Linux packages for MeAndMyShadow

Linux packages for MeAndMyShadow

Postby Edward_Lii » 22 Apr 2011, 14:58

Hello all,

I started packaging MeAndMyShadow using the openSUSE Build Service.
Remember that these packages contain a development version of MeAndMyShadow.
So they could contain bugs or incomplete/unreachable levels!
To run meandmyshadow after installing a package you need to run this command from terminal:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
cd /usr/share/meandmyshadow/ && meandmyshadow

Packaged for:
There are packages for the following distros:
openSUSE: 11.2, 11.3, 11.4 (both 32-bit and 64-bit)
Fedora: 12, 13, 14 (both 32-bit and 64-bit)
Debian: 5.0, 6.0 (both 32-bit and 64-bit)
Mandriva: 2009.1, 2010, 2010.1 (both 32-bit and 64-bit)
Ubuntu: 8.04, 9.04, 9.10 (both 32-bit and 64-bit)

openSUSE:
openSUSE users can add my home repository and install the meandmyshadow package.
To do this start YaST->Software->Software Repositories and click on add.
Select the option "Specify URL..." and click on next, enter a name and this url:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Edward_Iii/openSUSE_11.4/
If you run an older version of openSUSE you just have to replace the 11.4 in the URL with your version.

Fedora:
Fedora user can add my home repository: http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Edward_Iii/Fedora_14/
And then install the package called meandmyshadow, for any other version than 14 replace the 14 in the url with the version you're running.
These packages haven't been tested so they could be broken.

Other RPM based distros:
There are no specially build packages for the other distros but there's a good chance that the openSUSE packages will work.
Just head over to this url http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/Edward_Iii/openSUSE_11.4/ and click on either i586 (32-bit) or x86_64 (64-bit).
You'll see a package named meandmyshadow-0.1.1-xx.x.{i586, x86_64}.rpm, download it and install it like you would with any other RPM.

TODO:
    * Add an .desktop file for both GNOME and KDE.
    * Build RPMs for other distros.
    * Make an .deb package.

Any feedback is welcome! ;)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Re: Linux packages for MeAndMyShadow

Postby MCMic » 22 Apr 2011, 16:56

As soon as the cmake contains install directions, I'll make an aur package for ArchLinux.

(cause it's *really* simple, check that out : http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/divid ... d/PKGBUILD something like 10 lines of config, 4 lines of compiling code.)
MCMic

Postby Edward_Lii » 22 Apr 2011, 17:29

Hello MCMic,

MCMic {l Wrote}:As soon as the cmake contains install directions, I'll make an aur package for ArchLinux.

(cause it's *really* simple, check that out : http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/divid ... d/PKGBUILD something like 10 lines of config, 4 lines of compiling code.)

The install directions have been added in the latest svn revision.

That look really simple! :o
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 22 Apr 2011, 17:42

Hi,

I just upload some new code in SVN which allows configurable data path ... I don't know it will work well under Linux, so please test it ;)
Some of my open source games on GitHub
acme_pjz

Postby MCMic » 22 Apr 2011, 18:01

You forgot to put the cmake in this archive : http://sourceforge.net/projects/meandmy ... z/download
I need both sources and the cmake in order to do the aur package.
MCMic

Postby MCMic » 22 Apr 2011, 18:26

The make install works, but the levels for the game are a mess, they are big and complicated, you should put back the originals levels, and put the complicated stuff after. (the ten first levels should be simple)
MCMic

Postby acme_pjz » 23 Apr 2011, 05:50

MCMic {l Wrote}:You forgot to put the cmake in this archive : http://sourceforge.net/projects/meandmy ... z/download

cmake file is not in archive, but in SVN: http://meandmyshadow.svn.sourceforge.net/

MCMic {l Wrote}:The make install works, but the levels for the game are a mess, they are big and complicated, you should put back the originals levels, and put the complicated stuff after. (the ten first levels should be simple)

I'm sorry, but the first 3 levels are for test only :| ... the fourth level is the original level ...
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 23 Apr 2011, 06:41

Hello all,

MCMic {l Wrote}:The make install works, but the levels for the game are a mess, they are big and complicated, you should put back the originals levels, and put the complicated stuff after. (the ten first levels should be simple)

These packages aren't for releasing yet, it's just to test packaging that when we're going to release a new version we can easily package it.
And yes the levels aren't in a correct order, the first ones are just for testing.

