New Gift Box Texture

New Gift Box Texture

Postby eltomito » 11 Aug 2021, 07:38

This is my proposal for a new gift box texture that would prevent bowling balls from being mistaken for gift boxes.

To try it out, copy gift-box.png and gift-loop.png to stk-assets/models overwriting the original textures (save them somewhere if you want to revert later!).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nu4dgnzgefzerzi/AAAQhK11bITliSJ3WfDyufGQa?dl=0

What do you think?
Attachments
Dotty_Gift_Box-near.png
Another screenshot of the new dotty gift box.
eltomito

Re: New Gift Box Texture

Postby tempAnon093 » 11 Aug 2021, 14:23

They're good! The gift boxes definitely need a change like this and I think the dots on white are a distinctive, easily visible pattern and is likely to be easy for anyone with visual conditions to see. :)

I'm fine with the new pattern/colors but I'd also like to explore other possibilities to see if I like them more. It almost seems out-of-place to me compared to the simple bananas and nitros.
aka. GumballForAPenny
tempAnon093

Postby eltomito » 11 Aug 2021, 18:12

tempAnon093 {l Wrote}: ... I'm fine with the new pattern/colors but I'd also like to explore other possibilities to see if I like them more. ...

Red + gold is also pretty distinctive, although it makes STK look a little like a fancy Chinese restaurant :D
Attachments
Dotty_Gift_Box-red.png
eltomito

Postby eltomito » 11 Aug 2021, 19:21

Just thinking out loud here...
Attachments
Dotty_Gift_Box-red-chequered.png
red gift box w/. a checkered ribbon
eltomito

Postby KiyanTheBluePenguin » 11 Aug 2021, 21:04

eltomito {l Wrote}:
tempAnon093 {l Wrote}: ... I'm fine with the new pattern/colors but I'd also like to explore other possibilities to see if I like them more. ...

Red + gold is also pretty distinctive, although it makes STK look a little like a fancy Chinese restaurant :D

I Really Like These Red Gift Box Textures. Just Look Good In My Opinion.
KiyanTheBluePenguin

Postby bzt » 11 Aug 2021, 23:39

eltomito {l Wrote}:new gift box texture that would prevent bowling balls from being mistaken for gift boxes.
TBH I like that mistake. It was a source of many hilarious situations with my boys when one of us rushed towards a blue spot just to find out it's not a gift box at all rather an almost stationary ball :-)

eltomito {l Wrote}:What do you think?
Honestly it's better to just keep it as-is, blue like a ball. It's actually very funny that they are similar from a distance. Part of STK's charm, imho.

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby puzlanchik » 12 Aug 2021, 09:03

I like both white and red! Don't know which is better.

Cool, thanks for your work :)
puzlanchik

Postby eltomito » 12 Aug 2021, 18:15

bzt {l Wrote}:
eltomito {l Wrote}:new gift box texture that would prevent bowling balls from being mistaken for gift boxes.
TBH I like that mistake. It was a source of many hilarious situations ... Honestly it's better to just keep it as-is, blue like a ball. It's actually very funny that they are similar from a distance. Part of STK's charm, imho.

Yeah, I get it. Lets see how others feel about it. Sometimes, I find the mistake funny but in online races, it usually makes me mad, because it's so unfair! :)
puzlanchik {l Wrote}:I like both white and red! Don't know which is better. Cool, thanks for your work :)

Glad you like it!

I'll leave it for a couple of days and then I'll see how I like these designs with a fresh mind.
eltomito

Postby sridharkumar » 17 Aug 2021, 15:21

Very nice textures! I like the second one according to look but in gameplay you may think it is a banana as you see the gold. This can happen in red themed tracks such as XR. The third one looks better because it is easily seen.

eltomito {l Wrote}:...for a new gift box texture that would prevent bowling balls from being mistaken for gift boxes.

Yeah... when i play online i go for it especially when i am behind and not very focused about carefulness at the moment.
sridharkumar