Moving all media to SVN

Moving all media to SVN

Postby oln » 04 Feb 2011, 17:47

Having a Media dir with a few files in git, ended up being slightly annoying when packaging, so I suggest we move everything that are supposed to be in that folder to svn.
oln

Re: Moving all media to SVN

Postby andrewbuck » 05 Feb 2011, 01:00

Did you remove the level files and any other files from the git tracking? Having both systems tracking the files could be problematic.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 05 Feb 2011, 01:30

I haven't done any changes to that yet.
oln

Postby Skorpio » 07 Feb 2011, 22:47

I'm uploading my newest stuff to SVN now. That's the troll, the new texture of the Kreatur, a base texture for the dungeon temple and tweaked animations for the knight, dwarves and orcs. The orc and dwarves had only slow run animations instead of a walk animation and the walk animation of the knight looked odd. Animation and walk speeds still need to be tweaked a little bit once I know the final speeds of the creatures in-game. Also I added two trolls to the test level.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 22 Feb 2011, 15:31

Andrew, can we move the remaining files from the media dir on git, (including the level files) over to the svn repo? This would allow just dumping the whole media dir into the build dir, instead of merging the directories from both VCS'.
oln

Postby andrewbuck » 22 Feb 2011, 15:39

I think if you want to do that it would be fine, but I would like you to leave Media/levels/Test.level in the git repository (it can be in both so pulling the SVN will get you the whole thing, but I want git to track that file, too). The reason for this is I have a rule that the latest code on git should always compile and run and when I change the level loading/saving code, I also manually edit that file to make it agree with the new format. As you can see from the version numbers the file format changes quite frequently and if git is not tracking that file I somethimes forget it has changed and it wouln't get uploaded: meaning that everyone who tries to download the git version won't be able to run it until I get them the new level file. Missing meshes/textures on the other hand will cause OGRE to through error messages telling them what meshes they need and they can just do placeholder meshes, etc. But when the level file format is wrong you don't get nice error messages you just get very hard to diagnose crashes.

If you absolutely do not think the level should be in git then that is fine and I will concede, but that is my argument for keeping that one file in git.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 22 Feb 2011, 15:46

Surely, Buck, the answer is to move the test level to it's own place i.e. test/Media/levels/test.level
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby oln » 22 Feb 2011, 15:55

I'm with charlie here, can put the level file in a separate directory rather than having it in the media dir.
oln

Postby andrewbuck » 22 Feb 2011, 17:38

That works fine, I can't believe I didn't think of that. :)

I know you have been working on storing config files, etc, in the users home directory. Is that system functional now and can we put the level files in a directory in there somewhere?

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby oln » 22 Feb 2011, 17:59

The system works on linux, not implemented for windows yet, though it's not as important there.
Not sure if that's a good place for levels that are in the repositories, though we should implement the functionality for loading levels from there as well at some point, so you can put custom levels etc. there.
oln

Postby StefanP.MUC » 22 Feb 2011, 18:20

I have a question. Why do you even have two repositories for all the game stuff? Isn't it better to have a single repository with a fixed structure?
StefanP.MUC

Postby andrewbuck » 22 Feb 2011, 18:29

git is not a very good system for storing the art content since when you clone a git repository you have to check out the _whole_ history of every file which has ever been in the git repo, this makes SVN a lot better for the art content since a checkout only checks out the _current_ version of every file. Thus we use git for the code (since it is better at that) and SVN for the art content.

-Buck
andrewbuck
OD Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 23 Feb 2011, 12:41

You can checkout without history using
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
   git clone --depth 1 your_repo_url
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator