Video Tutorial Feedback/Questions

Video Tutorial Feedback/Questions

Postby Flipflop » 07 Feb 2013, 12:26

Hey Guys,

please use this for Discussions/Feedback about the Video-Tutorials Video Thread or Questions about it.
Last edited by Flipflop on 08 Feb 2013, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Flipflop

Re: Video Tutoral Feedback/Questions

Postby TheAncientGoat » 08 Feb 2013, 06:57

Wow Flipflop, you're doing an excellent job open-sourcing the project! If only all FOSS games had tutorials like these.

Be patient waiting for contributors though, it is very rare to have a bunch of people hop on at once.

Have you posted regarding this project on the JmonkeyEngine forums, other dungeon-keeper fansites, or places like Reddit? Or an asset request thread on OpenGameArt? They might have more specific skillsets that could help the project, and might help it get more exposure
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Re: Video Tutoral Feedback/Questions

Postby Flipflop » 08 Feb 2013, 09:34

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Wow Flipflop, you're doing an excellent job open-sourcing the project! If only all FOSS games had tutorials like these.

Hey, yeah! Thank you :) Thought when I transfer this into a FOSS Project I have to make it as easy as possible for potential new Contributors.

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Be patient waiting for contributors though, it is very rare to have a bunch of people hop on at once.

Ok. Thank you for this very wise hint. I was totally overestimating the FOSS thing. I thought fist, just need to open the Code, show one or two Videos and lots of People happely join as Contributors.... :think:
...Well. As you can see you are the first one who replies to the Videos. And almost nobody watched them now. You are totally correct when you say I have to be patient.

But I will continue this Tutorial Series. Also later some Code-Tutorials. But thats of course a bit more complicated. I still have the hope to find some contributors. I think when I reach more and more in the Game (like you can make the first Missions, fight, and so on) I will find more People...... ;) .....maybe :D

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Have you posted regarding this project on the JmonkeyEngine forums, other dungeon-keeper fansites, or places like Reddit? Or an asset request thread on OpenGameArt? They might have more specific skillsets that could help the project, and might help it get more exposure

Yeah I started once a Thread in JMonkeyEngine forums. They even want to use parts of my second Gameplay Video for their next featured Video (maybe). Thats cool, really an honor. But, yeah, the People watch the Gameplay Videos, then 1% reply is is cool, or they cant wait until is finished and maybe 0,05% of these people think think about helping the Project :)

I should maybe do more advertising/networking. But this is not my special ability. The Project also needs one or two persons who join the community as promoter, who help raising the visibility of this Project.

Thanks for you great helping answer!

- Flipflop
Flipflop

Re: Video Tutorial Feedback/Questions

Postby charlie » 08 Feb 2013, 11:42

Another place to start a thread would be http://www.java-gaming.org which is the main Java-based hang out for games programming.

I'll just echo TAG's point about patience. If there's no movement after 6 months, I'd be worried, but after up to a month, it takes time for these things to propagate. Just bookmark the main places where you announce updates (so the Showcase&Collaboration thread here, a thread on java-gaming, a thread on jmonkeyengine, and perhaps http://www.reddit.com/r/opensourcegames and http://www.fsdaily.com too) and when you have a new release, post to these places.

(Other places might be the popular linux forums; I used to post Free Gamer updates to the gentoo forums, ubuntu forums, linuxquestions etc.)

Release early, release often; a regular stream of updates is the key to getting interest in your game.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 08 Feb 2013, 12:43

/r/opensourcegames is cool, but you're looking at pretty much the same people that read Freegamer there. If you want to go outside that, try http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming which is about 10 times the size, or http://www.reddit.com/r/indiegaming which is 3 times the size of that. Maybe even the main gaming subreddit, as DK is a very popular franchise.
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Flipflop » 08 Feb 2013, 13:11

@charlie @TheAncientGoat thanks for all the good links. Should invest some time to make good posts on these Pages.

*edit* also workin on a new promo-video for that

*edit2* done ^^

youtu.be/beY3NGaYG44
Flipflop