Testing release: 0.1.0-testing1

Testing release: 0.1.0-testing1

Postby fr1tz » 02 Jul 2014, 18:53

Here we go, the first testing release is online:

Source: http://files.wasted.ch/software/terminal-overload/terminal-overload-0.1.0-testing1-source.tar.gz
Linux: http://files.wasted.ch/software/terminal-overload/terminal-overload-0.1.0-testing1-linux.tar.gz
Windows: http://files.wasted.ch/software/terminal-overload/terminal-overload-0.1.0-testing1-win32.zip

Aside from technical issues, I'm mostly interested what you guys think are the things that absolutely must be added/removed/changed before a public 0.1.0 release should be made.
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Re: Testing release: 0.1.0-testing1

Postby Akien » 02 Jul 2014, 20:42

I tested the Linux binary version, and found some technical issues:

- The binary doesn't seem to look to the SDL2 library in its runtime dir, since I get the well-known:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
[akien@cauldron terminal-overload-0.1.0-testing1-linux]$ ./overload
./overload: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2-2.0.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

A workaround is to start the game with "LD_LIBRARY_PATH+=. ./overload", but I wonder, why is your SDL2 library named libSDL2-2.0.so.1? Here on Mageia the simlink is called libSDL2-2.0.so.0 and points to libSDL2-2.0.so.0.2.1 (just like yours, but the .so.1 name is incoherent).

- The game does not start with freedesktop's Intel driver (for my integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 chipset).
An error dialog shows up instead and says: "Failed to set a light manager!". Here is the full terminal output in such a case: http://pastebin.com/QhGzR9ZV
My laptop is an Optimus laptop (nvidia GPU + intel IGP), and running the game with my nvidia GPU (through bumblebee) does the trick, the game starts and is playable (and looks great!). Here is the terminal output when starting the game with my nvidia GPU: http://pastebin.com/UHuY3GuC

- Looking at both terminal outputs, it seems OpenAL can't be loaded, even though I have the 32bit openal library installed on my system (libopenal1 1.15.1). So there is no sound in-game.

- The first time I tried the game (Play::ETH1), it went on smoothly and I could run around and shoot everywhere :-) Now every time I run the game, I can start moving to reach e.g. my zone but after a little while I get a freeze with the issue "failed to open include 'gl/postFX.glsl'.". Here is the full output, there are quite a few relevant errors and warnings on some other things too: http://pastebin.com/dKd62KWm

For a first testing version of 0.1.0, it already looks quite good :-)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Julius » 02 Jul 2014, 20:50

This is what I get on Kubuntu 14.04
/terminal-overload-0.1.0-testing1-linux$ optirun -b primus ./overload
./overload: error while loading shared libraries: libXft.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(both with and without running it on Bumblebee/Optimus)

Seems like I have a "libXft2" installed though.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Akien » 02 Jul 2014, 21:28

Julius {l Wrote}:This is what I get on Kubuntu 14.04
./overload: error while loading shared libraries: libXft.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Do you have the 32bit version of the library? You can have a look at where overload searches for its libraries with "ldd ./overload", that could give you a clue.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby fr1tz » 02 Jul 2014, 21:39

Thanks for the quick and useful replies :)

Akien {l Wrote}:I tested the Linux binary version, and found some technical issues:

- The binary doesn't seem to look to the SDL2 library in its runtime dir, since I get the well-known:
[akien@cauldron terminal-overload-0.1.0-testing1-linux]$ ./overload
./overload: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL2-2.0.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

You're right, like ROTC, the binary uses RPATH ($objdump -x overload | grep RPATH) but unliike ROTC, the path is absolute ^^

Akien {l Wrote}:I wonder, why is your SDL2 library named libSDL2-2.0.so.1? Here on Mageia the simlink is called libSDL2-2.0.so.0 and points to libSDL2-2.0.so.0.2.1 (just like yours, but the .so.1 name is incoherent).

Good catch. Upstream is most likely to blame for that one ;)

Akien {l Wrote}:- The game does not start with freedesktop's Intel driver (for my integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 chipset).
An error dialog shows up instead and says: "Failed to set a light manager!". Here is the full terminal output in such a case: http://pastebin.com/QhGzR9ZV

I think I messed up the windows version's compatibility with wine for this release, but it would be useful to know if the win-version + wine combo works (as a temporary workaround).

Akien {l Wrote}:My laptop is an Optimus laptop (nvidia GPU + intel IGP), and running the game with my nvidia GPU (through bumblebee) does the trick, the game starts and is playable (and looks great!). Here is the terminal output when starting the game with my nvidia GPU: http://pastebin.com/UHuY3GuC

Phew, good to hear :)

Akien {l Wrote}:- Looking at both terminal outputs, it seems OpenAL can't be loaded, even though I have the 32bit openal library installed on my system (libopenal1 1.15.1). So there is no sound in-game.

