Updating base textures

Updating base textures

Postby altcoin » 17 Dec 2022, 18:44

I suggest an overhaul of the most commonly used textures.
Many of the base textures (dirt, grass, rock, etc) are very low res. You can see the individual pixels while playing. They are also very zoomed, I guess to make the tiling less obvious.
There are many free high(er) res textures on various sites such as polyhaven.com that could be used to replace them.

On a related topic, everything in the game (models, textures) are zoomed so much that the entire game has a miniature feel to it. Personally, I would prefer a real world scale, or something closer to it.
altcoin

Re: Updating base textures

Postby fracture » 19 Dec 2022, 20:22

I feel like a lot could be redone besides just textures. Some game music and sound effects (specifically the story mode overworld music, the final lap sound, the finish sound, and the results music after each track, and the end of grand prix music) could be replaced with better music. I don't know what software is used to create computer-generated music (LMMS?) but I could probably come up with something if I ever have time.

Yes I have noticed some tracks, especially the old Shiny Suburbs track where the karts are just as big as the skyscrapers, have poor scaling. If I knew how to make custom tracks and had the skills and time necessary I'd be doing overhauls or complete remakes of Shiny Suburbs, City Lights, and Paradise Peaks as they all aged horribly, especially City Lights which looks cool but is very broken, but are still good ideas and are sort of fun to play.
fracture

Postby SvenAndreasBelting » 20 Dec 2022, 18:26

altcoin {l Wrote}:I suggest an overhaul of the most commonly used textures.
Many of the base textures (dirt, grass, rock, etc) are very low res. You can see the individual pixels while playing. They are also very zoomed, I guess to make the tiling less obvious.
There are many free high(er) res textures on various sites such as polyhaven.com that could be used to replace them.

Just taking textures from those sites you suggested doesn't work since they are almost all photrealistic and don't fit with the style of the game at all.
Some of them look okay if they are edited, but a lot still look very out of place.

To really fit the style of STK textures should be handpainted that's a lot of work, and sadly we currently don't really have texture artists.

altcoin {l Wrote}:On a related topic, everything in the game (models, textures) are zoomed so much that the entire game has a miniature feel to it. Personally, I would prefer a real world scale, or something closer to it.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that, if you look from further away the karts are already extremly small compared to the world. Maybe you can give some examples/screenshots to show what you mean.
SvenAndreasBelting

Postby altcoin » 22 Dec 2022, 00:25

SvenAndreasBelting {l Wrote}:
altcoin {l Wrote}:On a related topic, everything in the game (models, textures) are zoomed so much that the entire game has a miniature feel to it. Personally, I would prefer a real world scale, or something closer to it.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that, if you look from further away the karts are already extremly small compared to the world. Maybe you can give some examples/screenshots to show what you mean.

Sorry. I didn't explain that well. I mean that that the karts appear extremely small. It seems that the game is played with matchbox cars. :D
P.S. I don't mind the karts seeming so small on Minigolf and Oliver's Math Class. Those tracks are meant to be just the way they are.
altcoin