AgentKeeper Gameplay

AgentKeeper Gameplay

Postby Flipflop » 07 Feb 2013, 11:20

This Thread is about the general Gameplay. This is an DISCUSS Thread

Everything is free to discuss it. So if someone has an idea how he would like to change the Gamplay, then post it! Dont be shy :)

Information about the general Gameplay
  • DungeonKeeper 2 alike game. Dungeon Keeper Wiki
  • You are the AgentKeeper, a "bad" Person/Devil
  • Genre: Real-time strategy/god game
  • Only indirect Control of your Creatures.
  • Build up your own Dungeon in the underground
  • Fight against Heroes with (maybe) tower defense Elements
  • Care about your Monsters, otherwise they will dump you.

Additional Ideas we have about Gameplay
  • Implement personality for Monsters. Some random factors for every creatures like motivation, moral or obedient.
  • Realize some Towerdefense Elements. More than in the orginal Game. Difficult question is: Allow to place new Rock/Blocks or not? And how to involve the own creatures in TD-Elements?

New Ideas are collected/edit in this first Post.
Flipflop

Re: AgentKeeper Gameplay

Postby charlie » 07 Feb 2013, 15:19

I fixed your wiki url for you (you'd used a [list] tag).
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 08 Feb 2013, 23:08

I really like the idea of including tower-defense (e.g. Defense Grid like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defense_Gr ... _Awakening ) elements in it. Thus the dungeon heart should have some "gems" or such the heroes can try to steal, with various effects upon (partial) depletion of them.
One should also think about various tower/trap designs and how the concept of "pathways" from tower defense games could be transferred to AK.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Flipflop » 09 Feb 2013, 10:33

The most Important question is: Let the Player dig the "Monster-Pathways" (with some very bad penalty when they dont let a way open to the Dungeonheart) themselve or give them a fixed Pathway with solid Blocks?
Flipflop

Postby charlie » 09 Feb 2013, 13:09

I'm probably not the best person to contribute to this discussion because I disagree with some of the DK game design in principle.

I didn't like that you could just dig most places unless the blocks were immovable. Simple, yes, but it leads to template game play and there's no hard choices. You just dig big rooms. There's no tactical motivation or otherwise. I guess keeping some creatures apart was the benefit, but that was about it. The only consequence of digging a large area seemed to be it took the imps a while to seal it off.

I didn't like that you sealed off your dungeon either. That's daft. So these adventurers can dig through mountains but some pesky dungeon wall holds them up?

In my ideal dungeon building game, you start off with a cave or a partly-built disused dungeon. There is a path to the surface. You have to send out parties to gather food and wood (I would make resource management a key part of the game) and it becomes a balancing act; you send out too many/big raids and the locals start to notice. I'd have day night cycles for that purpose too. (I know you get to feed some creatures in DK but it's a throwaway feature, just so you can kill chickens really.) You could just build with the resources you get in the dungeon but they'd be very limited (and food scarce).

With a path to the surface, you'd have to build in defenses. Doors (basic obstacles) and traps would be key. This makes it more TD like in a way, because you can't just wall out the incoming forces, nor will they just break in at a random point. Then there becomes a benefit to making mazes or secret entrances, etc. (Of course, a long route to the exit hampers returning raids; traps need disarming etc. Secret entrances can circumvent this but an experienced adventurer will find them.) Dungeon design becomes an important feature rather than just plopping rooms wherever.

In this kind of game, there'd be a trade off to rapid expansion vs slow build, a balancing act where you manage the size of your dungeon vs it's population - if you build it too big without enough creatures to defend it, a small party could roam in and attack the heart. If you build it too rapidly, a big adventure party will come knocking on your door. You could have regular passers by (curious children or travellers) and you have to make a judgement call whether to kill them or let them explore in the hope they'll turn back before spotting that its a dungeon. (Of course, if you try to kill them and they escape... trouble!)

The end [future] goal would be multi-level dungeons that repel a significant attack (capture a King's crown?) then become notorious adventurer destinations. /pie-in-sky
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 09 Feb 2013, 22:24

Yes, I kind of agree, DK really suffered a bit from the too free-form base-building, making it a bit more of an early "the SIMs" predecessor than a real game.

Regarding the tower defense like pathways: like in Defense Grid a mix of predefined and freely diggable would be probably best, with maybe adding some digging capabilities by the heroes also. Here Charlie's idea of a pre-made cave with surface access could be a good starting point for a "narrative" why some parts are pre-made ;)

Edit: A GTA like "don't tease the police too much" gameplay element like Charlie described would be some fun too ;) Could be illustrated by some funny western style WANTED posters.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby chronomaster » 14 Oct 2013, 17:15

ummm.
in the gameplay video of the introduction thread link, the gameplay shows that te imps are claiming territorial squares without them being needing to be next to each other. is this intended? i think its supposed to need to be near an already claimed square for the imps to claim.

also, theres no shattering of stones/dirt rocks, when a dirt block has been dug. is an animation needeD?
chronomaster