
Kitsune

Postby Julius » 01 Jun 2011, 08:20

Cool, count me in on the team then if we follow that idea. I still have some rather cool half finished player-models on my hard-drive at home which I could modify to the RE animations quickly I think. Just texturing might take a bit longer (no UV map yet, and no high poly to make a normal map with).

The main problem is that do to my current location I can't access those and also have no time to work on it for the next 4 weeks (but after that I will be unemployed/on holidays for a few weeks so I will have plenty of time to work on it).

Hmm one remark however... with the street CTF it makes less sense to have stationary defense like the turret from the engineer, so we probably have to think of something else or leave that out completely.

Edit: The dispenser looks nice, but some parts are too high poly and the overall art direction is a bit too close to TF2 I think.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Friedslick6 » 02 Jun 2011, 04:42

In any case, a Red Eclipse remake of 2fort would be awesome. I was planning on doing the same using some 3D Ripper DX rips as a base to build around.
Can't wait to see your map, John_III.
Friedslick6

Postby Kitsune » 02 Jun 2011, 15:30

its easier to just decompile the .bsp to .map and load it into valve hammer editor or gtk radiant and run it in windowed mode along with RE and just reposition the 3d camera on GTK acording to your location in RE. Not to mention 3D Ripper produces .fbx with .dds textures so you'd have to import it into any Maya compatible modeler or 3D Studio and convvert it there.
Kitsune

Postby sireus » 02 Jun 2011, 16:19

... and maybe it's also not a good idea to copy a map 1:1 from a commercial game... Some studios/publishers don't mind, but others do.
sireus

Postby Kitsune » 02 Jun 2011, 18:42

TF started on Quake which is now opensource, it was copied to begin with, and many other games have 2fort remakes.
Kitsune

Postby Skorpio » 03 Jun 2011, 11:19

I'd really like to see a TF mod, too, especially the control points modes would be cool. I mean the modes where you have to conquer one point after the other and get a new spawn when you've secured one, and the attack/defend mode. Also payload would be nice.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Kitsune » 03 Jun 2011, 18:49

// sv_spawnrotate 2 // spawn point rotation; 0 = let client decide, 1 = sequence, 2 = random
semi-lets you choose your spawn point, althou terribly as ya can't see what one your going to.
So realy we just need to add a spawnpoint gui to DTF and Classes to Arena, figured out my problem sorta, still not working yet but i have an idea.
Kitsune

Postby Friedslick6 » 04 Jun 2011, 06:27

Kitsune {l Wrote}:its easier to just decompile the .bsp to .map and load it into valve hammer editor or gtk radiant and run it in windowed mode along with RE and just reposition the 3d camera on GTK acording to your location in RE. Not to mention 3D Ripper produces .fbx with .dds textures so you'd have to import it into any Maya compatible modeler or 3D Studio and convvert it there.

Sounds like a plan. If no replica is made, I'll see to it perhaps...
Friedslick6

Postby John_III » 04 Jun 2011, 16:14

I have the actual map geometry mostly complete, however I still need to construct the flag room and add in the detail geometry. Then I will texture and light it.
Attachments
dispenserrender.png
2fortprev.png
John_III

Postby Kitsune » 04 Jun 2011, 16:17

Looks very nice. Can't wait to see it fully textured. althou the walls had a more plastered look than brick as did the floor concrete. but no compliants it looks good.
Kitsune

Postby qreeves » 05 Jun 2011, 07:50

I'd like to implement this as a mutator in the main branch some time in the near future. The arena mutator and many weapons are half inspired by TF2 already. I just don't have the time right at this very moment to go ahead and implement a complicated system.

There's been certain ideas floating around already regarding having certain weapons bestow certain abilities, and I think combining that with this is the best approach to it. Flesh out the ideas regarding stats/abilities/rules a bit more and I'll check back in.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Kitsune » 05 Jun 2011, 08:01

well i'm already working on it. and i think i figured out my problem, is there a way thou to change the allowed weps for arena?
Kitsune

Postby fawstoar » 05 Jun 2011, 15:25

Guys, this looks amazing. As an avid player of both Red Eclipse and TF2, this could be extremely fun.
-Wasabi
Map flythroughs, RE trailers, etc: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL67578B2BCD99FB7B
fawstoar

Postby qreeves » 06 Jun 2011, 11:58

Kitsune {l Wrote}:is there a way thou to change the allowed weps for arena?

If your aim at this point is to enable the grenades and/or rocket launcher in your loadouts, then no, that is not available as they are considered to always be spawnable "super" items.

Personally, I think if we implement this in the main branch, we shouldn't look to directly clone TF2. What makes some of the best ideas in Red Eclipse so great is that they take something and put a new or different spin on it. We should create classes more applicable to the gameplay (and items) we already have. Sure, we can add some stuff so we can have medics, etc. But the main thing I want to get across here is that we should express some individuality and make this our own Fortress-ish mod that kicks ass. (plus, the last thing you want is for this great idea to be crushed by a lawsuit from Valve {hail, mighty overlords *whimper*} lol)
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Kitsune » 07 Jun 2011, 01:08

We wouldn't be cloning TF2, we'd be cloning QuakeTF/TFC which doesn't fall under the same rights as TF2/FortressForever. But I do agree that we should add our own spin on it.

I've found out that there is a way to change the allowed weps, but it requires a recompile which i can't do as i can't get gcc to work for me and msVS08 give tons of errors, and programmers notepad/devkitpro has gcc but not g++.
Kitsune

Postby qreeves » 08 Jun 2011, 09:00

Okay, so I got the first part of the structure in place for this idea down in r2644 as the "league" mutator. As with any new idea it is subject to change as we go.

The basics have been taken from the arena mutator, but I've limited it to only selecting the primary weapon plus a pistol. The weapons you can choose have been expanded to allow all weapons, and basically you will choose your class by selecting your primary weapon. I'm not really sure how to go about selecting stats for these things, so I've just set up some really crude settings for the moment.

I guess at this point, for the very least, I'll need to add some sort of healing and building weapons. These will probably become part of the standard weapon set too (I'll think about their non-league attributes later). So, I guess the question is, what are the immediate things we need to work on?
qreeves

Postby Julius » 08 Jun 2011, 15:46

1. Class based parameters.. e.g. health, movement speed, special movement skills (maybe only the speed class would have the RE jet-pack/double jump skill?), different player-models fixed to classes, more different grenade options (see team fortress classic).
2. game modes: control point mode, single flag/street CTF mode (with a "switch sides" radius like in basketball... e.g. run outside of parameter and flag switches color, parameter different for each map, and maybe also a timer... hold flag for 3 minutes undisturbed, flag switches to your color or so).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Kitsune » 09 Jun 2011, 04:35

For selecting stats and such we could work with doing a check for haswep # then do if haswep # give these stats, or something similar, i'll update mysvn so i can work with the league mutator instead of arena for coging the class gui.
Kitsune

Postby John_III » 09 Jun 2011, 23:21

Underground water pipe area
Attachments
subterranean.png
John_III