Public release: 0.2.0

Re: Public release: 0.2.0

Postby andrewj » 08 Sep 2014, 15:48

The linux binary does not work on Debian stable ("wheezy"), since it is linked with version 2.15 of libc, but wheezy only has version 2.13 of libc

A minor thing is that the linux link has ".gz" extension but is not actually gzipped.
andrewj

Postby fr1tz » 08 Sep 2014, 17:25

Thanks for the info. Since libc is not that big it might make sense for the game to come with its own libc.

And are you sure about the file not being gzipped? "file" reports it a gzipped on my system and creating a tar archive of the dist without using the -z flag creates a tar file double the size of the distributed file.
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby andrewj » 09 Sep 2014, 10:28

The file I got was not gzipped, but maybe it was automatically uncompressed during the download -- perhaps your server has such a feature enabled? Files I have downloaded elsewhere have remained gzipped.
andrewj

Postby Julius » 11 Sep 2014, 11:23

Are there any "dummy bots" for Torque3D that could help with a tutorial/training mode? Without players it is very difficult to try out some aspects (discs etc.) and I have still not understood how the stealth works at all.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fr1tz » 11 Sep 2014, 11:36

TOL already has dummy bots (currently only accessible via console). A mode where you can practice against bots has been on my ROTC todo for a long time, but I never got around to it because it's quite a bit of work. The effort to create (and maintain) an in-game tutorial is also pretty big compared to something like a written tutorial or a video tutorial.
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby fr1tz » 11 Sep 2014, 11:43

About the stealth: It's similar to ROTC's barrier mechanic except a little cleaner. There are some weapons that activate a CATs stealth module when they damage the CAT (Grenade & Sniper. In ROTC they used different colors for their effects, in TOL they currently use the same color scheme as the other weapons). As long as the stealth is active these weapons will go straight through a CAT, ignoring it completely. There are no mines yet in TOL, but if a CAT's stealth is active, they would also not trigger any mines.

It's a mechanic to protect players being spammed by certain weapons. It's currently also used to make class #4 (minigunner) vulnerable to sniping, by not equipping it with a stealth module.
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Julius » 11 Sep 2014, 14:24

I really suggest you call it "phasing" then, because I would have never guessed that from the name "stealth module" ;) Phasing also fits better to the graphical effect.

What is the console command to add bots?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fr1tz » 11 Sep 2014, 14:40

The name is not yet final ;)

Console commands:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
ETH mode:
   AiPlayer::spawn(teamId, weapon);
DM mode:
   AiPlayer::spawn(weapon);
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby RazZziel » 08 Oct 2014, 13:13

andrewj {l Wrote}:The linux binary does not work on Debian stable ("wheezy"), since it is linked with version 2.15 of libc, but wheezy only has version 2.13 of libc

A minor thing is that the linux link has ".gz" extension but is not actually gzipped.

I made an AppImage for TerminalOverload, which are usually awesome for dealing with that kind of libc version problems, but in this particular case I didn't include any additional library that didn't come with the original package so it doesn't fix your problem.

I'll make a new release of version 0.2.0 including all the libraries and test it with Wheezy :)
RazZziel

Postby fr1tz » 08 Oct 2014, 14:40

I'm entertaining the thought of having the binary releases ship with every required lib except libGL.

Very nice of you to put tol up on portablelinuxgames, thanks :)
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby mray » 09 Oct 2014, 22:40

Awesome indeed! thanks!

Btw do you have any idea how ship the game with a clickable executable (in the best case even provided with an icon) that starts the game?
mray

Postby fr1tz » 09 Oct 2014, 23:10

What happens when you click overload or overload.sh (and with what file manager)?
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby RazZziel » 10 Oct 2014, 07:09

fr1tz {l Wrote}:I'm entertaining the thought of having the binary releases ship with every required lib except libGL.

It's the best way I've found to avoid dependency hell, although the way we do it in AppImage is a bit hackish; having access to the source code and being able to build portable static binaries like the one the godot engine uses looks awesome.

mray {l Wrote}:Btw do you have any idea how ship the game with a clickable executable (in the best case even provided with an icon) that starts the game?

AppImages are a clickable executable, although the version I use for portablelinuxgames is a bit old, and still uses elfIcon, which worked on stuff like Ubuntu 12.04 but seems to be a bit deprecated nowadays, so more modern versions of AppImage now use embedded thumbnails instead of icons, which I should test.

Anyway, clicking overload, overload.sh, or a some overload.desktop file with an icon should also work.
RazZziel

Postby RazZziel » 10 Oct 2014, 08:03

New package uploaded: http://www.portablelinuxgames.org/?id=terminal-overload
All the dependencies included (including libc and ld-linux), and less than 5MB larger!

I tested it on Ubuntu 10.04, 12.04 and 14.04. The game worked on *none* of them :D because of the lights manager error on an Intel chipset, but the binary runs fine, so dependencies like libc should be covered. I couldn't test it on wheezy right now, my vagrant VM stopped working for some reason, so let me know how it performs on your system.
RazZziel

Postby mray » 10 Oct 2014, 23:23

fr1tz {l Wrote}:What happens when you click overload or overload.sh (and with what file manager)?

Nautilus asks me what to do with the file (Ubuntu with GNOME, there probably is an option to make it stop asking that).
I might have phrased this the wrong way, this is what I would like to see after unpacking the download:
https://imgur.com/LTBrlDu
mray

Postby RazZziel » 11 Oct 2014, 08:35

mray {l Wrote}:
fr1tz {l Wrote}:What happens when you click overload or overload.sh (and with what file manager)?

Nautilus asks me what to do with the file (Ubuntu with GNOME, there probably is an option to make it stop asking that).
I might have phrased this the wrong way, this is what I would like to see after unpacking the download:
https://imgur.com/LTBrlDu

I'm not sure there's a workaround to Nautilus asking what to do with a shell script. In AppImage we started using a bash header for our packages, but switched to pure ELF mostly because Nautilus was being a little bitch about it.

You could try with a .desktop file, which includes an icon and at least Dolphin is able to run them without asking (when they're executable), but they only allow absolute paths for executable and icon so you can't just "unpack & run" anywhere. I found a workaround to make the relative executable work, which can be simplified like this:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
Exec=bash -c "$(dirname %k)/AppRun"
but I found no workaround for the icon, all I can think of is to copy the icon to the icon search path ($HOME/.local/share/icons/ etc) the first time the game is run.
RazZziel