Naming discussion

Re: Naming discussion

Postby Evropi » 03 Apr 2014, 23:44

I came up with this:
"An original, fast-paced, free and open source first person shooter that takes place in a digital plane. You have never played anything like this before."

RotC was a very obscure game indeed and it hardly has a strong brand so there's no need to make it part of the TOL brand. Most importantly, TOL is a spiritual successor, not a direct continuation! I think RotC should be mentioned in a more detailed 'About' page.

I'd also like to add that most games these days have pages similar to this with that explain the game's key points.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby TheLastProject » 04 Apr 2014, 13:44

fr1tz {l Wrote}:http://www.terminal-overload.org is online. Any ideas how to best describe the game in one sentence? The description should probably mention that it's FOSS and multi-platform, but for example: should it mention ROTC: Ethernet?

"Terminal Overload is an unique, fast-paced, Open Source first person person shooter running on Windows, OS X, Linux and BSD."

Note: I assume it runs on those platforms? I'm not so sure about BSD. You may want to refer to "Linux" as "GNU/Linux", but honestly, it doesn't really matter if you do or not.

I also don't think that mentioning ROTC: Ethernet is meaningful. I'd recommend adding a message to ROTC: Ethernet about it being re-released as Terminal Overload, but not refer to ROTC: Ethernet from the Terminal Overload page. The idea is that new players have no use in knowing about the now-defunct(?) game it is like, but people who play ROTC: Ethernet may be interested in switching to Terminal Overload.

Some people don't like the term "Open Source", others don't like "Free Software", others don't like "FOSS". Personally, I have the tendency to treat it as an aesthetic issue, and I feel "Open Source" looks best in this sentence.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby Evropi » 04 Apr 2014, 17:17

I'm happy with it but drop the platform stuff. Those are typically placed in the download section (which should be at the top of the page, so no need to clutter the description with it.

The short description is very important because that's what will get used on blogs, news sources and resources of knowledge (such as Wikipedia) that link to it.
Evropi

Postby Julius » 04 Apr 2014, 17:28

Yeah, it should actually give an idea why it is "unique" not just say so.

How about:

"Terminal Overload is an open-source, team-based, online FPS that catapults you into cyberspace with a unique choice of movements and weapons" ?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Evropi » 04 Apr 2014, 18:03

That sounds awesome! Guess I've been a Wikipedian for too long so I can only give NPOV descriptions.
Evropi

Postby Akien » 04 Apr 2014, 18:38

Evropi {l Wrote}:The short description is very important because that's what will get used on blogs, news sources and resources of knowledge (such as Wikipedia) that link to it.

And Linux packages! :-D
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien