Models on Open Game Art

Models on Open Game Art

Postby andrewbuck » 08 Feb 2011, 06:08

I was browsing through the newly added content on Open Game Art and came across this model of a cemetery which could be useful to OD. Thought I would post a link here for discussion. There are also a couple torture devices: a iron maiden and a knee splitter which would work good in a torture chamber.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Re: Models on Open Game Art

Postby TheAncientGoat » 08 Feb 2011, 14:39

The cemetery set still needs texturing though, and that's rather essential.. But I like the other two :) OGA is hard to keep track of, hehe
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Arcanis » 08 Feb 2011, 17:16

I could rig up a texture for it. that would basically complete the cemetery room.
Arcanis

Postby svenskmand » 20 Feb 2011, 12:40

The coffins would fit nicely I think :), we just need some textures.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby p0ss » 04 Mar 2011, 15:26

I just did some textures for you guys

http://opengameart.org/content/savinos-cemetery-redux
p0ss

Postby StefanP.MUC » 04 Mar 2011, 15:31

Cool, I like it. :) Thanks. :D
StefanP.MUC

Postby andrewbuck » 04 Mar 2011, 16:21

Very nice work p0ss, thats exactly how open source development is supposed to work. Now everyone has a pretty good looking cemetery at their disposal for whatever purposes they should require. :)

One thing I would suggest changing would be that the specular reflectivity looks a bit high when the light hits the objects just right, the blender default for that is pretty high. Also, I see you have done some work on OpenGameArt on the grass textures. If there is a moss texture available it would be cool to add that around the bottoms of the stones, and maybe a bit around the corners on some of the larger objects. This would make it look a lot older.

If you are interested in working on more textures, we have several models that could use better textures. The lizardman is the one that comes to mind at the moment but there are some others which could use improvement too. We don't currently have normal mapping working in the game yet but we are planning on doing it once we figure out exactly how.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby p0ss » 05 Mar 2011, 11:21

I have downloaded your subversion repository and am looking at what can be done with your assets, I'll post back when i have something to show.
p0ss

Postby andrewbuck » 05 Mar 2011, 15:05

Cool. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 05 Mar 2011, 16:00

Hey p0ss welcome to the forum. Please tell us on what you're working, because we have to make sure that we don't work on the same model or texture simultaneously. I'm currently working on the high poly lizardman and will also paint a texture for him. BTW a lot of the creatures still need high poly versions for normal map baking, and the diffuse textures should fit to the normal maps, so maybe we have to change them again later.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 05 Mar 2011, 18:11

Speaking on poss' behalf here, he spent most of the day downloading OD and compiling it, and working on replacing some of the textures he thought needed work (examples One , Two, Three) but he feels that there are some changes codewise that need to be made before he can work further.

In #opengameart he said
<poss> yeah im giving up for the night, in eseence it needs normal maps and specular maps, in addition to multiple tiles for each type. It'd also vastly improve the engine to allow for multiple tile tiles

I'd like to add to that though, and ask for optional texture splatting for natural tile transitions, and a bit of mesh randomization sothat things look a bit more natural as well.
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 05 Mar 2011, 19:29

That looks good, only the dirt texture doesn't seem to tile properly and the claimed texture is too dark. And yes, we really need to do something about the tiles now and add normal + specular mapping. The game looks way too clean with these sharp, flat walls.
Skorpio
OD Moderator