I've created RPM packages for fedora 12, 13, 14 (both 32-bit and 64-bit).
I couldn't test them though.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby MCMic » 23 Apr 2011, 15:00

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:
MCMic {l Wrote}:You forgot to put the cmake in this archive : http://sourceforge.net/projects/meandmy ... z/download

cmake file is not in archive, but in SVN: http://meandmyshadow.svn.sourceforge.net/

Yeah, I know that, but why? You give the sources to people, give them the way to compile it!
The CMakeLists.txt file should be in the archive.
MCMic

Postby Edward_Lii » 23 Apr 2011, 15:13

Hello MCMic,

MCMic {l Wrote}:Yeah, I know that, but why? You give the sources to people, give them the way to compile it!
The CMakeLists.txt file should be in the archive.

This is just the way it was when it went open source.
But you're right, why not add it, I'll see what I can do.

Edit: I just saw that the src archive contained a Makefile so people can compile it.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Edward_Lii » 23 Apr 2011, 16:43

Hello all,

There are now packages for Mandriva 2009.1, 2010, 2010.1 (both 32-bit and 64-bit).
Also started on some .deb packages for Debian and Ubuntu.
Debian 5.0 and 6.0 (both 32-bit and 64-bit) and Ubuntu 8.04, 9.04, 9.10 (both 32-bit and 64-bit).
I'm having some trouble with the newer Ubuntu version (10.04, 10.10) I'll try my best to get packages for them as well.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby MCMic » 23 Apr 2011, 17:06

Oh, so the archive is an old version.

Could you do a new release? That would help me create a package. I can of course do a package that takes the svn code, but maybe some day the svn won't work, so I'd prefer a release package.
MCMic

Postby acme_pjz » 24 Apr 2011, 17:16

I agreed that maybe we should have a new minor release (say 0.1.1 ;) )
acme_pjz

Postby acme_pjz » 25 Apr 2011, 06:30

I think there is a serious bug if you packaged the game. Currently the game saves the progress in levellist.txt in data folder. If you install the game by package, then the data directory and data files are all read only :| . So we should save the progress and user-made levels in other directory, for example "/home/user-name/.meandmyshadow/" under Linux and "Documents and Settings\user-name\My Documents\My Games\meandmyshadow\" under Windows ...
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 25 Apr 2011, 06:38

Hello all,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:I think there is a serious bug if you packaged the game. Currently the game saves the progress in levellist.txt in data folder. If you install the game by package, then the data directory and data files are all read only :| . So we should save the progress and user-made levels in other directory, for example "/home/user-name/.meandmyshadow/" under Linux and "Documents and Settings\user-name\My Documents\My Games\meandmyshadow\" under Windows ...

Yeah, your right, this will most likely cause problems.

Edit: We should retrieve the home folder dynamically, not sure how it's done in C++.
In Java you can retrieve some System properties and one of them is user.home.

MCMic {l Wrote}:Could you do a new release? That would help me create a package. I can of course do a package that takes the svn code, but maybe some day the svn won't work, so I'd prefer a release package.

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:I agreed that maybe we should have a new minor release (say 0.1.1 ;) )

OK, but we should remove the first three test levels before releasing.
The new release will only contain a few updated graphics, bug fixes and some performance improvements. :)
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 25 Apr 2011, 08:10

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Hello all,

Yeah, your right, this will most likely cause problems.

Edit: We should retrieve the home folder dynamically, not sure how it's done in C++.
In Java you can retrieve some System properties and one of them is user.home.

I have submitted a new version in SVN, it works correctly under Windows, so please test if it works correctly under Linux :) ...

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:OK, but we should remove the first three test levels before releasing.

Just remove them from levellist.txt, but not delete them :)
Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:The new release will only contain a few updated graphics, bug fixes and some performance improvements. :)

The most exciting feature is a lot of new block types :D So now we should encourage people to design some new levels ...
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 25 Apr 2011, 08:22

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:I have submitted a new version in SVN, it works correctly under Windows, so please test if it works correctly under Linux :) ...