Have to look up exactly what version of OpenAL it tries to load. Loading OpenAL works on my Ubuntu box but the sound stops working as soon as I load a map.

Akien {l Wrote}:-- The first time I tried the game (Play::ETH1), it went on smoothly and I could run around and shoot everywhere :-) Now every time I run the game, I can start moving to reach e.g. my zone but after a little while I get a freeze with the issue "failed to open include 'gl/postFX.glsl'.". Here is the full output, there are quite a few relevant errors and warnings on some other things too: http://pastebin.com/dKd62KWm

This one really scares me. I encounter the same freezes from time to time but haven't been able to reliably reproduce them. Are you sure they never happen when you run a fresh install?

Julius {l Wrote}:This is what I get on Kubuntu 14.04

Are you sure it's a 32bit version of libXft2?
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Julius » 02 Jul 2014, 22:29

Ahh, it's a 32bit release? Linux is basically all 64bit these days (contrary to other lame OS :p ), so if possible make a 64bit release as the standard.

Strangely enough I can't find those ia32 compatibility package in Ubuntu anymore... will have to see how else I can get a 32bit version of that lib...
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheLastProject » 02 Jul 2014, 23:58

This one is curious:
sylvie@fox ~/Games/Free/terminal-overload-0.1.0-testing1-linux $ ./overload
zsh: no such file or directory: ./overload

But...:
sylvie@fox ~/Games/Free/terminal-overload-0.1.0-testing1-linux $ ls -lah             
total 34M
drwxrwxr-x  8 sylvie sylvie 4.0K Jul  2 18:55 .
drwx------ 23 sylvie sylvie 4.0K Jul  3 00:54 ..
drwxrwxr-x  3 sylvie sylvie 4.0K Jul  2 18:54 content
-rw-rw-r--  1 sylvie sylvie 2.7K Jul  2 18:54 COPYING
drwxrwxr-x  6 sylvie sylvie 4.0K Jul  2 18:54 core
-rw-rw-r--  1 sylvie sylvie 5.0K Jul  2 18:54 CREDITS
lrwxrwxrwx  1 sylvie sylvie   16 Jul  2 18:54 libSDL2-2.0.so -> libSDL2-2.0.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 sylvie sylvie 4.7M Jul  2 18:54 libSDL2-2.0.so.0.2.1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 sylvie sylvie   20 Jul  2 18:54 libSDL2-2.0.so.1 -> libSDL2-2.0.so.0.2.1
-rw-rw-r--  1 sylvie sylvie 6.9K Jul  2 18:54 main.cs
-rw-rw-r--  1 sylvie sylvie  141 Jul  2 18:54 NEWS
drwxrwxr-x  4 sylvie sylvie 4.0K Jul  2 18:54 notc
-rwxrwxr-x  1 sylvie sylvie  30M Jul  2 18:55 overload
-rw-rw-r--  1 sylvie sylvie  312 Jul  2 18:54 README
drwxrwxr-x  4 sylvie sylvie 4.0K Jul  2 18:54 shaders
drwxrwxr-x 23 sylvie sylvie 4.0K Jul  2 18:54 tools
-rw-rw-r--  1 sylvie sylvie   40 Jul  2 18:54 version.cs
drwxrwxr-x  2 sylvie sylvie 4.0K Jul  2 18:54 web

Ryzom seems to have the same issue. I'm running a 64 bit Trisquel 6 system:
sylvie@fox ~/Games/Free/terminal-overload-0.1.0-testing1-linux $ uname -a                               
Linux fox 3.11.0-24-generic #1trisquel1 SMP Mon Jun 30 17:07:45 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby fr1tz » 03 Jul 2014, 06:28

TheLastProject {l Wrote}:I'm running a 64 bit Trisquel 6 system

It's a 32 bit binary, see http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-install-a-32bit-program-in-64bit-ubuntu.
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Julius » 03 Jul 2014, 17:56

Ok managed to get it to run will all the same issue as Akien.

The "postFX.glsl" error showed up when I tried to jump into the water (maybe a way to replicate; Edit: happened directly the first time I ran the game). Crashed my system badly btw. not a common occurrence on Linux otherwise.
Also no sound at all on Kubuntu 14.04 (in the setting there is only the null device).

Additional issues: in windowed mode the mouse-pointer is offset by about two centimeters to the bottom.

Seems to run surprisingly smooth though (on my old Laptop it runs into the FPS ceiling all the time). Not what I expected from Torque which is otherwise very sluggish under windows.

