unnamed plasma gun

Re: unnamed plasma gun

Postby ballist1c » 21 Nov 2013, 00:47

Evropi {l Wrote}:Since you're still refining the model, I thought I should post LuckyStrike-Rx's plasma concept. Feel free to take any ideas from this you wish... or none at all!

or just recreate it , that would be very nice of you :P
Image Joseph "ballist1c" Calabria

Bloodlust // Abuse // Insidious // Longest Yard 2000
ballist1c

Postby Unnamed » 24 Nov 2013, 11:44

updated: few changes
Unnamed

Postby Ulukai » 24 Nov 2013, 14:52

From what I see on the latest screen it looks much better now. Will have to test it again to see whether the animation is improved as well. I'll get back to you when I have tried it.
Ulukai

Postby Ulukai » 25 Nov 2013, 12:03

In-game the model looks a lot better now. I still have a feeling that more detail on upper part of the mesh would be better than only having details in texturing, but it looks nice anyway. The blue indicator on the side for the magazine work better now, thanks for that :) On top of the gun there are 2 bars as well, one of them is blue and indicates ammo too, but the other one is not used. Maybe it would be better to use both of them, or have that one be filled when cooking a secondary shot?

Reload animation still need the hands to touch the gun better imo. But the idea and the global look of it is very nice!
Ulukai

Postby BioHazardX » 25 Nov 2013, 21:51

From the screen it reminds me the smg...but it always looks better than the old one in game. I will try when it's finished.
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX

Postby Julius » 26 Nov 2013, 22:23

BioHazardX {l Wrote}:From the screen it reminds me the smg...but it always looks better than the old one in game. I will try when it's finished.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think this looks any better than the current one (about the same).

I don't want to discourage you though and would suggest with all what you learned now to start fresh and do a really nice weapon model.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby quintux_v » 27 Nov 2013, 00:20

BioHazardX {l Wrote}:From the screen it reminds me the smg...but it always looks better than the old one in game.

mmm... I don't agree. In general shape, it does, but as long as there's a good set of textures on top that differ from those of the smg, then I think it it'll be just fine.

Julius {l Wrote}:I don't want to discourage you though and would suggest with all what you learned now to start fresh and do a really nice weapon model.

Yes, and no. Maybe this one, he could restart, but he's already restarted the project once, and if he restarts every time there's a problem, nothing would get done. If the project is restarted, then there should be a good mock-up designed with our desired finished model in mind.

qreeves {l Wrote}:The basic design theme is that which has been set by fleeky (for the player) and luckystrike (for weapons and vanities) and also that by jojo (in relation to the 2D elements). My original description to these people were: "It needs to be sleek, sporty, with glowing parts to help visibility, and provide a cartoon meets realistic SciFi feel. Colours should be vibrant, and have a metallic finish."

In the case of weapons, your mask should provide a material layer in the alpha channel, with the appropriate settings in the model config. The material mask should control (most of) the glowing parts on the model so that I can dim it in software as the ammo count decreases. It should have bones, and be tagged for "tag_weapon" and "tag_muzzle". Weapons can have animations if you wish, the names of which are the same as the player animations (it just shares the animation info with the parent at the moment, nobody has used it yet so I have no idea if this works either).

Vanity items should follow the same general rules as the weapons. The material mask is highly encouraged so the vanity looks more like the player. Materials for the player are done from two ends of the spectrum, at one end is the player personal colour (or whatever effect is overriding it), at the other is their team colour.

from http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=4376&p=45074#p45074
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby Unnamed » 25 Dec 2013, 20:37

I restarted again trying to make it look a bit like LuckyStrike-Rx's plasma concept.
It doesn't look that over-detailed and some places need more details, but it has a rotating fan visible through a grid.
download new plasma model (screenshot in the first post)
I just took a quick look in-game after finishing the normals and mask texture and it's not finished yet, but it should be worth uploading it.
Unnamed

Postby greaserpirate » 25 Dec 2013, 21:45

Amazing work, Unnamed!

I wish it could be a bit bigger, but still, that is an awesome-looking gun :)

Friendship is Magic Voice Chat Mod
(Map) Trespass
(Map) Suspended
Find out more about >DOOM< here: www.redoomclan.tk
greaserpirate

Postby Julius » 25 Dec 2013, 21:53

Julius {l Wrote}:I would suggest with all what you learned now to start fresh and do a really nice weapon model.

See, worked out pretty well no? Cool new weapon!
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Ulukai » 26 Dec 2013, 10:46

From the screenshot it looks really nice. Thanks for your continued efforts!
Ulukai

Postby qreeves » 26 Dec 2013, 13:45

Tried it out in-game, and it does look pretty bad-ass. I have to agree that it could be scaled up a little.
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby TheLastProject » 26 Dec 2013, 21:10

Oh my gosh that looks quite cool. I hope you can get it to fit quin's demands because I'd love for this to be accepted, weapon models are where RE is most lacking currently.
Hats, Afros, wings and raptor feet. This game is showing progress indeed.
TheLastProject

Postby Unnamed » 27 Dec 2013, 10:42

I'm glad you like it :D
I reduced the size of the handle and scaled up the whole model (220 -> 300).
Unnamed

Postby qreeves » 27 Dec 2013, 12:22

The problem you are having with the model not showing on first use is due to the alpha channel in the skin conflicting with the internal blending done by the game. I'm not sure if we can fix this readily, and I wonder if the alpha channel is necessary?
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby Unnamed » 27 Dec 2013, 13:16

There is a fan under the grate on the back that would not be visible without the alpha channel. It could also be done by adding some verts instead of using alpha.
Unnamed

Postby qreeves » 27 Dec 2013, 13:28

Unnamed {l Wrote}:It could also be done by adding some verts instead of using alpha.

Yeah, might have to. I think it'd look better in the end anyway, as it is currently z-fighting.
qreeves

Postby Unnamed » 27 Dec 2013, 16:46

done and uploaded :)
I still have to change the reload animation for the player model and it seems to be difficult.
Unnamed

Postby quintux_v » 28 Dec 2013, 03:42

Beautiful. With a few tweaks (animation, mostly) this should definitely be included. You certainly have my vote :D
[eX] member
aliases: quintux_v | blakthunder
quintux_v

Postby qreeves » 28 Dec 2013, 03:49

I've included the current version in SVN, will hopefully give you enough feedback to make any finishing touches you might want to do. Unfortunately, I do not know much about animations myself.
qreeves

Postby restcoser » 28 Dec 2013, 11:01

One thing I noticed is that in contrary to the default weapons you cannot see the left side of the plasma most of the time.
This might be related to animations or it might not, but the default holding should be a bit like the smg I think. A bit closer to the eye, a bit more rotated so the side is more exposed.
restcoser

Postby freezurbern » 28 Dec 2013, 17:27

It looks good in SVN r6261! Would it be possible to animate it while charging the secondary?
Red Eclipse username: skiingpenguins
freezurbern

Postby Silux » 07 Jan 2014, 00:40

I never noticed it, but the only refined weapon model is the pistol.
The standard model for plasma is cool enough, but any model more detailed could be better.

The first model is the one i like more, but mainly because it's more detailed.
Graphic model also influence the expectation of the weapon from the player. A spiky design make you expect big damage and shrapnels.
A curvy and sharp on the end design could fit well, maybe with energy lines that light up toward the end as the shot is fired, pushing back without up recoil.
The reload could be also be letting the weapon to cool off as plasma can be fetched from heating the air and energy be provided by the suit.
Silux

Postby Ulukai » 08 Jan 2014, 15:23

The model looks very nice in SVN.
A proper reload animation would be great, I hope you can make it work!
Ulukai

Postby BioHazardX » 01 Feb 2014, 14:04

You should add a simply shake effect while loading the secondary fire (before shooting) to your model.
SURVIVAL STRATEGY!
BioHazardX