Sleeping quarters meshes needed

Sleeping quarters meshes needed

Postby andrewbuck » 22 Nov 2010, 02:23

I was playing around with the level file, adjusting how many HP the creatures had and decided to go through and set different meshes for creatures beds and also different sized areas that they need to place them. This reminded me that we only have one bed mesh for all the creatures and it doesn't make sense for something like the Kreatur to sleep in the bed we are using at the moment. Therefore it would be good to get some placeholder meshes for the beds, even if they aren't great just to occupy the space so we can check that various meshes work as they are supposed to. I also want to start working on code which will keep the creatures from walking through room objects like the forge, the beds, etc, so it will be nice to have meshes to test this. I will list below the creatures it would be nice to have a bed, the size they should occupy, and also some ideas for what I think they could look like. The size of the rooms is given in tiles so a 3x2 would occupy 3x2 tiles in the quarters but the mesh does not need to be this full size (although it should be big enough to visually indicate what tiles it occupies). These meshes should be easier to make than the creature meshes so I might try to knock together some placeholder/concept work for some of these.

Creature Bed_Size Comment
-------------------------------------------------
BigKnight 3x3 This is the mesh for the Knight with the shield that you are supposed to protect, there should only be one (or at most a few) of these. Should be a big fancy bed that a king or lord would sleep in.

Dragon 4x4 The dragon is a powerful creature and will get very big when they gain levels, they should sleep on a big pile of miscellaneous treasure. (I will try to make a model for this tonight).

Knight 2x3 The standard bed that we are using right now. The bed itself is 1x2 meters exactly so putting it in a 2x3 space leaves room in between for the creatures to walk.

Kreature 3x3 or 4x3 Not really sure what this should be but it should also be pretty big since the kreatur could get very big if they level.

Orc 2x3 The orc could sleep on like a straw bed on the ground.

Dwarf 1x2 the dwarf is quite small so it should take little space to sleep. Maybe a smaller version of the standard bed we are using right now.

Another question to be answered is where the beds should be stored in the SVN repo. I am suggesting we do a seperate .blend file in the directory where the creatures mesh is kept (so the dragons bed goes in the same folder as the dragon). We should maybe also put a progress bar into the creature infobox on the wiki for the progress of the creature's bed.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Re: Sleeping quarters meshes needed

Postby Danimal » 30 Nov 2010, 14:19

Hello, i think you are thinking too much on using beds for all creatures, so i propose you use:

-Some kind of royal looking throne for knigths (make a skin variation for barbarian or king)
-Bunks for explorers or lower tier heroes (the one that is a piece of cloth tied to two poles)
-Heart shaped cushion for Maiden or female warriors
-Magical circle for mages, in which they float while sleeping
-A small cushion in front of a stand with a cross, for religious units (make it look like he is kneeled and prying instead of sleeping)
-A bird house in a small tree for wisp (why not? anyways, where the hell does wisps sleep?, maybe a giant mushroom?)
-A chair next to a barrel of beer for dwarfs and guardians(nice for sleeping their hangovers).
-And just for the lulz, a mushroom-house for halflings

Hope that helps, since heroes look like the only faction atm i wont say beds for any of the others, but ask if you feel out of inspiration and ill try to help again.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 30 Nov 2010, 15:19

Yeah, I don't think every creature needs to have their own bed but it would be nice to have a variety as you have suggested. Mostly what I was interested in was making sure that the algorithm which lets creatures find beds worked properly when they are different sizes and shape (it is not an easy problem to solve). I have been able to do this by just using placeholder meshes so this is of a somewhat lower priority now again.

On a related subject, I have the creatures doing a "sleep" action now in the AI routines where they will walk to their bed and then do the Sleep animation. Currently no creatures have this so it would be nice if someone could either implement a simple sleep animation for something so I could test this (the dragon would look pretty cool curled up to sleep). Even if it is not really a sleep animation, just something currently unused which has been renamed to sleep so I can see when the creatures are in that state I would appreciate it.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 25 Feb 2011, 18:50

Now i have more time and came up with some ideas for the beds of the only agreed faction, the undeads.

What do you think?

http://img98.imageshack.us/f/image10yv.jpg/
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 25 Feb 2011, 20:01

Nice stuff. Now you have to design beds for all the other creatures in the list: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1131#p9975

Hahaha. :)

I just don't understand why the explorer sleeps in a big helmet. And what is an explorer? I think I have to read the other thread again. ;)
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 25 Feb 2011, 20:47

Here:

Scout:
- Flying skull (maybe with a spinal cord), not much to say, fast, likes to scout and is a very poor fighter.

Why inside a helmet?, maybe it feels safer in there since its just a skull? :?
It seemed good to me...
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 25 Feb 2011, 21:44

The flying skull, that's an interesting idea. So it would move kind of like a serpent "swimming" through the air or something. I think that could be cool, and it is definitely something that is not just the standard warrior/wizard/goblin genre.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 25 Feb 2011, 23:18

Heh I like the helmet for the flying skull, it is funny as hell :) I think we should have it :)
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 26 Feb 2011, 09:53

Danimal: Love those concepts! Especially the skull, awesome, awesome idea :)
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Danimal » 26 Feb 2011, 14:00

Thanks, if any other race gets final agreement on all its units ill do their beds as well.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 26 Feb 2011, 14:19

Races aren't /that/ important, having good creatures is better imo
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Danimal » 26 Feb 2011, 15:04

I get what you mean, but is hard to focus when you think you want 6 diferent races with over 10+ units each one. Better to focus first on one, get it ready and then starting another.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 26 Feb 2011, 15:45

That's true I guess. Keeping in style is hard. But having beds for models we have is slightly more useful than beds for creatures we don't have
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 26 Feb 2011, 16:46

Even beds for creatures we don't have is useful too though. Beds help set the personality of the creature and give you some idea what kind of theme the thing will end up being. I think they form a useful part of the concept are surrounding the creature and that is not a bad thing. Even having a bed to look at for inspiration when modeling a creature is better than having nothing at all to go by. Also, we would eventually like to have beds for all of the creatures (at least ones that make sense, not necessarily one for every single creature), if at this stage we discover it would be very difficult to choose a bed that would work for a creature we may decide to use that creature as a summon so it doesn't need one instead of making it a normal creature. These issues and others are helped by this early discussion. Not to mention the fact that we came up with a new creature "the flying skull" via this same process.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 27 Feb 2011, 01:10

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Races aren't /that/ important, having good creatures is better imo

I strongly disagree, we end up with the typical Open Source Zoo if we are not very conscious about making each faction by themselves.

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:That's true I guess. Keeping in style is hard. But having beds for models we have is slightly more useful than beds for creatures we don't have

Yes it is very important that each faction have their own unique style, and that we remember this when we design them, IMO.

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:Even beds for creatures we don't have is useful too though. Beds help set the personality of the creature and give you some idea what kind of theme the thing will end up being. I think they form a useful part of the concept are surrounding the creature and that is not a bad thing. Even having a bed to look at for inspiration when modeling a creature is better than having nothing at all to go by. Also, we would eventually like to have beds for all of the creatures (at least ones that make sense, not necessarily one for every single creature), if at this stage we discover it would be very difficult to choose a bed that would work for a creature we may decide to use that creature as a summon so it doesn't need one instead of making it a normal creature. These issues and others are helped by this early discussion. Not to mention the fact that we came up with a new creature "the flying skull" via this same process.

-Buck

Yes the design discussions ARE the most important part, as we can also see in the thread about the Constructs, we have been getting very far in developing traits specific for them, and in nailing down how they should look. I still have some drawing for them which I will scan when I get home to my scanner. It is the scout unit for the constructs.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 27 Feb 2011, 09:01

The reason for the "Open Source Zoo" is pragmatism, not by design. If you design a game sothat it is only playable once you have X amount of models, you place a bottle neck for releases on the art pipeline. But anyhow, seeing as me not being round has caused the design to revert to Svenksmand's, I'll keep out of it
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 27 Feb 2011, 11:19

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:The reason for the "Open Source Zoo" is pragmatism, not by design.

That is my point you loose some important part of the design process when your too pragmatic, and then you often get the open source zoo.

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:If you design a game sothat it is only playable once you have X amount of models, you place a bottle neck for releases on the art pipeline.

We just make one faction at a time, as suggested by Andrew, then we can still test them.

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:But anyhow, seeing as me not being round has caused the design to revert to Svenksmand's, I'll keep out of it

I am only promoting what I think is best for the project, I guess you do the same even though we disagree :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 15 Mar 2011, 01:34

Great, now my concepts are being shown everywhere with a label that says "crap", nice way to promote my portfolio, rigth p0ss?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Art/comments/g0 ... like_foss/

Take a look at this design document from the OpenDungeons project, are you telling me that no artist out there could do better?

You could have at least dropped a word before writing that... i know they are awful but you cant just go and put me on shame all over the net.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 15 Mar 2011, 02:06

Danimal {l Wrote}:Great, now my concepts are being shown everywhere with a label that says "crap", nice way to promote my portfolio, rigth p0ss?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Art/comments/g0 ... like_foss/

Take a look at this design document from the OpenDungeons project, are you telling me that no artist out there could do better?

You could have at least dropped a word before writing that... i know they are awful but you cant just go and put me on shame all over the net, it is still impolite.

First of all p0ss, bad style, you should have asked, even though it is freely available on the net. Secondly Daminal I actually liked your concepts :) Thirdly the concepts from the original DK was no better, see her (the sketches folder), and we all know what a great game DK turned out to be :). And lasty I do not really think it matters if they are good or not, concepts should only convey your idea and nothing more.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 15 Mar 2011, 12:52

Now that's rude. I can get really nasty, if someone mocks about a team member or OD.

Danimal, I like your concepts, too, and I think they're really inspiring. Sure they're rough, but who says that concept art has to be perfect? Everybody can be an artist, don't give up.
Last edited by Skorpio on 17 Mar 2011, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 15 Mar 2011, 15:08

He didn't say it was crap. One could construe it as such, but I think that's exaggerating things to quite an extent. What he meant by the statement is that anyone can contribute, implying that he said "Danimal is a bad artist, look at this!" is overreaction.

That being said, everyone has already said they like your stuff, Danimal. It conveys ideas and that's the entire point of concept art.

Skropio: Turning things into a mud slinging contest isn't going to help either. One cannot always expect criticism to be coated with layers of sugar; fighting with people who offer it is just going to drive contributors away.
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Danimal » 15 Mar 2011, 21:45

Thanks guys, maybe i overeacted, but i felt insulted at the moment, i would have said nothing if he had told me of that use, it was more the unpleasant surprise to find that around rather than the words used. That said Ancientgoat has reason and we are here to try and finish this project not to insult or backstab anyone who wants to contribute. So i think its best to close this bussiness and keep on the game development. Thanks again to you all for showing me support.
Danimal
OD Moderator

Postby p0ss » 17 Mar 2011, 12:34

Danimal, i never meant to insult you. And yes, my work is shit. Thats the point, i was trying to get amazing artists to help out.

I do like your ideas danimal.

I've even begun implementing one of your designs, however, it requires lot of guesswork on my part. If you had the time, it would be awesome to have a front, side and top view of each, to make it easier to turn into a model.

I also edited my reddit post to reflect my intended wording.
p0ss

Postby Skorpio » 17 Mar 2011, 13:46

OK I take my comment back as well. I just wanted to demonstrate how painful mean comments like that can be for an artist. Actually I like that painting. And in my opinion something like "bad art" doesn't exist at all (or all art is crap). :D Ever heard of Artist's shit?

It's extremely discouraging to read such bad things about your own work and this can drive beginners away from painting completely. We have to encourage newcomers and just give them tips, skill comes automatically after some time.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby Danimal » 17 Mar 2011, 14:07

No hard feelings p0ss, i will be pleased to help you in whatever you need and apologize as well.

Skorpio that "Artist´s shit" is just so awesome :lol:
Danimal
OD Moderator