General comments: the ethermode mouse-input seems too delayed and thus no fun, and the weapon-sway when walking it way to strong.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheLastProject » 03 Jul 2014, 19:32

fr1tz {l Wrote}:
TheLastProject {l Wrote}:I'm running a 64 bit Trisquel 6 system

It's a 32 bit binary, see http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-install-a-32bit-program-in-64bit-ubuntu.

Trying again:
sylvie@fox ~/Games/Free/terminal-overload-0.1.0-testing1-linux $ ./overload                                                 

sylvie@fox ~/Games/Free/terminal-overload-0.1.0-testing1-linux $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH+=. ./overload
Initializing platform...
Input Init:
%
Failed to load OpenAL shared library. Sound will not be available
SFXALProvider - OpenAL not available.
DebugDrawer Enabled!
GFX Init:
   Null device found
   OpenGL device found
%
GFXStringEnumTranslate: Unassigned value in GFXStringTextureFormat: 13
--------- Loading DIRS ---------
%
--------- Parsing Arguments ---------
Binding server port to default IP
UDP initialized on port 0
The requested renderer, D3D9, doesn't seem to be available. Trying the default, OpenGL.
Attempting to create GFX device: Gallium 0.4 on NVCF OpenGL []
Device created, setting adapter and enumerating modes
Initializing GFXCardProfiler (GL1.4)
   o Chipset : 'nouveau'
   o Card    : 'Gallium 0.4 on NVCF'
   o Version : '1.4 (3.0 Mesa 8.0.4)'
   o VRAM    : 0 MB
   - Scanning card capabilities...
GFXCardProfiler (GL1.4) - Setting capability 'maxTextureWidth' to 16384.
GFXCardProfiler (GL1.4) - Setting capability 'maxTextureHeight' to 16384.
GFXCardProfiler (GL1.4) - Setting capability 'maxTextureSize' to 16384.
GFXCardProfiler (GL1.4) - Setting capability 'GL::suppVertexBufferObject' to 0.
GFXCardProfiler (GL1.4) - Setting capability 'GL::suppRenderTexture' to 1.
GFXCardProfiler (GL1.4) - Setting capability 'GL::suppRTBlit' to 0.
GFXCardProfiler (GL1.4) - Setting capability 'GL::suppFloatTexture' to 0.
GFXCardProfiler (GL1.4) - Setting capability 'GL::suppAnisotropic' to 1.
% zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  LD_LIBRARY_PATH+=. ./overload
TheLastProject

Postby Julius » 03 Jul 2014, 20:30

Ahh, I should probably say that I am running it on a (optimus) Nvidia system with the closed source driver.
@ TheLastProject: Using the open-source noveau driver might be what is causing your problem.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheLastProject » 04 Jul 2014, 18:38

Julius {l Wrote}:@ TheLastProject: Using the open-source noveau driver might be what is causing your problem.

Impossible, because I've ran git builds before. There seems to be something else wrong with my system as every 32-bit application seems to segfault, including Ryzom which used to run fine. Long story short, ignore my posts, they don't appear to be Terminal Overload-related issues.
TheLastProject

Postby fr1tz » 06 Jul 2014, 15:20

@Julius: How did you get your 64-bit system to run it?

A 64-bit TOL version is currently not possible. If so many 64bit linux distros don't come with proper 32bit support it might make sense to look into having TOL ship with 32bit versions of all required libs.
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Julius » 10 Jul 2014, 14:44

I learned that newer version of Ubuntu don't depend on the ia32 hacks package anymore and you can simply install the multi-arch packages by adding a ":i386" if I recall correctly. So after doing that for the libXft2 package (and using the sdl2 work-around posted above) it worked.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fr1tz » 16 Jul 2014, 16:08

So I've finally got a 64bit linux system up and running. I'll have to make two lists of all packages required to compile and run the game. When running the game I encountered the same problems as mray. Turns out the open-source radeon driver only supports OpenGL 3.1, while the game requires 3.2 at least and doesn't exactly handle that situation gracefully ;)
So for now it looks like you need the proprietary drivers if you have ATI graphics hardware and if they don't work (which seems to be the case for me) you're pretty much screwed until the open-source one catches up.
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 18 Jul 2014, 02:29

Ummm …
How do I compile this on my GNU/Linux machine?
Wuzzy

Postby fr1tz » 18 Jul 2014, 15:59

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:Ummm …
How do I compile this on my GNU/Linux machine?

It's built using cmake. So until ı've written up more detailed build instruction it goes like this: 1. Run cmake 2. Goto cmake build dir and run make. 3. Expect compilation error due to missing package. 4. Install missing package. 5. Goto 2
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby mray » 13 Aug 2014, 22:11

I'm just catching up with the forum and I'm asking myself if this isn't better dealt within the boundaries of an issue tracker.
Since the code is at github - why not open issues and discuss them there?
mray