I want to Help, tell me how! :)

I want to Help, tell me how! :)

Postby Flipflop » 07 Feb 2013, 11:34

If you want to help, dont be afraid! Everyone is welcome!
This Project is not difficult to handle. We need Help an almost every Area (Code, Assets, GUI, "Story", Ideas....).

You should first take a look here: Help & Instructions how to handle everthing here, there are even Videos that explain a lot: Tutorial Thread. You will see it is not too complicated.

And then you can look what needs to be done for the Moment. But of course, also you own new Ideas are welcome!

If you want to know what has to be done excactly:
  • You are an good 2d Artist or Render-God? Take a look at the GUI Thread: Gui-Thread
  • A good start would be the overal Project-Progress List here: [ TODO :) ]
  • Or the Assets-List [ TODO :) ]
Last edited by Flipflop on 08 Feb 2013, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Flipflop

Re: I want to Help, tell me how! :)

Postby Konkwest » 08 Feb 2013, 00:30

i may be interested in helping with this project, but would need to be brought up to speed. i have previous programming experience in a derivative of object oriented C, which may or may not be of use. i am also a huge fan of the dungeon keeper series and may have many ideas or feedback to contribute.
Konkwest

Postby Flipflop » 08 Feb 2013, 09:42

Hey Konkwest.

Welcome to this Forum! I can see you are new here. How did you find this Forum? So you are more a coder then artist? Is that correct?

The first thing you always can do is to post you framerate when you maximize the Window, like explained here: Show your Framerate

You saw the Tutorial Videos? Tutorial Videos. They very basic, show how to setup the Project in Eclipse as Maven Project and then do some basic Artist-related stuff together with the JMonkey SDK. I will also make some Coding-Tutorials soon. But they will expect at least some basic Java expercience. I dont know how much Object C and Java have in common. Maybe you can find it out? But you also very welcome just to post your Ideas,
whatever it is here: Gameplay-Discussion

- Flipflop
Flipflop

Postby Julius » 08 Feb 2013, 23:28

I think you should mention somewhere that art contributions should be freely licensed, e.g. I would suggest CC-by-SA ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ ) or compatible to that.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Flipflop » 09 Feb 2013, 10:30

And also suggest to upload the Assets the same Time to OGA....or?
Flipflop

Postby Julius » 09 Feb 2013, 18:18

Not necessarily, as that is really the artists call if he wants the assets to be more widely available or more AK exclusive (even with a free license people usually don't rip graphics strait out of a game).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby AnimateDream » 13 Feb 2013, 01:00

The java and svn combination seems kind of obsolete to me :p, but I'd be happy to tackle a few programming tasks. I'm already familiar with java, maven, svn, game development, and a fair amount of best practices for them. I have never even heard of the rendering or ai libraries though, so I'll still have a bit of a learning curve.
AnimateDream

Postby Flipflop » 13 Feb 2013, 12:17

Hey, Welcome!

So you are already a Java coder, thats cool. Maybe the first step would be to look at my Videos of course, but specially for you how Java works with JMonkey. So this Page would be a good start maybe: http://jmonkeyengine.org/wiki/doku.php/jme3

Out AI is based on BDI-Agent. So you should look around what is an BDI Agent if you want to :)

But there also lots of basic-problems to solve with Java in the Game besides AI :) We need Help everywhere

- Flipflop
Flipflop