Collaboration with Torque3D fork GREED?

Collaboration with Torque3D fork GREED?

Postby Julius » 01 Feb 2014, 15:18

Seem like this would be a cool project to collaborate with the guys that are creating the community fork of the Torque3D engine code named "Project GREED MIT".

Some links:
http://greed.torque3d.net/
http://www.garagegames.com/community/fo ... ead/135730
http://www.moddb.com/engines/greed-tech-mit
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Collaboration with Torque3D fork GREED?

Postby Julius » 15 Feb 2014, 16:02

*hrmm* this GREED initiative seems to have died a quicker death than I expected :(

Maybe RotC could become the center or community open-source FPS development on Torque3D instead? The main community of Torque3D is too fractured & based on closed source commercial interests to really feel like a home for open-source development...
Last edited by Julius on 15 Feb 2014, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby fr1tz » 15 Feb 2014, 16:24

Sad, but not unexpected, as Torque3D really needs to be heavily customized for a particular game. So the idea of a *definitive* universal Torque3D engine does not really work imho. Better just to have a collection of resources that can be integrated into base Torque3D and modified as needed depending on the kind of game.
fr1tz
RotC Moderator

Postby Julius » 15 Feb 2014, 16:34

Hmm, will RotC allow for easy modding at some point? What I mean is similar to Quake engines, e.g. have a sub directory and you can start your mod via the menu or with a parameter on the executable.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Evropi » 15 Feb 2014, 16:35

Eh, I reckon that full forks are very harmful. A better Torque3D-based game engine would be implemented as a set of scripts on TOP of core Torque3D, otherwise it's bound to fail.

I don't think that's a goal of OpenRotC to be a game engine... though it could certainly be a showcase-worthy FPS game! That's the goal, isn't it? :D
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby fr1tz » 15 Feb 2014, 16:58

Julius {l Wrote}:Hmm, will RotC allow for easy modding at some point? What I mean is similar to Quake engines, e.g. have a sub directory and you can start your mod via the menu or with a parameter on the executable.

Depends on what you understand by "easy" ;)
You can easily tell the engine to load up a whole bunch of different scripts. But if you need to do something that can't be done using scripts you're forced to modify the engine.

Evropi {l Wrote}:Eh, I reckon that full forks are very harmful. A better Torque3D-based game engine would be implemented as a set of scripts on TOP of core Torque3D, otherwise it's bound to fail.

I don't think that's a goal of OpenRotC to be a game engine... though it could certainly be a showcase-worthy FPS game! That's the goal, isn't it? :D

Yeah OpenROTC is not meant the be a game engine, just a game that has one. But I'm trying to keep it somewhat easy to integrate OpenROTC's modifications to Torque3D into other Torque3D-based games.
fr1tz
RotC Moderator