GUI

Re: GUI

Postby andrewbuck » 11 Mar 2011, 14:43

The start button can be called whatever you want. I used host because that is the terminal command that you run to do it. Also, pressing this button starts not only the game, but it also starts server socket listeners and other things to enable client computers to connect to yours and join your game. The name should reflect this since the way the engine works, starting any game means starting a multiplayer game that you are hosting yourself. We also need to have a "connect" button which does what the connect command on the terminal does, i.e. connect to a server who is already running a game.

The multiplayer is mostly functional right now, the goal is to have it fully functional by the next release since it shouldn't be too much more work anyway.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Dakal » 12 Mar 2011, 02:36

Hi all,

I made a little GUI for my game project, it's not finish and it does'nt really fit with the OD style but i think you can pick some parts in the xcf and modify it. Licence: CC BY SA

Spells icon by : http://www.jwbjerk.com/art/main.php
http://opengameart.org/content/painterl ... ons-part-1
Attachments
interface_1024.png
preview
interface_1024.xcf
Interface 1024 but 800 works
(1004.65 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Dakal

Postby andrewbuck » 12 Mar 2011, 04:00

That looks very nice, it makes very good use of the screenspace. The two square things on the side could be used to switch what is displayed in the three squares on that side. So, for example the left side could be divided into 4 squares, one each for creatures, combat, rooms, and traps. Depending on what you select you will see different things in the three squares on that side. The right side would work the same; this way you could display any two sets of buttons at a time.

Also, I really like the map shading you used. It would be nice to think of some way to do something like a procedural texture that could be done by the engine to generate the map on the fly to look like that.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 12 Mar 2011, 07:54

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:About the Icon design: I think the icons should be good recognizable pictograms - clean outlined pictures of what is behind the button. Not much of shading, lightning and coloring (max 3 colors I'd say, the colors should be the same for all icons - the silverish in your OD test button looks good).

I would like to have colors on them. But I cannot see how I would color all icons with the same 3 colors. E.g. for the Quarters the icon is a bed, Dojo a training puppet, Forge an anvil and Treasury a goldbag. You cannot color these symbols in a meaningfull way using only the same 3 colors. Unless you just uses 3 shades of the same color.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 12 Mar 2011, 09:39

Ok here is a doll, initial impressions? I am not all that fond about it.

Edit: and a bed, anvil and goldbag. The style i follow is using 3 colors, where one is a silverish outline, and the two others are used to color the object.
Attachments
Start_Host.png
Start_Host.png (39.38 KiB) Viewed 10500 times
Quit.png
Quit.png (49.46 KiB) Viewed 10500 times
TrainingDoll.png
TrainingDoll.png (49.6 KiB) Viewed 10502 times
GoldbagDisabled.png
GoldbagDisabled.png (50.91 KiB) Viewed 10502 times
Bed.png
Bed.png (46.15 KiB) Viewed 10508 times
Anvil.png
Anvil.png (44.67 KiB) Viewed 10509 times
Goldbag.png
Goldbag.png (52.09 KiB) Viewed 10509 times
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Dakal » 12 Mar 2011, 11:15

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:That looks very nice, it makes very good use of the screenspace. The two square things on the side could be used to switch what is displayed in the three squares on that side. So, for example the left side could be divided into 4 squares, one each for creatures, combat, rooms, and traps. Depending on what you select you will see different things in the three squares on that side. The right side would work the same; this way you could display any two sets of buttons at a time.

Also, I really like the map shading you used. It would be nice to think of some way to do something like a procedural texture that could be done by the engine to generate the map on the fly to look like that.

