The AgentKeeper GUI

The AgentKeeper GUI

Postby Flipflop » 08 Feb 2013, 17:19

Hello there,

we are looking for some talented Artist who would like to redesign/desing the Gui.
It is actualy using the cool Nifty-Gui
Nifty-Gui
They have a good Documentation there.

We also need lots of Icons in one "design-pattern".
Good start would be this collection by Julius
But it is difficult to find:
  • Icons for every Usecase
  • Icons that matches together

And we need some talented Blender-Artist who can make good Render-Pictures of the uses Creatures to show the Counter in the GUI, and also for Buildings maybe to create good Icons for the Build-Menu.
You can find the premade "quick-n-dirty" icons here: assets\gui\images\monster They are actually 66x100.
goblin_item.png
goblin
goblin_item.png (8.79 KiB) Viewed 22938 times
orc_item.png
orc
orc_item.png (9.71 KiB) Viewed 22938 times

I think someone could do that better. We also don´t even have a Picture for the Thief yet.
Flipflop

Re: The AgentKeeper GUI

Postby Julius » 08 Feb 2013, 23:02

Ok I will look into nifty gui and if I can come up with a GUI template based on what can be found on OGA (+ some editing by me). No promises at this point however.

In general I would advise against using renders of the creatures in the GUI. That just breaks the style and as any open-source game sees an constant update to assets, those would need to be redone regularly.
I think the best would be to have some sort of 2D representative icons for each creature type, which can be used for other purposes too (like an larger scale overview map etc.). You can intuitively link those icons to the creatures if you have them hover above their heads in the 3D view as long as you hover over the icon with your mouse or such.

Edit: http://jmonkeyengine.org/wiki/doku.php/ ... :nifty_gui if others want to look into it also.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Flipflop » 09 Feb 2013, 11:25

Nifty Gui is easy to understand, that is the good point.

You can find the .xml file for the AgentKeeper Gui when you check out the Sources here:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
agentkeeper\assets\gui\DungeonHud.xml

You can just change the Layout, everything. Importand is that the ID from the Elements controlled by Code are the same like before.
As an Example, the Manastatus from the left top corner:

<panel id="mana" childLayout="vertical" width="70px">

<panel id="minusplus" align="left" childLayout="center" width="100%" valign="top">
    <text id="claimedtiles" style="nifty-label" text="+000" color="#0f0f" align="left" valign="top" textHAlign="left" />
    <text id="manacost" style="nifty-label" text="-000" color="#f00f" align="right" valign="top" textHAlign="right" />
  </panel>

<text id="manastatus" style="nifty-arial-label" text="00000000" color="#0dff" valign="bottom" textHAlign="left" />

</panel>

So the ids "manastatus, claimedtiles, manacost and claimedtiles" should not changed. Because the Code use this ID´s to change the values.
But you can totally put this text on other Panels, rezize it, whatever. Doesent matter. Just the ID need to be the same.

For the Buttons that have functionality you can easily create Methods in the XML:
<control name="button" label="Grid" id="OptionsButton2" visibleToMouse="true" height="50%" valign="center" align="left">
  <interact onClick="setGrid()" />
</control>

With this interact-tag. You can define them, doesent matter if they dont exist yet in the Code, and then tell the Coders you need a Method named for example "setGrid()". (In this case it already exists ^^)

You you want to know more about the Code you can find the implementations of the Methods triggered by the Gui here:
agentkeeper\src\main\java\jadex\agentkeeper\view\KeeperGuiController.java

Hope this Information will help you or anyone else who want to improve/change the GUI.
Flipflop

Postby Julius » 09 Feb 2013, 22:13

Hmm... I was actually hoping it would have an easy "theming" support, which would allow me to drop in modified graphics. However it seems I would actually need to work on rather low level GUI stuff first, which really isn't my area of expertise and I also lack the motivation to start digging into that to be honest.
If you need some help modifying some actual graphics (as opposed to XML files) I am happy to chip in though.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Flipflop » 10 Feb 2013, 00:39

Hey you can help alot with just droping graphics.

Like I already mentioned: Matching (and maybe complete ) Iconsets for our usecase would be a very very big help.

And I am using the rendered Monsters in the GUI because I dont have Icons for them yet.
Flipflop

Postby Flipflop » 10 Feb 2013, 17:14

Wow. I like you! Lots of realy great Sources!! Yeah, that is very nice.

That should cover almost everything. Just some coloring for Hover/Activate effects and...done. Cool.
Flipflop

Postby ArgNoCoffee » 25 Dec 2013, 09:58

Big thanks to Julius.

Here is a first try of changing the icon set. :)

greetings NoCoffee.
Attachments
useOfIcons.png
ArgNoCoffee

Postby Flipflop » 29 Dec 2013, 23:51

As I already said, I really like them, a good matching setup of Icons
Flipflop

Postby Julius » 17 Jan 2014, 17:14

Yes great :) If you need some more similar ones for other functions, these might be easy to adapt: http://thenounproject.com/ and not too different (if the b/w is inverted).
Julius
Community Moderator