It seems to work correct. :)

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Just remove them from levellist.txt, but not delete them :)

Ok, I'll will do that, I'll create a meandmyshadow-0.1.1.tar.gz package.
Can you make an package for Windows?
acme_pjz {l Wrote}:The most exciting feature is a lot of new block types :D So now we should encourage people to design some new levels ...

Do you think we should already advertise and promote meandmyshadow with this release?
Or should we wait till it's a bit further containing a them manager, more levels, etc...
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby Edward_Lii » 25 Apr 2011, 09:02

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:The most exciting feature is a lot of new block types :D So now we should encourage people to design some new levels ...

There's only one problem, where should the levels be saved, currently that's in the data/level directory.
But when it's installed you don't have the rights to write there, this is quite a problem since the leveleditor is just one click away from the end user.

I think we should place the user made levels inside his /home/<user>/.meandmyshadow folder and somehow let him play his levels in a different way.
Maybe a separate button in the levelselect?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 25 Apr 2011, 09:23

Hi,

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Ok, I'll will do that, I'll create a meandmyshadow-0.1.1.tar.gz package.
Can you make an package for Windows?

Sure. I have made a 7z package, but I don't know where can I upload it? :|

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:

Do you think we should already advertise and promote meandmyshadow with this release?
Or should we wait till it's a bit further containing a them manager, more levels, etc...

IMHO just release 0.1.1 and mentioned it on the wiki page and encourages everyone to create new levels :)

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:There's only one problem, where should the levels be saved, currently that's in the data/level directory.
But when it's installed you don't have the rights to write there, this is quite a problem since the leveleditor is just one click away from the end user.

I think we should place the user made levels inside his /home/<user>/.meandmyshadow folder and somehow let him play his levels in a different way.
Maybe a separate button in the levelselect?

I'm sorry that I have a mistake in last SVN version :( (can't load level in uset folder correctly) it's fixed in newest version, now level editor can open/save levels in data/level (it's OK under Windows, but it's read-only under Linux) as well as levels in user directory (if level name starts with "./", a bad idea) ...

Currently user-made levels can only be played in level editor (of course you can put your levels to data/level folder and edit levellist.txt) but it's enough that people can upload some levels to this forum :)
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 25 Apr 2011, 11:03

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:Sure. I have made a 7z package, but I don't know where can I upload it? :|

You somehow hadn't had the permission to release files.
But now you can upload it, just login to sourceforge and click on Files there you'll see a folder named 0.1.1.
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 25 Apr 2011, 13:32

I'm sorry, but I still can't find "Upload" button on "Files" tab :| ...
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 25 Apr 2011, 13:51

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:I'm sorry, but I still can't find "Upload" button on "Files" tab :| ...

There should be an Add File button.
Follow this link, make sure you're logged-in and click on Add File: https://sourceforge.net/projects/meandmyshadow/files/0.1.1/
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 25 Apr 2011, 14:26

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:I'm sorry, but I still can't find "Upload" button on "Files" tab :| ...

There should be an Add File button.
Follow this link, make sure you're logged-in and click on Add File: https://sourceforge.net/projects/meandmyshadow/files/0.1.1/

No, I still can't find Add File button :? Maybe I still don't have "release technician" permission ... By the way, where can I see my permissions in SourceForge?

So I put the file here ...
Attachments
meandmyshadow-0.1.1-win32.7z
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 339 times
acme_pjz

Postby Edward_Lii » 25 Apr 2011, 14:47

Hello acme_pjz,

acme_pjz {l Wrote}:No, I still can't find Add File button :? Maybe I still don't have "release technician" permission ... By the way, where can I see my permissions in SourceForge?

So I put the file here ...

You should be able to do it now, maybe it takes a while before the changes apply?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby acme_pjz » 25 Apr 2011, 15:37

Edward_Lii {l Wrote}:You should be able to do it now, maybe it takes a while before the changes apply?

OK, now I can upload files, but the network is too slow :( ... Could you please help me to upload the attachment file to SourceForge?
acme_pjz