MiniMap

Re: MiniMap

Postby oln » 19 Apr 2011, 17:29

Agreed. Let's go with the pixels for 0.4.8, and in the next releases we should focus on improving playability, once the refactoring is finished. (E.g multiplayer)
oln

Postby svenskmand » 19 Apr 2011, 17:29

Yes of course, that is a good idea. But as long as what will be done can be reused later. I think it is a bad idea to have a pixbuf that you change individual pixels in yourself :S that is definitely not the way forward, there must be something made for this already.

Edit: forums are bad for fast conversations, hence the misplacement of this post :) Did you check out overlays?

oln {l Wrote}:Agreed. Let's go with the pixels for 0.4.8, and in the next releases we should focus on improving playability, once the refactoring is finished. (E.g multiplayer)

Yes sounds like a good idea :) But can you reuse the pixel code when we want the complex thingy?
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 19 Apr 2011, 17:36

Yes, Overlays were one alternative I was thinking about. But they need a lot more coding to get done. And I'm not sure how the overlays can be integrated with CEGUI, didn't found something about that (that's why I did not use them for now).

Well, we can also skip the minimap for 0.4.8 completly (only a single code line needs to be commented out) and target a complex and working one for a later release.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 19 Apr 2011, 17:43

You decide, but as I said we can just release 0.4.8 now and then release 0.4.9 when you get the gui working :)

I think the important part is that the basic code for the mini-map is has the fundamentals of the code right, i.e. we use the correct parts of ogre/cegui and not some half cooked solution, which we then trash for something completely different later.

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:Yes, Overlays were one alternative I was thinking about. But they need a lot more coding to get done. And I'm not sure how the overlays can be integrated with CEGUI, didn't found something about that (that's why I did not use them for now).

You can try and make an overlay and get it to display some png and then see if it looks okay with cegui. If they are rendered in the correct order, and cegui does not blow up I guess it is fine? We just need the scene, then overlay then cegui. Do you know how cegui is implemented is it also using overlays?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 19 Apr 2011, 17:54

I just commented out the minimap, then we'll definitly release without it for now.

I will get all possibilities a more indepth look after the release and then decide (again :D ).
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 19 Apr 2011, 18:47

Ok sounds good :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator