Re: Testing release: 0.1.0-testing2

Postby Wuzzy » 28 Jul 2014, 21:11

I still can’t build it. :-(

I can’t even get past “cmake .”. I get this error:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
CMake Error at Engine/lib/sdl/CMakeLists.txt:2 (message):
  Prevented in-tree built.  Please create a build directory outside of the
  SDL source code and call cmake from there

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/wuzzy/src/terminal-overload/terminal-overload-0.1.0-testing2-source/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/wuzzy/src/terminal-overload/terminal-overload-0.1.0-testing2-source/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
Wuzzy

Postby fr1tz » 28 Jul 2014, 21:24

Wuzzy, where's your cmake build directory in relation to the source code root?
Maybe this will help: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28887086/T3D%20CMake%20docs/mdwiki.html#!index.md
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 28 Jul 2014, 21:48

Wuzzy, where's your cmake build directory in relation to the source code root?

Root.

And no, this document does not help.

Anyways, at least the binaries work for me now. Phew.
Wuzzy

Postby fr1tz » 28 Jul 2014, 21:55

I tend to use something like $root/My Projects/main/buildFiles/CMake as cmake build directory.
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 28 Jul 2014, 22:18

Funny bug: The background looks kinda … weird. The red pixels flicker a bit.

Wuzzy

Postby fr1tz » 28 Jul 2014, 22:30

It's supposed to look that way. Well... ultimately it should look prettier but it's not a bug ;)
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Julius » 29 Jul 2014, 13:00

Still downloading this release and will try later today.

Concerning the "flicker" feature: I think it introduces a lot of noise to the overall look. My suggestion is to stick to smooth gradients only to keep the look of the game clean.
Maybe as inspiration: technical dissection of the awesome Homeworld2 backgrounds:
http://simonschreibt.de/gat/homeworld-2-backgrounds/
http://simonschreibt.de/gat/homeworld-2 ... unds-tech/

By the way: do you have some technical guidance on how to get new weapon models in the game?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fr1tz » 29 Jul 2014, 13:09

The "flicker" is a result of the water's ripple effects. Would have to code it so that the ripples fade out over distance.

@Modeling: Take a look at the .blend files. A lot of them currently aren't set up for multiple detail levels but the process of getting them into the game is really simple: Export to collada format which is then converted automatically by the engine.
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Julius » 29 Jul 2014, 17:32

Hmm, I just tried to run it, but now it fails to work with my Nvidia Optimus (under Linux) and has the same error as with the intel card, i.e. "failed to run "main.cs"" or something like that.

Edit: but the archive I downloaded also seems to be damaged, maybe I need to re-download (sadly my internet is slooooow and volume limited around here).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Akien » 29 Jul 2014, 19:23

The linux32 binary works fine here on Mageia 5 (alpha1) 64bit, using my Nvidia Optimus GPU with bumblebee.
It still doesn't work with the Intel driver, but maybe simply because the game is too demanding/uses advanced OpenGL features?

I could run around in the test level without issues, it runs pretty smoothly.

I could reproduce the issue with a freeze + error message about postFX.glsl, but it now happens (as per my first tests) only when I jump into the void/watery material. The precise error message is:
Program shaders/common/postFx/gl/postFxV.glsl:
/home/mike/projects/terminal-overload/master/Engine/source/gfx/gl/gfxGLShader.cpp(856,0): {Fatal-ISV} - failed to open include 'postFX.glsl'.

OpenAL now loads correctly, but there is still no sound in-game.

Here is the terminal output of my last play test: http://pastebin.com/FjSXTLXU
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby fr1tz » 29 Jul 2014, 19:46

Thanks again for the detailed feedback Akien, much appreciated.

Akien {l Wrote}:The linux32 binary works fine here on Mageia 5 (alpha1) 64bit, using my Nvidia Optimus GPU with bumblebee.
It still doesn't work with the Intel driver, but maybe simply because the game is too demanding/uses advanced OpenGL features?

Yup, the game requires OpenGL 3.2 at minimum and it looks like the Intel driver only provides 3.1 on most systems. The game still doesn't handle that situation gracefully but it now at least mentions why OpenGL init fails in its output.

Akien {l Wrote}:I could reproduce the issue with a freeze + error message about postFX.glsl, but it now happens (as per my first tests) only when I jump into the void/watery material. The precise error message is:
Program shaders/common/postFx/gl/postFxV.glsl:
/home/mike/projects/terminal-overload/master/Engine/source/gfx/gl/gfxGLShader.cpp(856,0): {Fatal-ISV} - failed to open include 'postFX.glsl'.

Upstream made a case mistake in some of the shader files (postFX.glsl instead of postFx.glsl) and probably didn't notice because they never went underwater on a linux system (goes for me too). Will be fixed in the official 0.1.0 release.

Akien {l Wrote}:OpenAL now loads correctly, but there is still no sound in-game.

Same here. Wuzzy reported that sounds works fine on his system. And since the linux version now comes with OpenAL included... I have no idea what goes wrong ;)
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Julius » 29 Jul 2014, 20:06

Ok after redownloading it works with optimus under linux.

Issues remaining:

-No sound (but openal is found)
-Doesn't remember graphics settings at all
-In windowed mode the mouse-pointer interacts with a point about 2cm above where the actual cursor is displayed (in KDE).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fr1tz » 29 Jul 2014, 20:33

Julius {l Wrote}:Ok after redownloading it works with optimus under linux.

Issues remaining:

-No sound (but openal is found)
-Doesn't remember graphics settings at all
-In windowed mode the mouse-pointer interacts with a point about 2cm above where the actual cursor is displayed (in KDE).

Input is a little wonky in general in the linux version. For example the mouse wheel zoom doesn't work on my systems. These issues will probably take some time to fix, as I have virtually zero experience using SDL.

Concerning the mouse pointer offset: Resizing the window seems to improve that for me.

These issues suck but aren't game breaking, so I'm going ahead and release 0.1.0 on the first of next month. I think the version number + the notes on the website, the readme and the main menu screen should be enough so that people won't expect a perfectly working and polished game ;)
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 30 Jul 2014, 01:08

Oh, about the sound:
I remember how it was yesterday: Yes, the sound worked once. At the start of the game, there was no sound I *think*. I am not sure. But after the program ran for a while, the sound started playing suddenly.

Weird.

Sorry for the confusion. :(

Edit: I don’t have a clue what is going on. I tested a bit. After some software starts, the sounds works immediately, after some other starts, it doesn’t. This looks so random to me. :-(

Edit 2: Maybe it was just me. I just remembered that my sound setup on my machine is pretty much fucked up. So maybe it is not TO’s fault, after all. I am not sure.
Wuzzy