Las Dunas Soccer Stadium is unfair

Las Dunas Soccer Stadium is unfair

Postby Wuzzy » 05 Jun 2021, 23:37

The Las Dunas Soccer Stadium is unfair because of its shape. On the blue side, the fence makes a strange turn and cuts off a corner of the soccer field. There is no such thing for the red team. This gives the blue team less area to play with. This is obviously unfair, especially for an official map.

There is no logial reason why this is the case. IMHO the playing field should be perfectly symmetrical so it is fair. The odd, rough shape is not the problem, but the asymmetry is. I also think it's OK if the graphics are not perfectly symmetrical, especially for all the eye-candy that lies outside of the playable field. I'm only talking about stuff that affects gameplay.

Please make this arena fair for future releases. Thank you for reading.
Wuzzy

Re: Las Dunas Soccer Stadium is unfair

Postby benau » 06 Jun 2021, 04:43

I have asked stk fans to fix it for a while but no one seems to want to contribute a fixed arena
benau
STK Moderator

Postby benau » 06 Jun 2021, 05:04

some prefer compatibility over playablity btw
benau
STK Moderator

Postby sridharkumar » 06 Jun 2021, 20:47

I also agree that it is really unfair. The blue team has much advantage because the red team cannot shoot the ball from the corner which blue team can. Also, the smoke is annoying for players NOT on low graphics. I think BOTH teams should have bad corners or smooth corners. In other words, symmetrical.
sridharkumar

Postby Wuzzy » 13 Jun 2021, 23:16

Tbh, I don't care about compability with this arena. Burn it to ashes! I would not shed a single tear.
And I didn't know about the smoke issue. That's one reason more.

If this arena isn't going to be fixed, then delete it from the game. Can always be added back to the add-ons section. Wouldn't be the first time a map is deleted from the game.
Yes, you read that right, this is the first time ever I actually advocate for a map deletion in SuperTuxKart. :D
It's a shame that it happens to be the best-looking official arena tho.

Also, I think there are a lot of add-on soccer arenas that are FAR superior to Las Dunas Soccer Stadium.
Wuzzy

Postby benau » 09 Jul 2021, 15:44

It's now fixed and will be prepared for 1.3 release, ask stk fans in irc for details, it may even be tested in next tournament
benau
STK Moderator

Postby sridharkumar » 10 Jul 2021, 12:12

It's a good news. Will supertuxkart update automatically or we need to download again? Also, I don't want to lose my in-progress tracks.
sridharkumar

Postby benau » 10 Jul 2021, 14:30

Need to manually update later

All 1.x releases are compatible
benau
STK Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 16 Jul 2021, 03:51

Ohhhhh, the arena was actually repaired? That sounds great. I should check it out someday and I will post when I playtested it. :heart:
Wuzzy