-Buck

The map_exemple is not by me but by the wesnoth project in the login screen. The goal was to show it's a map an not something else. ;)
But i think with time it's not complicated to make.
Dakal

Postby StefanP.MUC » 12 Mar 2011, 11:20

svenskmand, I like the style with the thick border line. Maybe you are right about the coloring, though. Thinking deeper about it, there really shouldn't be a limit to the coloring as you suggest, but when (if) possible the "flashiness" and "rainbowness" should still be kept at a minimum.

edit: The Bed, goldbag and forge buttons are great. But the dojo puppet isn't perfect, I think. People with color blindness (I have a slight red-green weakness) will have a hard time to see the target mark. Maybe it should look more like a scarecrow with a bit more contrast between "skin" color and target mark color.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 12 Mar 2011, 15:20

Ok all the icons for rooms we have are now finished :) What do you think? Stefan: I cannot wait to see these in game :) I will upload them in 60x60 in 2 sec (done).
Attachments
Icons.7z
(17.5 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 12 Mar 2011, 15:37

After checking out the links from Dakal I tried to make a worldmap similar to the one in his links. Here it is, it is just a simple proof of concept, to see if I could do similarly details. The world contour for our world should be different, also I did not add all the mountains and stuff.

We might use the world map to mission selection in the campaign, that would be neat :)
Attachments
WorldMap.png
Proof of concept for doing a world map for OD.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 12 Mar 2011, 16:32

Looks good, But you forgot the cannon. ;)

Just pushed the new buttons to svn, so you can now test them.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 12 Mar 2011, 18:16

I will see if I can get that done tonight.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 14 Mar 2011, 22:39

StefanP.MUC {l Wrote}:Looks good, But you forgot the cannon. ;)

Just pushed the new buttons to svn, so you can now test them.

The svn still has the old buttons :S The correct version is at revision 111. I have now recommited with the correct version of OpenDungeonsIcons.png.

By the way I am having difficulty trying them out since you removed the Media folder, when I copy the gui folder from SVN the game crashes, due to different paths I think :S
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 15 Mar 2011, 00:06

The old buttons probably got changed when I reverted back to fix the media directory.

I will look at the game crash tomorrow, probably just some paths that are not set right.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 15 Mar 2011, 00:17

Ok :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 15 Mar 2011, 08:40

I just checked the svn: The GUIs are correct paths and it works for me on linux.
Maybe you have the problem, I also had yesterday, with the plugins.cfg having the wrong path to the OGRE libs.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 15 Mar 2011, 10:21

I have the 0.4.7 Final installed from the msi package, and tried to delete the gui folder and then copy in the gui folder from the svn, but then the game just crashes :S
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 15 Mar 2011, 10:28

Ah, I see. The svn GUI folder and the git code has the new paths (without "Media/" reference). So the svn won't work currently with 0.4.7. You would need the latest binary (that's why I suggested in the other thread to provide nigthly builds - at least when there are bigger changes).
StefanP.MUC

Postby oln » 15 Mar 2011, 10:37

I was planning to put up some nightly builds, haven't done that as of yet as there hasn't been any large changes.
oln

Postby svenskmand » 28 Mar 2011, 17:58

Here is the cannon.
Attachments
CannonIcon.png
CannonIcon.png (2.73 KiB) Viewed 10355 times
CannonIconShow.png
CannonIconShow.png (47.41 KiB) Viewed 10355 times
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 28 Mar 2011, 19:03

that cannon looks nice, but if you dont add a bit more of detail to the support (like a screw) looks like something totally different :lol:
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 28 Mar 2011, 23:08

How about now? You have a dirty mind :P
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby StefanP.MUC » 29 Mar 2011, 09:01

Added the cannon to the icon palette and pushed to svn.
StefanP.MUC

Postby svenskmand » 16 Apr 2011, 00:04

Okay I have reskinned the GUI, I think it looks much nicer now, I am still missing the gold, mana an territory counters, which should be put in the top left corner, and be small. Also the orange metal thingys in the to and right side needs some work, but the map and panel I consider done, what you think?

I was considering puting a shot of the game underneath to get an impression of how it looks but I would prefer a shot where the old GUI is not visible, is there a way to disable the GUI in the game?
Attachments
GUISketch.png
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 16 Apr 2011, 01:00

Here is the version with some refined metal thingys in the top and right.

Now only counters for gold, mana and territory is missing.
Attachments
GUISketch.png
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 16 Apr 2011, 02:03

Here is the final version with the counters for gold, mana and territory :)
Attachments
GUISketch.png
svenskmand
OD Moderator