models/meshes/textures for next release

models/meshes/textures for next release

Postby oln » 09 Feb 2011, 15:06

Referring to this: https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/opendungeons/ticket/15
What should be prioritised?

I think we should aim for atleast having textures and models for each room, and a texture for the dig indicator.
oln

Re: models/meshes/textures for next release

Postby andrewbuck » 09 Feb 2011, 17:31

We have a texture for the dig indicator, it is part of the kobold texture. It just needs to have the file put in the right place and the right material file put into the right place as well. I am not sure what part is missing but it is a trivial fix. As for the other things, I agree that we should at least be able to visually distinguish the rooms. Even if they do not look like they are supposed to (i.e. solid red tiles for forge, solid blue for portal, etc) that would be fine as well, but we need to be able to tell them apart onscreen and we can't now.

We should also try to get two "sides" of creatures built up and get an equal number of creatures filling similar roles for both sides (i.e. both sides should have a close range fighter, a long range attacker, etc). Ideally the two sides would consist of creatures from two specific factions but I think if we want to "borrow" a few creatures from several factions to make one side that would be fine too. The reason I want to see this is that if we have these two sides figured out we can make a set of level files which are all the same level design and the same creature starting locations but the stats for the creature classes are different in each one. That way the level can be set up for something like constructs vs humans and we can then play to see if one side is too powerful. Then we reset The stats to be those for undead vs humans and run the same experiment. So even though the models are always the same we can test any of the factions to see how they play, at least in terms of movespeed, damage, and HP.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 10 Feb 2011, 00:17

oln {l Wrote}:Referring to this: https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/opendungeons/ticket/15

I think we should aim for atleast having textures and models for each room, and a texture for the dig indicator.

Once I tested a textured version of the indicator, but I didn't like it and it caused some errors if I recall correctly. The untextured version is easier to see, however, it doesn't look very good either. Alternatively, we could mark tiles for digging similar to the original Keeper games, but then we would need additional tiles.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 10 Feb 2011, 00:58

It would be fairly easy to make some sort of semi transparent/glowing square indicator to go over the tiles. That is much easier than adding a whole new set of tiles to look "selected".

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 10 Feb 2011, 11:04

That's actually what I meant, some transparent tiles, similar to the water tiles, as overlays.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 14 Feb 2011, 15:10

Ok, I am going to try to put together a full list of creatures here that we want to officially support in the next release. For each creature on the list we will want to verify _all_ of the following things. 1) that the creature mesh and texture are on SVN. 2) that the versions on SVN are the most up to date ones we have. and 3) that the .mesh file and .material file for ogre are up to date with the latest stuff on the SVN and that the textures are copied to the appropriate place in the media folder (check for naming conflicts).

The list (creatures):
Rough textures:
Goblin - A very full set of animations (can't remember if the texture is decent on this one or not)
Lizardman - Rough texture (needs to be unwrapped if a new texture is made), some animations

Have textures:
Wyvern - Only the idle animation
Kobold - All animations except attack (although dig would make a good attack animation for now).
Knight - All animations
Dragon - Some rough animations (the attack especially needs work)
Orc - Full animations
Kreature - Some animations
Gnome - Some animations
Dwarf1 - Full animations
Dwarf2 - Full animations (same as dwarf 1)
Pit Demon - Full set of animations
Spider - Some animations
Tentacle - Some animations
Troll - Some animations

That gives us 15 creatures right now. Sharing the kobold on both teams would let us make two teams of 7 each plus the kobold. Also, these are just the meshes which are in the game now, or on the SVN now; there are several other meshes in the forums currently that are not in one of these two places. I will leave it up to you all what else we want to add to this release and what we want to save for the next one (probably something like 2-3 months from now).

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 22 Feb 2011, 11:05

Skorpio {l Wrote}:
oln {l Wrote}:Referring to this: https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/opendungeons/ticket/15

Once I tested a textured version of the indicator, but I didn't like it and it caused some errors if I recall correctly. The untextured version is easier to see, however, it doesn't look very good either. Alternatively, we could mark tiles for digging similar to the original Keeper games, but then we would need additional tiles.

I also think that the marking for the original DK is best, also the pike is wasting allot of vertices, which could be used for nice models. I also do not really like the look of the pike for marking compared to just coloring the tiles.

Also please do not try and balance creature stats yet, as we are still in the development/concept fase of designing the creatures. It is only the Undead faction we have decided on yet, and all the models for it is still missing. We do not want to balance these creatures and then rebalance them later because we have not made models and stuff for them yet, that will waste time.

The list you made above does not represent factions and should be balanced different.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 22 Feb 2011, 15:26

I can hold off on the balancing if you think it is too early, but we do at least need to start thinking about it. Regarding the upcoming release, it doesn't sound like there are any objections to the list of creatures so it would be good to start going through and export the .mesh from blender and get all those on the SVN. That should be done in the next couple days so we have a few days to get the material files sorted out. I can help getting the material files written but I will need someone to do the .mesh export since I cannot get the converter to work. Also, someone should edit the textures with gimp to add transparency where we want the team color to show through.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 22 Feb 2011, 18:29

I've been working on my old wizard model. He's got a improved texture and the five basic animations. The flee animation is just a run cycle, and the staff should be in the left hand, otherwise the idle and attack animations would look odd.
Speaking of animations, I'd really appreciate it if you could enable the death animation in-game so that I can test it. I also tweaked the animations of the goblin a little bit.

I'll check the other creatures in the list tomorrow. Need to find something edible now.
Attachments
Wizard2.jpg
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 22 Feb 2011, 18:40

The wizard is coming along nicely. Do you have an estimate on when the latest .mesh files for this and the other creatures to be included will be up on the SVN?

The "Die" animation is played when the creature gets removed from the game. If you are not seeing the animation happen it is either because it is not named "Die" (case sensitive) or because my code does not work exactly as it should. If you can confirm that your creatures have the animation named "Die" and give me a list of which ones have it so I can test it, I can see if I can work out the problems in the code (although it might just be mis-named animations).

-Buck

PS: I assume the grey on the wizard's robe will represent the team color. Have you tried setting the team colors on anything in-game yet? I would like to start resolving any issues with this system as soon as possible so it will be ready for the release.
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 22 Feb 2011, 20:31

I played around with the team coloring as I had mentioned in my previous post just to make sure I could get it working. I thought I would post the results of that so you can see exactly what needs to be changed and how it will look in-game. I have modified the default test level to include 5 knights painted different colors, all under similar lighting conditions. Below are screenshots of the end result in game, the modified RGBA texture I used for the knight, and the material file I used for the knight. Note that in the Knight.png texture the cape is not white (like it may render in the browser) but actually erased to alpha = 0, I did this with the eraser tool in gimp after doing layer->transparency->add_alpha_channel.

Note that in the material file I have removed the "hardware cull" lines from the file. I assume you put them there to make the cape show up from both sides. The proper solution for this is to have extra faces on the other side of the cape so it is visible from both directions, disabling hardware culling prevents the graphics card from optimizing the draw routines somewhat and will slow it down more than just a few extra polygons on the cape.

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
material Knight

{

receive_shadows on

technique

{

pass

{

ambient 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000 1.000000

diffuse 0.708792 0.708792 0.708792 1.000000

specular 0.024482 0.035958 0.044421 1.000000 12.500000

emissive 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000

texture_unit

{

texture Knight.png

colour_op alpha_blend

}

}

}

}

material Knight/TWOSIDE

{

receive_shadows on

technique

{

pass

{

ambient 0.00000 0.00000 0.00000 1.000000

diffuse 0.708792 0.708792 0.708792 1.000000

specular 0.024482 0.035958 0.044421 1.000000 12.500000

emissive 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000

texture_unit

{

texture Knight.png

colour_op alpha_blend

}

}

}

}
Attachments
Knight.png
Dynamic_coloring.jpg
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 22 Feb 2011, 21:11

Ah nice team colors. So do they completely replace the texture underneath or is it possible to blend the colors? And is it possible to adjust their brightness, maybe with a lower degree of transparency?

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:The "Die" animation is played when the creature gets removed from the game. If you are not seeing the animation happen it is either because it is not named "Die" (case sensitive)...

I think most of the creatures already have a death animation and they are named "Die", I still need to tweak them a little bit, though. When the creatures get killed they just freeze and disappear after some seconds. Try the knight or the orc, they both have "Die" animations.

andrewbuck {l Wrote}:PS: I assume the grey on the wizard's robe will represent the team color. Have you tried setting the team colors on anything in-game yet? I would like to start resolving any issues with this system as soon as possible so it will be ready for the release.

Yes, either the grey or even the blue parts could be the team color.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 22 Feb 2011, 21:21

I think the grey parts would be the best for the team color on the wizard. The base emmissive color is set by the game engine to whatever RGB color is set for that seat at the top of the level file. Then any textures you add on top are alpha_blended with that color so something with alpha 0.5 would be half the team color and half whatever you set in the texture.

I will start a trac ticket on the die issue now that I know for sure that is the problem.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 22 Feb 2011, 23:02

Looks nice Andrew :)
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 23 Feb 2011, 06:19

I got the issue with the die animation resolved now. What was happening was that the animation did get set but it was set right as the creature was being removed from the map so it didn't hang around long enough for you to see it. I had apparently noticed this a while back and marked it with a TODO comment in the code but had never gotten around to actually fixing it. The latest git now has the fix.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 24 Feb 2011, 21:57

OK the spider, wyvern, kreatur and dragon have now 5+ animations. I also gave the kobold an attack animation which is simply the dig animation, and it looks fine. It would be nice if he had a claim animation as well. I'll upload the new models/skeletons later or tomorrow.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 25 Feb 2011, 10:37

I have the claim sound ready - almost I have made it in yoshimi and is trying to get at wav, but JACK keeps giving me XRUNS, but I hope to have that solved now that I have installed Ubuntu Studio. I will let you know when it is ready.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 25 Feb 2011, 11:59

The claim 'pickaxes' would look better smaller and spinning. You probably don't even need to texture the pickaxe, but at least give it some basic colours.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby oln » 25 Feb 2011, 12:07

svenskmand {l Wrote}:I have the claim sound ready - almost I have made it in yoshimi and is trying to get at wav, but JACK keeps giving me XRUNS, but I hope to have that solved now that I have installed Ubuntu Studio. I will let you know when it is ready.

Nice. I will see if i can adjust the code so it can use the sound.
oln

Postby andrewbuck » 25 Feb 2011, 19:36

Skorpio, I got the "Flee" animation playing properly now. It was being set before in the code, however a few lines later it would be overridden with a walk animation. You mentioned you have 5 animations for the creatures above, if you could give me a list of which 5 you are doing for the creatures (I assume it's mostly the same set of 5 for each creature). I would like to check the code to see if there are any more that could be easily implemented before the next release. This would let you tune them by looking at the animations in-game and would also help show off how complete some of the models are.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 25 Feb 2011, 19:48

Almost all creatures have 6 animations now: Attack1, Walk, Idle, Die, Flee and Dance. Some even have a secondary attack or other animations like scratching which could be added to the idle animation. The kobolds also have a claim animation now. I'm going to upload the new skeleton files in a few minutes.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby andrewbuck » 25 Feb 2011, 20:39

What is the kobold's claim animation called, is it just "Claim"?

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 25 Feb 2011, 21:49

Yep, Claim.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 26 Feb 2011, 00:15

Did you get any closer to working normal mapping? I saw some changed materials in the latest commit.
oln

Postby andrewbuck » 28 Feb 2011, 14:26

Skorpio, today is the end of the month when we were originally targeting the release candidate for. We were planning to pack it up and put it on sourceforge in the next day or two so anything you want to have included in the game needs to be properly exported to .mesh and put on SVN. We will bundle the release candidate and release it for a week before putting out the final release. Any content you can get into the release candidate would be good since it will get tested with the rest of the game during the next week. It will probably be a while before our next release after this one so if the stuff doesn't get uploaded now it won't be in the game for a long time.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator