Error compiling from source: cannot find libraries

Error compiling from source: cannot find libraries

Postby You_Know_Who » 20 Oct 2014, 03:10

Hello:

I was trying to compile Terminal Overload from the source code, but without success. I was hoping that somebody might be able to tell me what I did wrong, or if there is perhaps a workaround. When compiling from source, the compile fails and there is mention that -llibvorbis, -llibogg, and -llibtheora cannot be found. But I have all of these libraries installed.

This is on a Gentoo GNU/Linux x86_64 system:

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
/tmp/tov/terminal-overload-0.3.1-source/Engine/source/core/util/tUnmanagedVector.h:18:11: warning:   'U32 UnmanagedVector<PolyhedronData::Edge>::mCount' [-Wreorder]
/tmp/tov/terminal-overload-0.3.1-source/Engine/source/core/util/tUnmanagedVector.h:28:7: warning:   when initialized here [-Wreorder]
In file included from /tmp/tov/terminal-overload-0.3.1-source/Engine/source/materials/materialDefinition.h:10:0,
                 from /tmp/tov/terminal-overload-0.3.1-source/Engine/source/shaderGen/shaderFeature.h:7,
                 from /tmp/tov/terminal-overload-0.3.1-source/Engine/source/shaderGen/GLSL/shaderFeatureGLSL.h:7,
                 from /tmp/tov/terminal-overload-0.3.1-source/Engine/source/forest/glsl/windDeformationGLSL.h:8,
                 from /tmp/tov/terminal-overload-0.3.1-source/Engine/source/forest/glsl/windDeformationGLSL.cpp:5:
/tmp/tov/terminal-overload-0.3.1-source/Engine/source/core/util/tDictionary.h: In instantiation of 'HashTable<Key, Value>::Node* HashTable<Key, Value>::_next(U32) const [with Key = const FeatureType*; Value = GFXTexHandle; U32 = unsigned int]':
/tmp/tov/terminal-overload-0.3.1-source/Engine/source/core/util/tDictionary.h:617:38:   required from 'HashTable<Key, Value>::ConstIterator HashTable<Key, Value>::begin() const [with Key = const FeatureType*; Value = GFXTexHandle; HashTable<Key, Value>::ConstIterator = HashTable<const FeatureType*, GFXTexHandle>::_Iterator<const HashTable<const FeatureType*, GFXTexHandle>::Pair, const HashTable<const FeatureType*, GFXTexHandle>::Node, const HashTable<const FeatureType*, GFXTexHandle> >]'
/tmp/tov/terminal-overload-0.3.1-source/Engine/source/materials/materialDefinition.h:155:61:   required from here
/tmp/tov/terminal-overload-0.3.1-source/Engine/source/core/util/tDictionary.h:318:4: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
Linking CXX executable "../../../My Projects/main/game/main"
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -llibvorbis
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -llibogg
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.7.3/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -llibtheora
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/main.dir/build.make:20893: recipe for target '../My Projects/main/game/main' failed
gmake[2]: *** [../My Projects/main/game/main] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:323: recipe for target 'Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/main.dir/all' failed
gmake[1]: *** [Tools/CMake/CMakeFiles/main.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:116: recipe for target 'all' failed
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

But this system has all of the libraries:

# ls  /usr/lib64/ | grep libogg.so
libogg.so
libogg.so.0
libogg.so.0.8.1

# ls  /usr/lib64/ | grep libvorbis.so
libvorbis.so
libvorbis.so.0
libvorbis.so.0.4.7

# ls  /usr/lib64/ | grep libtheora.so
libtheora.so
libtheora.so.0
libtheora.so.0.3.10

Even when trying to manually include them in LDFLAGS environment variable, (for example, using LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L/usr/lib64 -lvorbis -logg -ltheora" gmake) I still see the same error message.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Thank you for your support.
You_Know_Who

Re: Error compiling from source: cannot find libraries

Postby fr1tz » 21 Oct 2014, 06:56

The game is still 32-bit only (although that will change soon) and compiling it on a 64-bit system is possible but a bit of a pain in the ass to get working. In addition to 32-bit versions of the required libraries I remember also having had to install some gcc/g++ packages related to compiling 32-bit binaries on a 64-bit system.

In the end it was all for nothing because my 64-bit linux system can't run TOL anyway because it doesn't support OpenGL 3.2+. I was planning on writing down my steps next time I'm compiling the engine on a 64-bit linux system. If you continue trying to compile the engine it would be great if you did the same and added it to the wiki.
fr1tz
RotC Moderator